Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread VI

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
We can agree to disagree about the effectiveness of Marchand, or whether he can still play first line minutes.
But I would like to find out if he is:
1) still recovering and getting in game shape,
2) lost a step, or
3) poor play of linemates that is the cause of his woes.
Flip floping Marchand with Zacha at least for a while may be helpful.
The old rat, long in tooth, Marchand still has more game breaking potential then Zacha has shown and better chemistry with Pastrnak.
There is no shame is seeing what's really left in Marchand's tank.
Can always switch them back if it doesn't help

E. Lindholm has many of the traits Bergeron had, but I agree he doesn't have the same drive or level of on ice awareness; many of the same tendencies though.

Again you may disagree.
It doesn't matter how he was used elsewhere by other teams all that matters now is how he plays here.
E. Lindholm would be considered a complementary first line player between Pastrnak and Marchand.
If Boston had a better center ideally E. Lindholm would slot in nicely as a sound two way 2nd line center.
But, he is currently the best center on the team.

Quick question are you related to Zacha in some way?
Have a crush on him?
Because I hate to break it to you, but on a Stanley Cup champion team he is not first line material.
Which championship team in say the last 50 years would he replace the first line wing or center on that championship team?
Zacha is a good player, but a first line player needs to have game breaking, game difference making, or game controlling potential (At least in my world).
Zacha, thus far in his career, is a complementary first line player, not someone who at any moment could be a difference maker.
Nothing wrong with that.
But, you shouldn't have two complementary players on the first line.

Yet, because Boston lacks skill and talent depth up front Zacha is one of the few options for the first line.
Question: If he were playing for the Panthers where would he slot - maybe second line?
With the NHL today and it's watered down talent pool it's easy to forget what true first line talent looks like.
With the watered down talent league wide the player’s stats expectations have diminished.
A player accumulating 40 - 60 points in a season would not be a first line talent 20 - 30 years ago.
First line players should put up 70, 80, 90 plus points each season during their prime.
i blame expansion and a watered down product.

Zacha is playing where he is because Boston doesn't have any one better, but that doesn't make him a true first line player.
Zacha at best - to date - is a second line player.
He has been in a position to change that perception for over a year now, but hasn't.
Not a knock against Zacha, he is a good solid second line player.
Again feel free to disagree.

If you really want Marchand on the second line then give him a play making center to work with, - please.
At least on the first line he could feed Pastrnak pucks all game long.
Marchand may be getting older but you still need to use players where they are going to be most effective, even if it's only certain games or occurrences.

Last year management and coaches were forced out of necessity to use many players in positions in the line up above their normal effective level.
Some of these players thrived when given the opportunity and had, for them, career years.
A regular season highlighted by overachieving without a true number 1 center and a career 3rd line center flourishing in a number 2 role.

Unfortunately the necessity of using players above their effectiveness level was exposed as a weakness in the playoffs where player matchups are exaggerated in importance.

It is said that water will seek it's own level.
I'm fearful to ask, Is what we are witnessing with some of last year's over achievers a regression?
Are players reverting back to their normal level of effectiveness after being asked to play up in the lineup?
Few players can sustain playing effectively above their career level for prolonged stretches of time.
For a short time, a season, sure; but maintaining that level is uncommon for someone who previously had not.

It may now be that years of low draft picks and lack of NHL ready high end forward talent in Boston's prospect pool is catching up to them and showing on the ice.
The team needs high end talent up front.
If not via trade this year then they need to prioritize high end forward talent next summer in free agency.
We have enough 3rd and 4th liners.

I hope it's just a slow start for some players and not regression,
but
Time will tell.
Well if they didn't spend 8 mil on your complimentary "BINKY "maybe they could have gone out and got a playmaker for Marchand. Zacha is a solid all-around player, i guess you don't count backchecking as part of the game, doesn't give up on the play, as improved his numbers every year. To answer your question, I am not related to or have a crush on Zacha, I guess I am just smart enough to recognize a good hockey player and the contract he is on, and I also recognize that they, have a center making nearly 8 mil and was playing third line, could have used the cap he eats up might have been better used. Now please enjoy your snuggle time with the 8 mil man.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Yeah, I forget the numbers but teams that aren't in the playoff picture by Thanksgiving rarely make it. If they wait another 15 games to get serious about their issues it will be too late.
Pat Burns went 3-4-1 when he got fired, it's never a high bar for a coach on the last year of his deal. He's 3-2-1 now with 2 of the next 3 against difficult opponents. Of course, Jay Leach would probably be the guy for the rest of the season so I'm not sure how much good it would do.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Pat Burns went 3-4-1 when he got fired, it's never a high bar for a coach on the last year of his deal. He's 3-2-1 now with 2 of the next 3 against difficult opponents. Of course, Jay Leach would probably be the guy for the rest of the season so I'm not sure how much good it would do.
Yeah, I don't know much about Sacco or Leach so I don't know if they'd be any better. I do think Monty's on the hot season and that there is legitimate cause for concern based on how they've played. It's very hard to overcome a bad start, so I'm glad to see they've recognized it and are making changes ahead of tonight's game.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Yeah, I don't know much about Sacco or Leach so I don't know if they'd be any better. I do think Monty's on the hot season and that there is legitimate cause for concern based on how they've played. It's very hard to overcome a bad start, so I'm glad to see they've recognized it and are making changes ahead of tonight's game.
Monty as done things that I have not liked, and he should be on the hot seat, but all the blame should not fall on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad