Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What pundits didn’t think the Bruins were going after Lindholm and Zadorav and they had money to spend would have been surprised if they hadn’t gotten them really.
Lindholm was the worst kept secret for a month before signing. I think Zadarov was more of a surprise, but in the end seemed pretty clear for about a week before July 1

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
You guys realize that Monty is reading all these line proposals and is like " oh wow, gotta try that " before he scrolls down and reads another post. He tinkers with his line combos so much, this actually might be true.
The staff has so many potential line combinations to work with this season. It’s impressive!!

Last edited:

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
I don't trust putting 2 inexperienced rookies together so I'd split Lysell and Poitras even though the latter looked really good thus far.

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Lysell
Frederic-Poitras-Geekie
Jones-Kastelic-Beecher

Lindholm-McAvoy
Zadorov-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke
Until camp starts and everything is thrown into a blender (i.e., who knows who's going to impress), that's my lineup.

Reactions: FONZIE and HustleB

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
I don't know how anyone with working eyes who watched Brazeau last year could leave him out of projected lineups
I know what you mean, but consider some more nuanced arguments.

4th line argument - I feel like he isn't fast enough on the forecheck to be on the fourth line. Although, with that reach of his, he creates turnovers that you wouldn't expect (this is what I love most about him actually). So perhaps let's put him on the third line.

3rd line argument - Let's just assume that Poitras and Frederick start off as C/LW on the third line. I think he might fit well there, but then you do worry a bit about the defensive side of things there wtih Poitras and Brazeau. Besides, I personally think that Frederick/Poitras/Geekie has the potential to be a hell of a line. I could also easitly see if Poitras isn't quite ready that this line might be some combination of Frederick/Geekie/Braz. Anyways, Poitras makes it, then do you put him on the line with Coyle and Marchand?

2nd line argument - This seems like a reach to me but I could absolutely see this working. On the other hand, would you rather have a burner like Lysell with them? Like I said in my original post, it depends on how training camp goes, but I prefer the idea of Lysell with them, a shooter and speedster to support Marchand and Coyle.

To me that leaves Braz as the 13th option to fill in when appropriate while Geekie covers for a center spot or on that fourth line to give one of those guys a spell. Look, I see where you are coming from and I do like him and also think he will get lots of time considering injuries/rest etc. But I think from a roster construction perspective, you can't just plop him anywhere.

Or maybe, and more likely, all of these thought experiments don't mean a thing and braz will shine where ever you put him. And honestly I'm ok with that too!

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I know what you mean, but consider some more nuanced arguments.

4th line argument - I feel like he isn't fast enough on the forecheck to be on the fourth line. Although, with that reach of his, he creates turnovers that you wouldn't expect (this is what I love most about him actually). So perhaps let's put him on the third line.

3rd line argument - Let's just assume that Poitras and Frederick start off as C/LW on the third line. I think he might fit well there, but then you do worry a bit about the defensive side of things there wtih Poitras and Brazeau. Besides, I personally think that Frederick/Poitras/Geekie has the potential to be a hell of a line. I could also easitly see if Poitras isn't quite ready that this line might be some combination of Frederick/Geekie/Braz. Anyways, Poitras makes it, then do you put him on the line with Coyle and Marchand?

2nd line argument - This seems like a reach to me but I could absolutely see this working. On the other hand, would you rather have a burner like Lysell with them? Like I said in my original post, it depends on how training camp goes, but I prefer the idea of Lysell with them, a shooter and speedster to support Marchand and Coyle.

To me that leaves Braz as the 13th option to fill in when appropriate while Geekie covers for a center spot or on that fourth line to give one of those guys a spell. Look, I see where you are coming from and I do like him and also think he will get lots of time considering injuries/rest etc. But I think from a roster construction perspective, you can't just plop him anywhere.

Or maybe, and more likely, all of these thought experiments don't mean a thing and braz will shine where ever you put him. And honestly I'm ok with that too!

I think one of the best things about this team right now is the fact that there will be competition for jobs…which of course also means there is depth, or at least potential depth.

I especially like the fact that a lot of the open spots are at the bottom of the lineup, and several guys in the mix are tough guys because, hopefully, in order to get noticed, they’re going to do “tough guy” things.

I’d love to see them dress the toughest lineup they can muster for one of the Washington games.

I know they won’t but I’d love to see it.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
I don't trust putting 2 inexperienced rookies together so I'd split Lysell and Poitras even though the latter looked really good thus far.

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Lysell
Frederic-Poitras-Geekie
Jones-Kastelic-Beecher

Lindholm-McAvoy
Zadorov-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke
Swap Lindholm and Zadorov and this is the exact roster I am hoping for. Maybe Brazeau in for Kastelic with Beecher at C.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Lysell
Frederic-Poitras-Geekie
Jones-Kastelic-Beecher

Lindholm-McAvoy
Zadorov-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke
I like this. First line is a given and probably the thing I'm looking forward the most to next season. That line is going to be so, so good.

Totally agree with not having Poitras and Lysell on the same line. All the kudos in the world for Poitras constantly going to the dirty areas, but he got abused and lost half the season for it. Put a rookie who's had a lot of injuries on his wing and it's not good.

Lysell, if he makes it, likely will be sheltered quite a bit. Give him two great linemates and let him gain some confidence, but until/if he's proven, he's sitting in big moments. Freddy and Geekie both play that 3rd line grinder style you need, while being near-20 goal scorers. Add some speed and creativity with Poitras and I love the look of that line, too. 4th line looks great - Kastilec and Jones are great adds and Beecher is a good candidate to take a big step next year.

Defense will mix and match but I probably move Hampus down one pairing to spread the wealth. Going to be a fun season.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
If Poitras and Lysell make the team, they should play on different lines so they're surrounded by guys who have been around for awhile. If they do make the team, that means they'll rotate the 4th line around a lot: Jones, Beecher, Kastelic, and Brazeau will all state their case as to why they should stay in the lineup, but there's only enough spots. I'm guessing if the Bruins want their 4th line to be missiles on the forecheck, they'll need to sub in/out for each other over the course of the year to slow down the wear and tare.

Marchand -- Lindholm -- Pasta

Zacha -- Poitras -- Geekie

Frederic -- Coyle -- Lysell

Jones -- Beecher -- Kastelic

Brazeau

Switch Brazeau with Kastelic and this would be the line I would go with

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I mean the TEAM is talking about how excited they are about Lysell’s ability to make an impact this year.

But let’s play lines with Poitras and Lysell in the AHL despite being ahead of where Bjork and DeBrusk were when they were given top 6 spots in a similar offseason…

Zacha Lindholm Pastrnak
Marchand Coyle Frederic
Lettieri Geekie Brazeau
Beecher Kastelic Jones
Brown

Just not sure how you can maintain the opinion that Poitras and Lysell are not favorites for spots in the lineup, especially after the pump job Lysell got from McQuaid and especially Mougenel.
I just want it to be said they can play with the big club or they need more time in Providence, but until they are seen on the ice this will be a controversy all year.

Reactions: wintersej

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
They need goals but you are putting an 18 goal scorer ( who will probably be on the second line) at 4LW? And putting a guy who had 15 goals in the AHL ar 2RW? Breaking up Zacha and Pasta for Merkulov? Playing Poitras out of posistion when you need centers?

Again Sweeney did not deal for Kastellic to have him sit for Merkulov.

It is thinking outside the box, I will give you that.
A rookie on each line, not sure that is something I would be looking forward to unless we were in a rebuild after missing the playoffs for three years in a row, and you are right about Kastellic, cannot see him out of the lineup.

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I like this. First line is a given and probably the thing I'm looking forward the most to next season. That line is going to be so, so good.

Totally agree with not having Poitras and Lysell on the same line. All the kudos in the world for Poitras constantly going to the dirty areas, but he got abused and lost half the season for it. Put a rookie who's had a lot of injuries on his wing and it's not good.

Lysell, if he makes it, likely will be sheltered quite a bit. Give him two great linemates and let him gain some confidence, but until/if he's proven, he's sitting in big moments. Freddy and Geekie both play that 3rd line grinder style you need, while being near-20 goal scorers. Add some speed and creativity with Poitras and I love the look of that line, too. 4th line looks great - Kastilec and Jones are great adds and Beecher is a good candidate to take a big step next year.

Defense will mix and match but I probably move Hampus down one pairing to spread the wealth. Going to be a fun season.

I’m hoping they can find a way to use Zacha at 2C and Coyle at 3C.

It will mean someone has to earn the 2LW spot, moving Marchand up to 1LW, which will definitely not be easy.

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Does this mean if they plan to go to arbitration again we will know by 5? If nothing is filed does that mean they just continue working on a deal sans arbitration or does a deal need to be done by 5 to avoid arbitration?

I think we will know which side is protecting their right to do so.
Negotiations for a new contract can still be done right up to the hearing if it gets that far.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Primary scoring, never mind "secondary scoring" remains a need and perhaps a worry among Bruins fans.

The need and worry is legitimate and can conceivably be addressed in-house, through trade, or via free agency, if it comes to that.

It may.

But, please, time will tell, and in relatively short order.

Much of this is typical media foolishness. Criticism for its own sake.

They have to bitch about something -- we all do -- and despite a very strong draft and free agency performance, that's the new "hot take."

The fundamentals of constructing a hockey team are simple: Build from the goal out. Strong defense. The center position, almost or as critical these days, is "the spine" of a well-built club. Augment on the wings as necessary.

As critical of Sweeney as I have been, I am delighted with his belated embrace of size and physicality, which supports and amplifies "speed and skill."

This formula, as noted repeatedly and vociferously, is not rocket science. Nearly every Stanley Cup champion of recent memory has employed it. Certainly those of every prior era.

I realize you can't win if you can't score.

Yet it's just as true that if you can't keep the puck out of your own net, you can't win either. Getting pushed around on a nightly basis, an inability to clear your own crease, protect your goaltender, break out of the zone cleanly and make opponents pay a physical price is not a diagram for success, either.

I'll take a strong blueline, and strong team defense, over ancillary scoring depth at this point. The scoring depth can be added.

The happy fact is that the Bruins defensive corps has been significantly fortified with size, talent, and at long last, a jolt of genuine menace.

Add elite goaltending from Jeremy Swayman; E. Lindholm as, at least, a significant upgrade to C, if not unquestioned IC; size and physical play from free agent pick-ups and, as dramatically, the 2024 draft.

There have also been notable "additions by subtraction" per Gryz, Heinen, DeBrusk, Forbort, Lauko, etc. I'm not knocking those guys, but they don't fit what I hope the Bruins will become in future.

A team that's not only "hard to play against," but also a team that has opponents running scared.
This lineup, no matter the way deployed will IMO make more than a few
opposing players just a bit nervous.
I suspect that there are more players than ever in the NHL who really don't look
forward to the heavy game.
This team is going to cause more than a few anxiety episodes, and it's going to be fun (for us) to watch.
In the last decade or so, it's been the Bruins who've been shying away from the rough stuff, the physicality. The would have one, sometimes a couple of guys step up, but overall they were rarely the aggresors.
for the 2024-25 season the Bear is loaded for Bear...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad