GDT: [#25] Lightning @ Stars, 7:30 PM CST (FS-SW) - Reverse Retros in the hizzle

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Didn't expect them to manage to lose in a shootout again when i went to sleep.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oettinger is so bad one on one. If he doesn't learn, he'll be lucky to stay a back up in the NHL.

But....WHY THE f*** IS PAVELSKI IN THE SHOOTOUT?

I mean Robin Lehner is also horrible in shootouts as is Bishop . Many bigger goalies suck at them.

In this one i don't think he was really at fault. He didn't do his usual move around like crazy . He just got beat by great shots.

Last edited:

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I mean Robin Lehner is also horrible in shootouts as is Bishop . Many bigger goalies suck at them.

In this one i don't think he was really at fault. He didn't do his usual move around like crazy . He just got beat by great shots.

Yeah, I was definitely being melodramatic; I blame being half asleep all day because of the benadryl I've been popping like candy the past few days. :laugh:

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH

And Kari Lehtonen was great at the shootout. Shootout skills don't matter when the games matter most.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hopefully, getting better at NHL Level penalty shots and breakaways is something that can be taught or learned through experience. Otter appears to be too good to shut down for the 10-20% chance that a game will go to OT.

As to the game, another example of the old adage of "never leave a hockey game (or turn it off on TV)

There were flashes of last year's mid season and playoff run "never say die" attitude. Even flashes of playing better in OT, but also a flash of this year's OT ineptitude.

So, another glimmer of hope they are rounding into form, and (after ending the shutout streak against the Bolts) another moral victory.

However, I stand with many of you in believing that the PO's are just barely attainable, and we would start against these same Bolts (maybe Canes) and it is doubtful we will get past the first round. If so, perhaps we are better off just missing and hope for some lottery luck. Another gift of Miro or similar is what the Stars really need to build a contender.

Another glimmer of hope comes from JRob again. I noticed he was closest to the net on a few TB scrambles again, so he is taking the coaches admonitions to play defense pretty seriously. He shows he is a shoot out beast, made some pretty deft passes and generally seems to have a lot of on ice awareness. At the very least, when we lose Rads and Pavs, it looks like we have one more 20+/- goal scorer to replace them in house.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Radulov being back is fun. He certainly has an energy none of the other guys do. Having over a month off probably helped him his the ice with some ferocity now. The way he attacks the puck and tried to take it to the net is something the other guys need to watch.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Hopefully, getting better at NHL Level penalty shots and breakaways is something that can be taught or learned through experience. Otter appears to be too good to shut down for the 10-20% chance that a game will go to OT.

As to the game, another example of the old adage of "never leave a hockey game (or turn it off on TV)

There were flashes of last year's mid season and playoff run "never say die" attitude. Even flashes of playing better in OT, but also a flash of this year's OT ineptitude.

So, another glimmer of hope they are rounding into form, and (after ending the shutout streak against the Bolts) another moral victory.

However, I stand with many of you in believing that the PO's are just barely attainable, and we would start against these same Bolts (maybe Canes) and it is doubtful we will get past the first round. If so, perhaps we are better off just missing and hope for some lottery luck. Another gift of Miro or similar is what the Stars really need to build a contender.

Another glimmer of hope comes from JRob again. I noticed he was closest to the net on a few TB scrambles again, so he is taking the coaches admonitions to play defense pretty seriously. He shows he is a shoot out beast, made some pretty deft passes and generally seems to have a lot of on ice awareness. At the very least, when we lose Rads and Pavs, it looks like we have one more 20+/- goal scorer to replace them in house.
Playoffs are actually starting to look more realistic to me. Hawks seem to be slowing down and stars have been playing better lately , maybe not getting the results they want but that can quickly change the other way .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Radulov being back is fun. He certainly has an energy none of the other guys do. Having over a month off probably helped him his the ice with some ferocity now. The way he attacks the puck and tried to take it to the net is something the other guys need to watch.
Maybe Gurianov needs a month off .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Maybe Gurianov needs a month off .

Radulov has an energy very few players have. Its also what leads to his dumb penalties. He falls down to a knee and instead of quitting on the play he'll try to stickcheck on one knee. Might work or he might also get called for a tripping/hooking etc penalty. Thats not a learned skill. Rads just does that.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Playoffs are actually starting to look more realistic to me. Hawks seem to be slowing down and stars have been playing better lately , maybe not getting the results they want but that can quickly change the other way .
Wouldn’t mind if we squeak in as well myself at this point. Would like for Otter as well as other kids get some more of this time.

If we make the postseason our draft pick will be 16th+... If we don’t we’ll probably get a 12th pick give or take. Stars haven’t been great at drafting (not a great draft as well) so I’d rather play the youngsters and work towards next season.

Last edited:

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Wouldn’t mind if we squeak in as well myself at this point. Would like for Otter as well as other kids get some or more time.

If we make the postseason our draft pick will be 16th+... If we don’t we’ll probably get a 12 or so give or take.
With how good things look for the team next year , I would rather us make playoffs and keep radulov , pavelski. Who knows , we could be the 2019 jackets and sweep the bolts first round .

Reactions: Dynamite Time

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
With how good things look for the team next year , I would rather us make playoffs and keep radulov , pavelski. Who knows , we could be the 2019 jackets and sweep the bolts first round .
I totally agree.

- protect Pavelski over Dickinson
- keep Radulov
- Otter is our new 1B goaltender
- Seguin and Bishop will both be back
- we have the youngsters going into a new full 82 game season as well to help vets

Last edited:
Reactions: Bfantz

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I too would like to make the playoffs because, you know, that's the point of pro sports.

That mentality is exactly why we’ve been a mediocre team for 15+ years

The point of pro sports is to play for the championship. You want this team to miss out on better draft picks that could elevate them to a higher level so that you can watch hockey for a few extra weeks?

No thanks. I want to watch the team I root for chase and win multiple cups. Not get participation ribbons for making the post-season just to see them get their shit rocked by actual good teams.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

The point of pro sports is to play for the championship. You want this team to miss out on better draft picks that could elevate them to a higher level so that you can watch hockey for a few extra weeks?

No thanks. I want to watch the team I root for chase and win multiple cups. Not get participation ribbons for making the post-season just to see them get their shit rocked by actual good teams.

Next draft will be a complete crapshot. No point tanking for that. Just play out the year the best you can . Not to mention blatant tanking can do serious lasting damage . See the Sabres or the Oilers.

Reactions: Kipper 17

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Next draft will be a complete crapshot. No point tanking for that. Just play out the year the best you can . Not to mention blatant tanking can do serious lasting damage . See the Sabres or the Oilers.

Yeah have you seen the way we draft? Could care less if the draft is Russian roulette.

We need talent and skill. We’re sure as hell not going to be able to trade for it

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

Yeah, we all want that. The facts are any team in a 32 team league has about a 3% chance of winning it all. A few struggle forever, a few build dynasties, usually only for 3-5 years. Most, rise to the occasion every so often, including our Stars last year in the PO.

We know they are a perfectly just above average team, with capabilities for stretches of greatness (last year mid season run and the Playoffs) and stretches of despair (bookend losing streaks last year, prolonged losing so far this year.) While we all want the best at every position, the salary cap, age, etc. make that impossible. It would be an interesting exercise (and it's been done, I think) to rank the talent on all NHL teams. I bet most would come out about even, and the difference is coaching and intensity (which seems to be what makes the Stars good in their good stretches)

You are comparing the Stars to the Patriots and a few other GOAT franchises. We want it, but to get all huffy when it doesn't happen is probably not good for our mental health, LOL.

Not to mention, our lottery luck has been good exactly once out of the dozen plus years it's been in place. In most cases, we haven't moved up at all. So losing, and then losing out in the lottery probably means a 12th pick vs a 17th or so. The chances of another Miro are so small (especially this year, as noted) that playing to lose probably gains you nothing. And, it may cost you in terms of team atmosphere and culture (the famed "country club" years of the Stars) which can also cost you wins, points and standings position.

Overall, the entire system of reverse order draft picks, salary cap, etc. is geared towards making most teams like the Stars - good enough to inspire hope among fans. Big picture, expecting or demanding that any team does more than rise to the occasion every 33 years, (or twice in the last 20, if you count just making the finals as success) is just fool's gold. That said, it's what sports fans do, and the corollary to the above statement about fan hope is that with hope, there is frustration.

Just looked it up, and Stars rank 17th of 31 teams in regular season win %, and 12th in playoff wins. Another list I found covering just the 2010's have the Stars at 16th among 30+ teams.

Again, average to just above average. Again, what do we really expect in the real world?

Last edited:

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

The thing is , getting early draft picks gaurentees you nothing . Look at how many high picks the oilers have had or the flames or the yotes. It can take a very long time to get back to being a winning team if we go the rebuild route .They need to draft well period . The best teams usually have a solid core of veterans and late 1st rounders , 2nd rounders .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad