Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Why would you swap Marchand and Zacha, I am not trying to be an a-hole but I do not believe Marchand is a 1st liner anymore, and his career should be on watch.

He isn’t and they will obviously have to experiment, but I do think he adds more than Zacha does offensively to try to take pressure off of Poitras to be the only driver on that line. Regardless, they are obviously a scoring 1W short.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don't trust putting 2 inexperienced rookies together so I'd split Lysell and Poitras even though the latter looked really good thus far.

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Lysell
Frederic-Poitras-Geekie
Jones-Kastelic-Beecher

Lindholm-McAvoy
Zadorov-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke

63-51-33
11-39-Lysell
19-Kastelic-Brazz

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Sweeney has publicly said his priority is to resign Swayman multiple times. He got rid of his former 1A goalie, has over 9 million in cap space

There are a ton of other really really good RFA's out there who haven't signed yet

I have almost zero worry on resigning Swayman

I get a little nervous when Sweeney goes to the podium on draft night and when FA kicks off but he gets his guys signed...it's a borderline fireable offense if he somehow screws this up

Reactions: DKH and JoeIsAStud

pucksindeep92

Jun 19, 2023
Forgive me if someone posted this, but I’d really like to see this bottom 9 get some looks if no lysell/merk…

Marchand- Poitras- Coyle
Freddy - Beecher - Geekie
Jones- Kastelic- Brazzers

Get to see what Beecher can do on a heavyyy, fast line that might create some chaos. Coyle helps protect any rookie woes with Poitras.

Reactions: Alan Ryan and PB37

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Forgive me if someone posted this, but I’d really like to see this bottom 9 get some looks if no lysell/merk…

Marchand- Poitras- Coyle

Get to see what Beecher can do on a heavyyy, fast line that might create some chaos. Coyle helps protect any rookie woes with Poitras.
Wouldn't hate it but of all the 4th liners we have pencilled around I think Brazeau makes the best case to play on the 3rd line IMO. He has the best finishing ability out of the bunch.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

Marchand- Poitras- Coyle

We've tried Coyle on the wing before and it was not a good fit.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Thank you for your response.

As Nixon would say, "Let me say this about that."

In my post, I noted that lack of primary scoring, secondary scoring to one side, is a legitimate concern that must be addressed internally, via trade, or through free agency.

When placing pressure on Claude Julien to free up his system and to allow for more scoring years ago, Cam Neely said what you're saying: You can't win if you don't score.

Similarly, in the aftermath of their playoff loss to Florida, Sunny Jim observed that "You can't win every game 2-1."

True enough.

It's at least possible and even probable that the Bruins will find the goals that walked out the door July 1. Again, internally, through trade or free agency.

The situation is not ideal. It never is.

So, after nine years plus of dithering, Sweeney finally decided to build a team from the goal out, emphasizing size, reintroducing physicality -- yet maintaining a high level of skill. For three years and especially in this draft, the Bruins are drafting for size not just on defense, but elsewhere (Letourneau and others).

They are also bringing in players that will stand up for their teammates, toss their body and fists, agitate and annoy, and, quite simply, menace and intimidate.

Now, I love this style of hockey for several reasons.

One of the most important is that it throws opponents off balance; they're reluctant to go into the corners; perhaps they hurry their passes for fear of an oncoming hit; do they really want to tangle with Nikita Zadorov, Max Jones, Kastelic and Tufte? And eventually Jackson Edwards, Groenewald, Johansson, and other big men willing to step up and step in?

When you have them looking over their shoulder the entire game, that's a valuable psychological advantage.

Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay and Brad Marchand would all say the same thing: When you play with a mean streak -- which is to say, play dirty -- opponents are wary and will give you two elements that make for successful hockey.

Time and space.

When you initiate rather than respond, you also hold a psychological advantage. It should be obvious to anyone who has watched the Bruins under Sweeney for nearly ten years that Boston almost never responded forcefully when physically challenged, never mind taking the first whack.

It's safe to say that going forward, clearing the crease should not be a chronic problem for the Bruins. It's also reasonable to suggest that they are moving markedly in the direction of a team built for the playoffs, rather than regular season success.

The decision has been made to construct the club from goal to D to center, and to do so with emphatic size and genuine team toughness.

Scoring may prove a significant problem this season, but I believe there are options, as mentioned above.

On the whole I am exceedingly pleased at the recent turn of events and find myself in the unique position of defending Don Sweeney's newly found priorities.

I have to go now. Radar confirms hell has frozen over.

The Jackson Edwards stuff is priceless,

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I just realized, if Gryz and Debrusk are gone, who are going to be the new designated HF Bruins board whipping boys?

Obviously Korpisalo, but other than that? I like Peeke but figure people have it out for him on his contract and what he cost. It's also feasible that Elias Lindholm doesn't produce to what people expect and we get a lot of "not a real #1C" narrative, though I hope we're patient.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I just realized, if Gryz and Debrusk are gone, who are going to be the new designated HF Bruins board whipping boys?

Obviously Korpisalo, but other than that? I like Peeke but figure people have it out for him on his contract and what he cost. It's also feasible that Elias Lindholm doesn't produce to what people expect and we get a lot of "not a real #1C" narrative, though I hope we're patient.
It’s funny because by the end of Peeke’s deal we will be looking at it going “oh this guy basically makes minimum”

Ppl need to prepare to shift their salary expectations with the cap boom coming

Reactions: McGarnagle

Zillah

Bleed Black and Gold
Apr 4, 2011
West Kelowna B.C.

It’ll always be Krug . No matter what the time of day , month or year . I still get cold shivers when see the number 47 . 😉

GahdenRinkRat

Bruins' Den Mother
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2008
By the Dirty Watah

There’s always Tuukka :sarcasm::deadhorse

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
We've tried Coyle on the wing before and it was not a good fit.

I think this might be a board generated idea that came to life, basically repetition becoming reputation. Before this last season, Coyle's best year of his career came while playing primarily as a winger. I honestly don't remember him being bad on the wing as a Bruin in his limited time there and would love to see some numbers to back this up ( for or against ) if anyone has them.

Reactions: pucksindeep92

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022

Peeke is too big to be the whipping boy. I think it’ll be Mcavoy because the narrative had already begun last season that he is overpaid.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017

My guess

Frederic, Carlo, Geekie

Reactions: HustleB

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thank you for your response.

As Nixon would say, "Let me say this about that."

In my post, I noted that lack of primary scoring, secondary scoring to one side, is a legitimate concern that must be addressed internally, via trade, or through free agency.

When placing pressure on Claude Julien to free up his system and to allow for more scoring years ago, Cam Neely said what you're saying: You can't win if you don't score.

Similarly, in the aftermath of their playoff loss to Florida, Sunny Jim observed that "You can't win every game 2-1."

True enough.

It's at least possible and even probable that the Bruins will find the goals that walked out the door July 1. Again, internally, through trade or free agency.

The situation is not ideal. It never is.

So, after nine years plus of dithering, Sweeney finally decided to build a team from the goal out, emphasizing size, reintroducing physicality -- yet maintaining a high level of skill. For three years and especially in this draft, the Bruins are drafting for size not just on defense, but elsewhere (Letourneau and others).

They are also bringing in players that will stand up for their teammates, toss their body and fists, agitate and annoy, and, quite simply, menace and intimidate.

Now, I love this style of hockey for several reasons.

One of the most important is that it throws opponents off balance; they're reluctant to go into the corners; perhaps they hurry their passes for fear of an oncoming hit; do they really want to tangle with Nikita Zadorov, Max Jones, Kastelic and Tufte? And eventually Jackson Edwards, Groenewald, Johansson, and other big men willing to step up and step in?

When you have them looking over their shoulder the entire game, that's a valuable psychological advantage.

Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay and Brad Marchand would all say the same thing: When you play with a mean streak -- which is to say, play dirty -- opponents are wary and will give you two elements that make for successful hockey.

Time and space.

When you initiate rather than respond, you also hold a psychological advantage. It should be obvious to anyone who has watched the Bruins under Sweeney for nearly ten years that Boston almost never responded forcefully when physically challenged, never mind taking the first whack.

It's safe to say that going forward, clearing the crease should not be a chronic problem for the Bruins. It's also reasonable to suggest that they are moving markedly in the direction of a team built for the playoffs, rather than regular season success.

The decision has been made to construct the club from goal to D to center, and to do so with emphatic size and genuine team toughness.

Scoring may prove a significant problem this season, but I believe there are options, as mentioned above.

On the whole I am exceedingly pleased at the recent turn of events and find myself in the unique position of defending Don Sweeney's newly found priorities.

I have to go now. Radar confirms hell has frozen over.

The Jackson Edwards stuff is priceless,

The energy here makes me want to get off the couch and attack my kitchen sink

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad