Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread VI

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Even with water finding it's level, they should be better than they've shown so far, don't you think? If Coyle, for example, returns to form as a 45 point guy, versus a 60, he should still be doing better than he is right now.
Maybe he doesn't unless he gets back into a 3c slot. He is out skilled on the matchups by a large margin.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Maybe he doesn't unless he gets back into a 3c slot. He is out skilled on the matchups by a large margin.

It seems to me that he always has drawn tough defensive assignments, though. Even when Bergie and DK were ahead of him in the charts. Am I remembering that wrongly? Either way, he is underperforming even for a guy that would put up third line numbers.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
You know that, or something like that (although not without problems itself), might not be a bad idea. It effectively slots both Zacha and Coyle one line down from where they were last year. The problem is that last year Zacha had Pasta on his wing and this year we’re giving him Lysell. Also, who’s the ???????? ? Too bad Merkulov isn’t ready: remember Lucic/Spooner/Pasta?
I don't think Merkulov fits the mold of what they need. I think they were hoping one of Brazeau, Jones, Tufte could fill the role of a net front/forechecker/grinder to compliment skill guys but so far they haven't stepped up to seize the opportunity.

Last edited:
Reactions: wintersej and BTO

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
it's not about Zadorov's play, it's the logic of spending big on a dman when we already have Lohrei as the long term top 4 answer and massive holes in the top 6.
I get what you are saying, but Loheri has a ton of talent, but he is a turnover machine right, hopefully he gets that out of his system real soon.

Puck ends up in the offensive zone a lot when either one of those guys is on the ice; the play ends up terminating there a lot with either one of them too. They're both arguably top-6 caliber forwards man, they're good. You're proabably a good forward group if Heinen's regularly in your bottom 6
They could not sign DeBrusk or Heinen, they did not have the cap room.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Lohrei's sadly looking a bit longer-term that we might have thought at the end of last season.
His preseason last year was rough, looked totally out of place but came on late. This year I think the preseason did them no favors. Maybe it was the schedule but it sure seemed like there was a lack of focus throughout with so many bodies and games. Not a lot of time to amp up

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm thinking this team with Lohrei and Wotherspoon as two of your 3 left side D isn't going to be beneficial. Lohrei's not top 4 material yet.
I think he probably will be, but it may take a couple seasons. Since they elected to move on from Grizz, there wasn’t a lot in the cupboard at LD. Zado is a legit NHL d-man.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think he probably will be, but it may take a couple seasons. Since they elected to move on from Grizz, there wasn’t a lot in the cupboard at LD. Zado is a legit NHL d-man.

And like they had 5 LD last season with at least 35 games. They don’t have a Lorhei or whatever sitting in Providence this year. They weren’t going to sign *someone*.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
What about Blake Wheeler? Boston was rumored to be interested in him this summer and last. He's a far cry from what he was but he's probably still better than Brazeau, Jones or Tufte. He's a UFA so they could add him at no cost/no risk...

March - Lindholm - Pasta
Wheeler - Zacha - Lysell
Frederic - Coyle - Poitras

Bruins probably should have taken a flyer on Pacioretty.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
What about Blake Wheeler? Boston was rumored to be interested in him this summer and last. He's a far cry from what he was but he's probably still better than Brazeau, Jones or Tufte. He's a UFA so they could add him at no cost/no risk...

March - Lindholm - Pasta
Wheeler - Zacha - Lysell
Frederic - Coyle - Poitras

Bruins probably should have taken a flyer on Pacioretty.

Isn’t Johnson still hanging around?

I mean 1 goal in 2 games?

Maybe it’s time for him to sign?

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Isn’t Johnson still hanging around?

I mean 1 goal in 2 games?

Maybe it’s time for him to sign?
He is, and signing someone like Wheeler would probably be a slap in the face to Johnson. I just picked Wheeler because I was hoping for someone with a net front presence and some size to go with Zacha and Lysell.

Reactions: sarge88

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Some UFA's who weren't signed...

Johnson
Wheeler
Zadina
McLeod
Silfverberg
Kubalik
Nylander

I know they all have warts, but could any of them be a band aid until the deadline?

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Johnson
Wheeler
Zadina
McLeod
Silfverberg
Kubalik
Nylander

I know they all have warts, but could any of them be a band aid until the deadline?
Doesn't McLeod have a couple pending charges? Doubt they want Miller situation again...

Clode

Mark Kastelic Enjoyer
Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
Losing Debrusk and Heinen basically cancels out whatever Lindholm adds to the lineup. If they were gonna let those two walk then they needed to add another impact forward in addition to Lindholm. They opted for Zadorov instead and through 7 games that looks like the wrong decision.
I think people are underselling how much losing Jake Debrusk is hurting them right now. Yea he was inconsistent and frustrating at times but that is still 25 goals and lots of speed that they did not replace.

I still maintain that taking Korpisalo back in the Ullmark deal was the big mistake, not signing Zadorov. He's overpaid for sure, but there is zero reason to have 3 million tied up in your back up goaltender. Hell, some teams aren't even paying their starters that much.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Send down Tufte or Jones and sign Johnson, you could also try guys like Lysell and Kuntar, beyond that the only way to improve the top 6 is a trade, which means trading a D , someone like Carlo or would they dare trade Zadorov after just signing him?

Clode

Mark Kastelic Enjoyer
Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH

Johnson
Wheeler
Zadina
McLeod
Silfverberg
Kubalik
Nylander

Johnson - The most likely of the bunch for sure. Didn't look terrible in camp but also didn't really move the needle.
Wheeler - Cooked imo
Zadina - Has had a lot of chances and couldn't stick, more of what we already have. Also attitude problems.
McLeod - Rapist, hard pass.
Silvferberg - If my memory is right he chose to go and play back home in Sweden so I doubt he has interest in coming back stateside so soon, good player in his day though.
Kubalik - This is the guy I'd want out of this bunch. Good shooter who has a 20 goal and 30 goal season under his belt, seems inconsistent though going by his stats. Had an abysmal year in Ottawa last year but that team sucked so it could just be an outlier.
Nylander - See Zadina, minus the attitude issues.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Johnson - The most likely of the bunch for sure. Didn't look terrible in camp but also didn't really move the needle.
Wheeler - Cooked imo
Zadina - Has had a lot of chances and couldn't stick, more of what we already have. Also attitude problems.
McLeod - Rapist, hard pass.
Silvferberg - If my memory is right he chose to go and play back home in Sweden so I doubt he has interest in coming back stateside so soon, good player in his day though.
Kubalik - This is the guy I'd want out of this bunch. Good shooter who has a 20 goal and 30 goal season under his belt, seems inconsistent though going by his stats. Had an abysmal year in Ottawa last year but that team sucked so it could just be an outlier.
Nylander - See Zadina, minus the attitude issues.
You have something with Kubalik, but he has Zegras disease, doesn't like defense Nylander is who I would have gone after before Toronto went and got him. Question is he considered Toronto property , if not I would take a run at him.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I think people are underselling how much losing Jake Debrusk is hurting them right now. Yea he was inconsistent and frustrating at times but that is still 25 goals and lots of speed that they did not replace.

I still maintain that taking Korpisalo back in the Ullmark deal was the big mistake, not signing Zadorov. He's overpaid for sure, but there is zero reason to have 3 million tied up in your back up goaltender. Hell, some teams aren't even paying their starters that much.
Valid points and a lot if what ifs.
What if DeBrusk was willing to take Zadorov's money then he would probably still be here and they wouldn't have signed Zedorov.

I would really like to know what deal at the deadline Ullmark turned down. One rumor was it was to LA, but what if it was really San Jose for Hertl, oh how thing would be different now.

Korpisalo the jury is still out, yes too much money, but hopefully he can steal us a few games and 15 - 20 wins spelling for Swayman. Can't have Swayman buring out the end of the year. The bigger question is how far away is Bussi from being ready?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad