Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
time will tell
overall if there was a huge numbers crunch I don't think it would come back to haunt you, but he seems to fit the model they are designing right now. You are certainly correct in saying he has not locked down anything, but IMO he's prob worth keeping as a bottom six guy and see how it goes.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
19 games last year
9 playoff games

That's not a lock
I’ll agree that he’s not a lock. But your reasoning is poor. He got his look near the end of the season last year and never looked back. Team was better with him on it… and in a way more significant than you typically notice with fourth line, 10 min/night players.

He was touted as being a gentle giant. A player with size who utilized it for puck protection, but would be passive without the puck. That’s not the guy I saw. He was very effective on the forecheck and along the boards and used his size advantage frequently rubbing defenders out of the play.

It was as though he was told “this is what we need to see if you wanna stick.” And he took it seriously. Emptied his tank each and every shift. If those 28 games look like his next 82, he’s in Boston full-time, full-stop.

But the worst thing that can happen with him is if he finds himself becoming comfortable. Not everyone is Brad Marchand and can keep that energy level that high for entire seasons. Brazeau can go from real good to real plug real fast if he allows a feeling of security to give him “permission” to take his foot off the gas.

We don’t know what will happen. But from what we’ve seen, I think the guy is an absolute gem of a player. But no lock. It won’t take much to sour on him.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

As Bruins fans wait in anticipation for Jeremy Swayman and the Bruins to agree on a new contract, they can pass the time by rewatching the 25-year-old goaltender’s dominant playoff run on the small screen this fall, thanks to Amazon Prime Video.

Both Swayman and fellow Bruin David Pastrnak will be featured on “FACEOFF: Inside the NHL,” a six-episode docuseries produced by Box To Box and NHL Productions that will launch on Oct. 4.

The series will showcase exclusive access with some of the top stars in the NHL, with video crews embedded with several players and their families throughout the 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Each episode will offer insight into players’ lives during the playoffs, including mic’d-up content on the ice, in the dressing room, and away from the rink.

Both Pastrnak and Swayman will be featured in their own episodes.

Pastrnak and Toronto Maple Leafs forward William Nylander will be the central focus for Episode 1, titled “Best of Rivals,” with Boston’s first-round matchup against the Maple Leafs the subject of the opening episode. Pastrnak and Nylander are longtime friends since playing on the same junior team in Sweden.

“If we don’t get the Cup, it doesn’t matter who moves on from the first round,” Pastrnak tells Nylander as the two eat at a restaurant in the newly released trailer for the series.

Swayman is featured in Episode 3, titled “Learning to Win,” alongside Florida Panthers forward Matthew Tkachuk.

You can watch the trailer for “FACEOFF: Inside the NHL” below.

Other NHL stars set to be featured in the series include Oilers captain Connor McDavid and forwards Leon Draisaitl and Zach Hyman; Golden Knights forward Jack Eichel; Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog; Predators forward Filip Forsberg; New York Rangers captain Jacob Trouba; and Canucks captain Quinn Hughes.

Boston sports has been a familiar subject on the small screen in 2024.

“The Dynasty” — produced by Apple TV+ — aired earlier this year and recapped the Patriots’ two-decade run atop the NFL (while drawing plenty of criticism from fans and former players along the way.)

“Starting 5″ — a docuseries focusing on Celtics star Jayson Tatum along with other top NBA players during the 2023-24 season — will be released on Netflix on Oct. 9. Netflix is also releasing a docuseries about the 2004 Red Sox on Oct. 23, while later releasing another series in 2025 that will document the Red Sox’ 2024 season.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
A lot of the big guys they brought in can skate. Jones can fly, Kastelic can skate, Zadorov can skate… I don’t see any Pat Maroon’s on this roster.
Kastelic doesn’t strike me as being a great skater, but honestly I haven’t seen enough from him to say for sure. Zadorov can move for his size, but he’s no Carlo or Hampus Lindholm either. Brazeau may not be Maroon, but he’s Maroon adjacent. Agreed on Jones though… f***ing love that guy and I almost wonder if he could succeed on the third line rather than the fourth. He may have more pop to his offense than he’s shown so far.

It’s an overall thing. Last season the Bruins looked more… let’s say deliberate… than I love. Sweeney mentioned it in his presser before FA too. And then they lost one of their quickest top six guys. I thought they needed to get faster. Instead I believe they got slower.

They also got bigger and a hell of a lot meaner, so it’s a trade off I’m willing to smile about. But it’s a small thing that I think will show as we watch them attempt to contain the smaller, more skilled and quicker teams.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I’ll agree that he’s not a lock. But your reasoning is poor. He got his look near the end of the season last year and never looked back. Team was better with him on it… and in a way more significant than you typically notice with fourth line, 10 min/night players.

He was touted as being a gentle giant. A player with size who utilized it for puck protection, but would be passive without the puck. That’s not the guy I saw. He was very effective on the forecheck and along the boards and used his size advantage frequently rubbing defenders out of the play.

It was as though he was told “this is what we need to see if you wanna stick.” And he took it seriously. Emptied his tank each and every shift. If those 28 games look like his next 82, he’s in Boston full-time, full-stop.

But the worst thing that can happen with him is if he finds himself becoming comfortable. Not everyone is Brad Marchand and can keep that energy level that high for entire seasons. Brazeau can go from real good to real plug real fast if he allows a feeling of security to give him “permission” to take his foot off the gas.

We don’t know what will happen. But from what we’ve seen, I think the guy is an absolute gem of a player. But no lock. It won’t take much to sour on him.
I posted stats but not reasons but whatever
All I'm saying I im not ready to anoint him anything

Did he look good....yeah I hope he makes it....
But I am reminded of petr kalus and so many others that start out hot and burn out.....also donato comes to mind...

Like I said.....I hope he does well....but pump the brakes here

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
overall if there was a huge numbers crunch I don't think it would come back to haunt you, but he seems to fit the model they are designing right now. You are certainly correct in saying he has not locked down anything, but IMO he's prob worth keeping as a bottom six guy and see how it goes.

They may lose a couple guys this waiver period. They have a bunch of guy who can play in the league even if it is just role players

Brazeau is one of those guys. They have a bunch of guys who are big, physical, an work in the corner. Many of them can really skate (JB is below average there). JB has to continue to show he can put the biscuit in the basket or else

Interesting i see as i type this they are pushing JB to see if he can fill a role as a PK. Not something I expect to see every game from him, but good to see they are pushing him to see if he can compete with some of the guys who can do that

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I agree on all counts.

Underrated speed - and I find myself guilty of doing the underrating.

One of the concerns I have going into this year is overall team speed. But I find I frequently put Freddy in the “slow” category for his size alone, while fully understanding how unfair that is.

There is so much to like about his game. I hope he’s here for a while.

I would bite the bullet now with Freddy and go 5x5. I don't think it's wise to go longer because that's right about the age that power forward types tend to decline.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
They may lose a couple guys this waiver period. They have a bunch of guy who can play in the league even if it is just role players

Brazeau is one of those guys. They have a bunch of guys who are big, physical, an work in the corner. Many of them can really skate (JB is below average there). JB has to continue to show he can put the biscuit in the basket or else

Interesting i see as i type this they are pushing JB to see if he can fill a role as a PK. Not something I expect to see every game from him, but good to see they are pushing him to see if he can compete with some of the guys who can do that

What Brazeau lacks in speed, makes up for with puck protection and talent that many of the competing larger forwards cannot provide. Netfront presence on PP etc. His willingness to hit in the playoffs was a glimpse of an ideal 3rd liner. Mix in the Jones/Kastelic/Tufte/Beecher/Frederic types and there is plenty of the toughness as well.

Ozzy Osbourne

Nov 14, 2023
Braz looked invisible early tonight and then scored a beauty in close. What are thoughts on him with Marchand and Coyle? I Could see that line clicking.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He's definitely in that 4-5 mil range and obviously long term

I would do 4 right now

You win with guys like Freddy

He goes thru stretches where he's not as noticeable but his counting stats go up every year - however his TOI stays under 14. Which is fine... he's a third line grinder who makes the most of his minutes but it does make you wonder if with more time in an offensive role, would he be able to pad his points a little more or would he falter under the increased attention from better defenders?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
He’s dreaming if he thinks he’s getting top money. Too invisible at times for his build.
I feel like 5x5m would be selling himself low today. 5x6m is likely out of reach today but that’s where I think he’d end up if he takes another stop forward in production. Specifically at 25 goals or 50 points I think he could command that easily. If he remains at 20 and 40, 5x5 would still make sense.
I wouldn’t classify Frederic as someone with speed. He’s certainly improved his skating, but I don’t think he’s top 1/2 the league.
This page says that you are wrong about this.

I’ve always heard people say that skating was a strength of his. I see it in his effort in terms of burst but the top end speed above the 90th percentile was surprising.

Attachments

• IMG_2899.png
    IMG_2899.png
    161.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2898.png
    IMG_2898.png
    121.6 KB · Views: 0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad