Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
To Boston:

LW Patrik Laine (50% retained, $4,350,000 / 2 Years)

To Columbus:

C Pavel Zacha ($4,750,000 / 3 Years)

Both have a M-NTC of 10 teams they can put on a no-trade list. This is just summer talk to pass the time but do you do it given the playoff performances of Zacha vs. the possible upside of a healthy (inside and out) Laine?

You'd be giving the LW spot Zacha was going to play to Laine and saving about 400K while also giving Columbus a C that they need. You'd then run Lindholm - Coyle - Geekie/Poitras down the middle and then Laine - Marchand - Frederic on the LW.

Team also gets EVEN BIGGER as Laine is 6'5".

Just love hearing Bruins fans thoughts during the slow summertime.

Cheers!

I'd see if you could get a 3rd team involved and do a double retain on Laine. Using the calculator on Puckpedia it looks like it'd take a early 2nd round pick to have another team retain $2,175,000 million for 2 years.

You'd likely need to use CBJ's 2nd as it'd be better than BOS 2nd. Depending on what Swayman gets you'd still need to shed some cap to make Laine fit even at double retained.

To CBJ: Geekie + '25 1st (BOS) + '26 2nd (BOS)
To BOS: Laine @ $2,175,000
To ANH: '26 2nd (CBJ)

No idea if this would work, but cap wise it allows the B's to also sign Swayman. CBJ maybe looks for more as they'd be trading the better player and retaining $4.35 million for two years. Is a 1st + Geekie + moving back in the 2nd round enough for Laine with 50% retention from CBJ?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Who does this kid think he is. Not a good teammate already. Earn it kid.
they said there wasn't a clear path for him to make it

No chance he's getting into that forward group no matter what.

Reactions: CDJ

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
they said there wasn't a clear path for him to make it

No chance he's getting into that forward group no matter what.
Lou, I like your point about wanting him asking for NHL time because why should he leave college for the AHL. Its a legit counter argument.

Things to consider though: US college is competition is not NHL development like the AHL is. 99% of players need time in the A to prep for a career in the NHL. Even if his skills are NHL level already, is his mind ready?
Nobody knows that because he has had no AHL or NHL games yet.

The fact that he had the option to turn pro, get in the AHL, then impress and earn a spot and DID NOT CHOOSE to do that speaks volumes. Hockey is not about open jobs. Its about dead mans boots, you have to take someones job from them. If you cant do that, you don't get a spot on the team.

Yeah, he may be blocked. That roster on RW has Vilardi & Perfetti on the right and Connor & Ehlers on the left. I can see why there was talk of moving Ehlers to make room, but that has not happened. McGroarty is NOT taking the jobs of any of those guys. So asking to be moved makes sense, but its also bad optics as you can see just from the responses here. It makes him look like an entitled kid who demands everything he has yet to earn.

The reports could be fake bluster to push either side into blinking. But if they are true, and there is some weight to that since he has not been moved yet with articles stating his demands are turning teams off, then this is on this kid and his agent.

You gotta prove yourself in hockey. Rutger may have done that to the extent of college level, but he has to start again in the AHL and earn it. If for the very least to earn the trust and respect of his coaches and teammates.

My 2 cents, which is worth about half of that.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I'd see if you could get a 3rd team involved and do a double retain on Laine. Using the calculator on Puckpedia it looks like it'd take a early 2nd round pick to have another team retain $2,175,000 million for 2 years.

You'd likely need to use CBJ's 2nd as it'd be better than BOS 2nd. Depending on what Swayman gets you'd still need to shed some cap to make Laine fit even at double retained.

No idea if this would work, but cap wise it allows the B's to also sign Swayman. CBJ maybe looks for more as they'd be trading the better player and retaining $4.35 million for two years. Is a 1st + Geekie + moving back in the 2nd round enough for Laine with 50% retention from CBJ?
Thats a lot to give up for a player who has been wildly inconsistent, has supposed issues with motivation, has had injury issues, and is currently in the NHL/NHLPA assistance program.

He hasn't played 60+ games since 2019.

I like the potential Laine has always shown, but at this point he is what he is.

Pass from me personally.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

What an awful trade that would be for us.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
If the McGroarty stories are accurate, no way does he end up on the Bruins. Sweeneely won't be having that.
Agree 100%, if this kid thinks he deserves guaranteed playing time in the NHL I hope he enjoys his career in Europe. Want nothing to do with entitled brats. If he is not saying this stuff and his agent is he needs a new agent immediately.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Thats a lot to give up for a player who has been wildly inconsistent, has supposed issues with motivation, has had injury issues, and is currently in the NHL/NHLPA assistance program.

He hasn't played 60+ games since 2019.

I like the potential Laine has always shown, but at this point he is what he is.

Pass from me personally.

Is he wildly inconsistent production wise? I guess it depends on what you mean by wildly inconsistent.

SeasonTmGPPTSP/GP
2016-17WPG73640.88
2017-18WPG82700.85
2018-19WPG82500.61
2019-20WPG68630.93
2020-21WPG/CBJ46240.52
2021-22CBJ56561.00
2022-23CBJ55520.95
2023-24CBJ1890.50

This season he played 18 games, so I don't put much stock in his numbers there. In 3 of the next 4 seasons he was pretty much right around the same area. The one season he wasn't was the season he split between CBJ & WPG.

His worse season with at least 40 games played had him playing at a 42pt pace. Morgan Geekie just had the best year of his career....where he was playing at a 42pt pace.

Over the last 5 seasons, Laine ranks 38th in G/GP among all NHL forwards with at least 100 games played. He just turned 26yrs old, its not like he's an over the hill vet. He's still in his prime and would be under contract for two seasons.

Geekie - RFA after this season
1st - If they ever make it they'd likely be 2-3 years away from making the roster at best
2nd - Similar to a 1st, but likely 3-4 years away at best.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Lou, I like your point about wanting him asking for NHL time because why should he leave college for the AHL. Its a legit counter argument.

Things to consider though: US college is competition is not NHL development like the AHL is. 99% of players need time in the A to prep for a career in the NHL. Even if his skills are NHL level already, is his mind ready?

The fact that he had the option to turn pro, get in the AHL, then impress and earn a spot and DID NOT CHOOSE to do that speaks volumes. Hockey is not about open jobs. Its about dead mans boots, you have to take someones job from them. If you cant do that, you don't get a spot on the team.

Yeah, he may be blocked. That roster on RW has Vilardi & Perfetti on the right and Connor & Ehlers on the left. I can see why there was talk of moving Ehlers to make room, but that has not happened. McGroarty is NOT taking the jobs of any of those guys. So asking to be moved makes sense, but its also bad optics as you can see just from the responses here. It makes him look like an entitled kid who demands everything he has yet to earn.

The reports could be fake bluster to push either side into blinking. But if they are true, and there is some weight to that since he has not been moved yet with articles stating his demands are turning teams off, then this is on this kid and his agent.

You gotta prove yourself in hockey. Rutger may have done that to the extent of college level, but he has to start again in the AHL and earn it. If for the very least to earn the trust and respect of his coaches and teammates.

My 2 cents is he doesnt want to go from the University of Michigan to the Manitoba Moose. Although they share the same arena, the facilities may also be a downgrade. Im sure the dunk would be a dungeon to him.

Reactions: CDJ

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I can't see CBJ wanting to retain 50 percent and taking back a 2 mill player. They'd essentially be paying Geekie over 6 mill for next year to be their third line center/winger.

A middle 6 forward + two scratch tickets for a guy who can play at nearly a P/GP pace is an awful trade for us? Interesting

Laine is a scratch ticket himself because nobody knows if he'll rebound after these past few injury plagued seasons.

Reactions: Gordoff

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I can't see CBJ wanting to retain 50 percent and taking back a 2 mill player. They'd essentially be paying Geekie over 6 mill for next year to be their third line center/winger.

I'm sure they wouldn't want to either. They have said though that they are open to fulfilling Laine's trade request. CBJ has the 4th most cap space in the NHL, so cap space isn't really an issue. The question really is do they want to pay $9.1 million to Laine for the next 2yrs to play somewhere else. Again, likely not, but teams looking to add Laine are teams that don't have a lot of cap space to fit him in.

Reactions: Coach Parker

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Laine is a scratch ticket himself because nobody knows if he'll rebound after these past few injury plagued seasons.

Laine has a track record of what kind of production he can put up. You won't know for a good 4-6 years after they've been drafted what you really have in those picks.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
A middle 6 forward + two scratch tickets for a guy who can play at nearly a P/GP pace is an awful trade for us? Interesting
Yes. Those “scratch tickets” are incredibly valuable. There are a lot of reasons to be concerned about moving all those pieces for him. He’s hit p/gp once in his career and that was right on the button. Not in a full season though. He played all of 18 games last year. He’s a career .80 p/pg player which is good but not p/pg good. Would I be happy to have him? Sure? Would I be willing to give up your proposed return for him? Not even remotely? I’m not sure how good he is on his off wing otherwise he’s a 2nd line winger on our team.

Laine has a track record of what kind of production he can put up. You won't know for a good 4-6 years after they've been drafted what you have in those picks.
We get it you don’t care about draft picks but they are important

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

not at all, great post.

Ideally you want your guys to go to the A and make a name for themselves and push the issue. If he wants to be a pro hockey player, pay the dues and whatnot, I get it and agree, but something just sounds weird here.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yes. Those “scratch tickets” are incredibly valuable. There are a lot of reasons to be concerned about moving all those pieces for him. He’s hit p/gp once in his career and that was right on the button. Not in a full season though. He played all of 18 games last year. He’s a career .80 p/pg player which is good but not p/pg good. Would I be happy to have him? Sure? Would I be willing to give up your proposed return for him? Not even remotely? I’m not sure how good he is on his off wing otherwise he’s a 2nd line winger on our team.

We get it you don’t care about draft picks but they are important

You're kind of generalizing my comment. I never said he was a P/GP player. I said he can play at nearly a P/GP pace.

On draft picks, don't get me wrong, I care about draft picks. However, I think people over value them significantly. Look at the current roster. The core of your team is in their prime now. I'd rather not waste that in hopes that 4-6 years from now we have a guy whose contributing at the NHL level. Lets look at some 1st & 2nd rounders for the B's. I'll leave out the last 3 draft classes since its still a early for them to be knocking on the door, and we'll start when Sweeney took over in 2015.

Fabian Lysell - 1st rounder in 2021.....might crack the NHL roster in 2024
Mason Lohrei - 2nd rounder in 2020....got his first NHL experience in 2023
John Beecher - 1st rounder in 2019....got his first NHL experience in 2023
Axel Andersson - 2nd rounder in 2018.....has never played in the NHL
Urho Vaakanainen - 1st rounder in 2017.....Last year was his first year not bouncing between the AHL & NHL
Jack Studnicka - 2nd rounder in 2017....barley has 100 nhl games under his belt and is on his 4th team in 3 years
Charlie McAvoy - Stud
Trent Frederic - 1st rounder in 2016....6 years after being drafted he became a solid 3rd line winger
Jakub Zboril - 1st rounder in 2015....76 career NHL games and currently a UFA
Jake DeBrusk - 1st rounder in 2015....solid 40-45pt winger
Zach Senyshyn - 1st rounder in 2015.....I think he's in the DEL now
Brandon Carlo - 2nd rounder in 2015.....Stud shutdown Top 4 guy
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson -2nd rounder in 2015.....retired 2-3 years ago after a short stint in the SHL
Jeremy Lauzon - 2nd rounder in 2015.....solid 3rd pairing physical d-man

I see 14 players here. 6 of them (JFK, Senyshyn, Zboril, Studnicka, Vaakanainen & Andersson) have turned into nothing players. That means 42% of 1st and 2nd rounders over a 6yr period have not panned out. Of the guys remaining:

Lysell, Beecher & Lohrei - show promise, but we're still not sure what we got.
McAvoy & Carlo - impact players
DeBrusk, Frederic & Lauzon - quality complementary players.

So how it all breaks down the way I see it.

42% - you end up with nothing
22% - quality complementary players
22% - show promise but still are unknown
14% - impact players

A guy like Laine can be an impact player. Based on what I've laid out above, the odds of us getting an impact player with a 1st or 2nd rounder is low.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Just sharing what I heard...I've lowered my expectations.
You'll hate Kastelic. When he is on his game he hits, fights, plays very much on the edge and takes penalties for aggression. I believe you are still trying to get rid of Frederic who will probably score 25 this year but won't win the Eric Heiden speed skater of the year award or be in the running for the Lady Byng. You are really going to hate Jones and Zadorov. Meanwhile I'm looking forward to a team that plays with an edge for the first time in far too many years.

Still holding out hope, very slim hope but hope, the Jeffery Viel makes the team.,

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
You'll hate Kastelic. When he is on his game he hits, fights, plays very much on the edge and takes penalties for aggression. I believe you are still trying to get rid of Frederic who will probably score 25 this year but won't win the Eric Heiden speed skater of the year award or be in the running for the Lady Byng. You are really going to hate Jones and Zadorov. Meanwhile I'm looking forward to a team that plays with an edge for the first time in far too many years.

Still holding out hope, very slim hope but hope, the Jeffery Viel makes the team.,
I’d use Viel like the Hawaiian shirt in my closet

Special games

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
You're kind of generalizing my comment. I never said he was a P/GP player. I said he can play at nearly a P/GP pace.

On draft picks, don't get me wrong, I care about draft picks. However, I think people over value them significantly. Look at the current roster. The core of your team is in their prime now. I'd rather not waste that in hopes that 4-6 years from now we have a guy whose contributing at the NHL level. Lets look at some 1st & 2nd rounders for the B's. I'll leave out the last 3 draft classes since its still a early for them to be knocking on the door, and we'll start when Sweeney took over in 2015.

Fabian Lysell - 1st rounder in 2021.....might crack the NHL roster in 2024
Mason Lohrei - 2nd rounder in 2020....got his first NHL experience in 2023
John Beecher - 1st rounder in 2019....got his first NHL experience in 2023
Axel Andersson - 2nd rounder in 2018.....has never played in the NHL
Urho Vaakanainen - 1st rounder in 2017.....Last year was his first year not bouncing between the AHL & NHL
Jack Studnicka - 2nd rounder in 2017....barley has 100 nhl games under his belt and is on his 4th team in 3 years
Charlie McAvoy - Stud
Trent Frederic - 1st rounder in 2016....6 years after being drafted he became a solid 3rd line winger
Jakub Zboril - 1st rounder in 2015....76 career NHL games and currently a UFA
Jake DeBrusk - 1st rounder in 2015....solid 40-45pt winger
Zach Senyshyn - 1st rounder in 2015.....I think he's in the DEL now
Brandon Carlo - 2nd rounder in 2015.....Stud shutdown Top 4 guy
Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson -2nd rounder in 2015.....retired 2-3 years ago after a short stint in the SHL
Jeremy Lauzon - 2nd rounder in 2015.....solid 3rd pairing physical d-man

I see 14 players here. 6 of them (JFK, Senyshyn, Zboril, Studnicka, Vaakanainen & Andersson) have turned into nothing players. That means 42% of 1st and 2nd rounders over a 6yr period have not panned out. Of the guys remaining:

Lysell, Beecher & Lohrei - show promise, but we're still not sure what we got.
McAvoy & Carlo - impact players
DeBrusk, Frederic & Lauzon - quality complementary players.

So how it all breaks down the way I see it.

42% - you end up with nothing
22% - quality complementary players
22% - show promise but still are unknown
14% - impact players

A guy like Laine can be an impact player. Based on what I've laid out above, the odds of us getting an impact player with a 1st or 2nd rounder is low.
Because our current gm is an incompetent drafter doesn't change the facts and value of said pics. We don't need to revisit 2015 but if he had only done what he should have and drafted BPA we'd look like a wildly different team today and likely have another cup in that time.

Also I did not generalize your comment. You said he was about a p/pg player which he is not. That's what I stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad