Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread VI

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Poitras is already at 15 or less shifts the past two games and lohrei was already scratched for Wotherspoon. While they certainly don't "hate" the kids they haven't overly trusted them this year yet either. How else do you explain TJ still sticking around waiting for a contract/spot to clear and continually rolling out the line 2 carousel at RW when Lysell is in the system? They also must not have had too much faith coming in with Lohrei to sign yet another LD to a long term deal in Zadorov? He and Lindholm are both here 6 more years. They have 7 players they have drafted the past 10 drafts (only would expect 2015-2022 to be contributing at this point in fairness)

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I said during the summer I wanted the Bruins to acquire a playmaking center for the second line.
Either a veteran for short term or a player that was buried in another system.
But, alas no cap space.
Best case scenario at the moment would be to move Zacha to line 2 center or use Poitras there and live with the mistakes.
If Poitras at center have Zacha on his wing.
Montgomery could flip flop them at center according to game needs.
Marchand moves to line 1.
Coyle to line 3 center.
At least for the next 10 plus games.
It would put players at their better efficiency levels throughout the line up.
Still would need someone to claim 2 line RW.

I think that's the hard part. Telling Poitras that he is the #2C but then giving him Zacha and an also ran just seems like you aren't setting him up to succeed. I like the idea of a Zacha/Poitras duo, but the third person on that line really needs to be an actual top 6 player.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Bruins won't play kids

Poitras, Beecher and Lohrei: WHAT ARE WE, OLD MEN TO YOU?

Merk is older than all 3 of those guys. Matty P is younger than Lysell.

Reactions: PB37

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You'd only need to send down all 3 if Johnson is signing for more then a 1mil, which shouldn't be the case considering he was a PTO guy that's still unsigned in late October

Or if you are actually trying to clear some cap space so that you might be able to add to this team at the deadline. I don't believe for a second that they will play all season with minimal cap space while sitting 2 forwards every night. They are almost certainly going to 13 forwards and a 22 moan roster soon,

Johnson should get no more than 775K (nhl minimum), maybe give hm an extra 25 or 50 K but every penny counts.

Question for Dom or others. When we were talking Swayman there was a penalty involved if they signed him after opening day, where the first year cap hit grows, Is that the same case for someone like Johnson If they sign him for 775

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I think that's the hard part. Telling Poitras that he is the #2C but then giving him Zacha and an also ran just seems like you aren't setting him up to succeed. I like the idea of a Zacha/Poitras duo, but the third person on that line really needs to be an actual top 6 player.
I think what you are trying to say is Zacha, is not a top 6 player.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Your claim is that it's disturbing how they treat their young talent. There's young talent on the Bruins. They don't feel Lysell is ready yet and will call him up when they feel like he is - not sure what the big deal is here.

I am not making a big deal. I am making a case for Lysell to get a look. If Brazeau/Tufte/Jones were producing I wouldn't really care.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
And you know this for certain?

To piggyback off this, I don't think that's a certainty at all. Lysell is a good defensive player.

I've seen him have a very high motor on the forecheck and backcheck pretty consistently.

I'm assuming they mean he's not going to be throwing punishing hits on the forecheck???

Reactions: Blowfish

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think what you are trying to say is Zacha, is not a top 6 player.

Zacha is a 2nd liner. Poitras isn't yet a 2nd liner. And the third person wouldn't be a second liner. If you had Poitras between two top six talents it's just a much better place for him to grow into the role. Asking him to also drag along a bottom sixer is a big ask.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Zacha is a 2nd liner. Poitras isn't yet a 2nd liner. And the third person wouldn't be a second liner. If you had Poitras between two top six talents it's just a much better place for him to grow into the role. Asking him to also drag along a bottom sixer is a big ask.
Your explanation is fine, but why does everyone want to break up Zacha and Pasta. You are right Poitras is not a second liner yet, but suggest that maybe third line or Providence, is where he should be until his game grows. Getting back Zacha, some seem to forget that he had 59 points last year, not too shabby.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Poitras is already at 15 or less shifts the past two games and lohrei was already scratched for Wotherspoon. While they certainly don't "hate" the kids they haven't overly trusted them this year yet either. How else do you explain TJ still sticking around waiting for a contract/spot to clear and continually rolling out the line 2 carousel at RW when Lysell is in the system? They also must not have had too much faith coming in with Lohrei to sign yet another LD to a long term deal in Zadorov? He and Lindholm are both here 6 more years. They have 7 players they have drafted the past 10 drafts (only would expect 2015-2022 to be contributing at this point in fairness)
It was the best roster move this season he played great in the very next game. I’m ready for him to sit again though because he’s playing awful in the dzone and he clearly needs to see it from a different angle.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Oh I agree.
That's why I said someone in the organization will have to step up and take ownership of 2RW or they may need to get creative and look elsewhere.
Hell, from what I've seen to date, even give Johnson a shot ... but someone at some point is going to get waived or traded ... so they will be making some sort of move.
Either XXXX Zacha Poitras
Or
Zacha Poitras XXXX
Heck, flip flop due to game situations - whatever works.
Give it a legitimate look, they can always go back to plugging Coyle in the middle down the road.
It can't be much worse than what's not working now.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Play dictates ice time.

Poitras has been terrible the last 2 games and so his shifts have been limited. He was very good against LA and he got 19 shifts.

Lohrei was -3 in his first game so yeah, he was scratched the next game for Wotherspoon (who played great). Since he's been back in, Lohrei has been better and he's seen his ice time grow from 15 to 18+ per game.

Lysell didn't earn a spot out of camp. Even his biggest supporters can't argue he had a great camp. Then he went to Providence and went scoreless in his first 2 games. Why would they call him up? What has he done to earn that call up? I was really hoping Lysell would pull a Heinen and put up 8 points in his first 4 games and get called up right away but that didn't happen. Merkulov isn't scoring either. I fully expect Lysell to be up as soon as he has a good string of games but that hasn't happened yet.

I'm not the biggest fan of Monty. I think he's a great person and I root for him, but if I'm being honest I think he's a "good" coach not a great one. I think he copies rather than innovates ( Cassidy and Julien innovated). I think the issue right now is that he's trying to follow 'the plan' to allow Zacha-Lindholm-Pastrnak a chance to become our first line but it isn't working. Geekie on the 2nd line isn't working either and a team can't be carried by their bottom6 forever.

The "plan" isn't working. Time to adapt, adjust, innovate... figure out what's working and why.

Last edited:

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Your explanation is fine, but why does everyone want to break up Zacha and Pasta. You are right Poitras is not a second liner yet, but suggest that maybe third line or Providence, is where he should be until his game grows. Getting back Zacha, some seem to forget that he had 59 points last year, not too shabby.
Sorry I don't have much faith in Zacha on the first line.
Zacha's production last year was from the middle not on the wing.
He's playing well at the moment, but the regular season masks a lot.
He (along with Coyle) was / were over matched in the playoffs and his / their production died up.
My feeling is he would be better served playing on the second line.
Coyle to the third.
Don't forget Marchand and Pastrnak are very familiar with each other on the ice.
They have history.
And E. Lindholm's attributes are very similar to Bergeron's though not as pronounced.
It is worth a look.

Last edited:

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Gotta love these boards. The Bruins are 3-2-1. They are 4th in the Conference and total panic is setting in. The two losses were to the Panthers.

The data we have so far is known as a small sample size. We have a lot of roster turnover. Our goaltender signed late. Gotta give this season 10 to 15 games for the team to settle in. The roles are not yet established. Yes, Monty was not happy with the effort so far. They can play better.

Last edited:
Reactions: CDJ and JoeIsAStud

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Gotta love these boards. The Bruins are 3-2-1. They are 4th in the Conference and total panic is setting in. The two losses were to the Panthers.

The data we have so far is known as a small sample size. We have a lot of roster turnover. Our goaltender signed late. Gotta give this season 10 to 15 games for the team to settle in. The roles are not yet established. Yes, Monty was not happy with the effort so far. They can play better.
Oh absolutely agree it is a small sample size.

What with all the player changes I'm willing to give the team 40 - 60 games to come together as long as they are staying in the hunt.

Where they finish overall isn't as important as qualifying and peaking as a group at the right time.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm not the biggest fan of Monty. I think he's a great person and I root for him, but if I'm being honest I think he's a "good" coach not a great one. I think he copies rather than innovates ( Cassidy and Julien innovated).

He also tried to push for a shot quality approach. Although they are certainly seeming to translate away from that... at least the line that is being successful right now.

I think he innovated on the breakout having the weak side D take off and be an outlet rather than play back "just in case". Can't say I have been paying attention on how much they are still doing that aggressively.

Perhaps its more damning than you are implying that the areas he did try to innovate they are stepping back from, or should be.

This is all very true AND all the information we have except the play of the fourth line is really really really bad. So while everyone who turned their panic volume up to 11 should be reading your post, folks just whistling past the graveyard need to pay attention to the warning signs, too.

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If those things level off?
But if Frederic, Marchand, Coyle etc level it’s a plus

Zach Hyman is 0.0

Dustin Pedroia hit under 150 in April and by end of season was over 300

Corbin Carroll hit 2 homers first 2 months then hit a dozen in a month

My suggestion to Monty is Swedish Perfection Line

Coyle & Frederic with Johnson

Unfortunately they probably are ok until Sacco gets the job and they take off on epic run ~

Sacco Magic

Reactions: LouJersey

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Sorry I don't have much faith in Zacha on the first line.
Zacha's production last year was from the middle not on the wing.
He's playing well at the moment, but the regular season masks a lot.
He (along with Coyle) was / were over matched in the playoffs and his / their production died up.
My feeling is he would be better served playing on the second line.
Coyle to the third.
Don't forget Marchand and Pastrnak are very familiar with each other on the ice.
They have history.
And E. Lindholm's attributes are very similar to Bergeron's though not as pronounced.
It is worth a look.
Marchand is not the player he has been in the past, just have to except it, there is a time in all careers that it happens, does not mean cannot be effective, but he is no longer a first line player. Coyle stepped up last year and had a career year, yes it would be nice if he could play third line but you need first- and second-line centers for that to happen. Lindholm is not even close to be a Bergeron, he was third line in Vancouver, please get off that train. Zacha is a first line player and him and Pasta have chemistry that I have not seen from Lindholm and Pasta.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
But if Frederic, Marchand, Coyle etc level it’s a plus

Zach Hyman is 0.0

Dustin Pedroia hit under 150 in April and by end of season was over 300

Corbin Carroll hit 2 homers first 2 months then hit a dozen in a month

My suggestion to Monty is Swedish Perfection Line

Coyle & Frederic with Johnson

Unfortunately they probably are ok until Sacco gets the job and they take off on epic run ~

Sacco Magic
I want to see at some point

63-28-88
18-13-21 (or whatever # Lysell is)
11-51-45

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Play dictates ice time.

Poitras has been terrible the last 2 games and so his shifts have been limited. He was very good against LA and he got 19 shifts.

Lohrei was -3 in his first game so yeah, he was scratched the next game for Wotherspoon (who played great). Since he's been back in, Lohrei has been better and he's seen his ice time grow from 15 to 18+ per game.

Lysell didn't earn a spot out of camp. Even his biggest supporters can't argue he had a great camp. Then he went to Providence and went scoreless in his first 2 games. Why would they call him up? What has he done to earn that call up? I was really hoping Lysell would pull a Heinen and put up 8 points in his first 4 games and get called up right away but that didn't happen. Merkulov isn't scoring either. I fully expect Lysell to be up as soon as he has a good string of games but that hasn't happened yet.

I'm not the biggest fan of Monty. I think he's a great person and I root for him, but if I'm being honest I think he's a "good" coach not a great one. I think he copies rather than innovates ( Cassidy and Julien innovated). I think the issue right now is that he's trying to follow 'the plan' to allow Zacha-Lindholm-Pastrnak a chance to become our first line but it isn't working. Geekie on the 2nd line isn't working either and a team can't be carried by their bottom6 forever.

The "plan" isn't working. Time to adapt, adjust, innovate... figure out what's working and why.

Couldn't agree more. If they are just so so by december, I do think they could fire him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad