Prospect Info: 25th Pick in the 2024 NHL Draft - Dean Letourneau C | St. Andrew's College 6'7" 214

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
Sure you could try that and then wait and hope nobody else takes flyer on him I guess.Sweeney obviously wanted him as Sam Constantino alluded to though.I have no issue with this and hope it works out.

You also need a partner to trade down with. Maybe no one was clamoring for pick 25. Sweeney knew who he wanted and took him.
I prefer that than leaving it to chance that the guy is still there later on.
I'm just saying they could have drafted him plus recouped an asset or two.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Why are some people calling this a reach. It isn't. Not at 25.
Looks like he was ranked 23 from the quick Google I did? Late 1st round, anything between ~25-35 is fair game. I like the swing.

Poitras had a solid start but have to hope one of the centers we've drafted recently pans out or surprises. Long way to go but the upside while being a unicorn at 6'7 is exciting. Will be fun to see how he does in the NCAA.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Maybe with Big Joe on the podium to start the draft will have good luck on this beast of a kid.

I like the pick as I really wasn't much into the draft this year as the Bruins didn't have a 1st until the Ulmark trade.

We shall see what happens wirh Greenway going directly after him.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
The Letourneau pick is intriguing. Tall with reach and supposedly a good skater. His school numbers may be a bit inflated due to his size ... being bigger than most he may not have had a lot of push back from other players. He will learn quickly he won't be able to simply out size his opponents at the next level.

The next few years will be important in his development not only from an on ice development aspect but how he develops/fills out physically and the type of mental fortitude he develops.

What type of player will he become? Will he be a perimeter finesse player avoiding contact or a force of nature using his size to out muscle overpower opponents, something in between, or fizzle out into mediocrity?

We will have a much better understanding of what we have in 3 - 4 years. An intriguing pick in the possibilities of the potential; but it will take time.

Reactions: BMC

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Why are some people calling this a reach. It isn't. Not at 25.
I mean Greentree fell admittedly. But other than that, this doesn’t feel like a reach at all.

Also, I think they had Letourneau picked before they ever traded Ullmark. I think he was their guy for a while.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Letourneau intended to play at Sioux Falls next season, then play at Boston College in 2025-26. But with Will Smith, the No. 4 pick of the 2023 NHL Draft, signing with the San Jose Sharks on May 28, Letourneau will play NCAA hockey next season instead.

The goal before the college hockey season starts will be to add muscle to his frame, which would allow him to play more like one of his favorite NHL players, Buffalo Sabres center Tage Thompson (6-6, 220), who was 6-5, 195 pounds when the St. Louis Blues selected him with the No. 26 pick in the 2016 NHL Draft.

"I try to model my game after Tage Thompson," Letourneau said. "Just a big, tall centerman with skill. I love watching his puck protection and the way he uses his body to shield defenders. That's something I'm trying to incorporate into my game, too."

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I thought a lot of mocks/rankings had this dude as a late first. People love to hate on Sweeney's drafting, but this isn't a Senyshyn-level reach. I like the pick. He was on my short list of potential picks after the brief research I did after we got our pick back.

Huge potential with this pick, although feels like a high chance of busting, too. I'm excited none the less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad