Y'all we might actually win at the dot this year

Does Kastelic kill penalties?

With that FO win % I really hope so.

Reactions: Gordoff

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Wasn’t even slightly impressed with Merkulov’s stint he had this past season,and now he’s playing on the first line ,and Poitras on the third line ?

In fairness, without looking it up, I seem to remember being frustrated that he wasn’t given much ice time with offensive players.

But I could be misremembering.

Six seconds per game last season.

So yes?

😂😂😂

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I can't see Merk making the team and playing on the first line....he needs to earn his ice time.
Geekie is playing out of position, he is a RH shot, much easier taking the puck off your forehand vs backhand when playing wing.
Frederic deserves ( has earned) more minutes vs a 4th liner
Brazeau proved he can play and score at the NHL level, we need him to get at least 15 goals next year, he should be on the 4th line.
Agree I wouldn’t put Merlulov on the first line. But he’s earned his ice time and a shot at middle six. Guy was a top scorer in the AHL and never got a call up.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
In fairness, without looking it up, I seem to remember being frustrated that he wasn’t given much ice time with offensive players.

But I could be misremembering.

So yes?

😂😂😂
Sweeney mentioned in the presser that he was pushing Kastelic to study the PK and prepare to earn a spot there. It seems next season will be new territory here. The FO% should go a long way. Hopefully he’s a smart player that figures it out.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Wasn’t even slightly impressed with Merkulov’s stint he had this past season,and now he’s playing on the first line ,and Poitras on the third line ?
I am with you, I was not impressed with Mekolov either, and I know they will be out screaming that he did not get a fair shot, Right now I say give Poitras, Merkolov, and Lysell a good look right out of the gate and put this infatuation to play these kids and in some cases on the top line, a rest if only one of them steps up and takes advantage of the opportunity all the better for the team, but if not AHL for more seasoning. Everyone is putting line combos out there and I find one that would like to see Beecher in the middle with Freddy and Geekie on his wings. Depending on the kids we mentioned on where they settle in another look might be Coyle, Marchand, and Jones......

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Don’t you usually have to earn playing with the top guys.

If you’re only up for what’s expected to be a short time (subbing for an injury) and you’re stuck with plugs, it’s kind of hard to show what you can do.

Not saying he should have been given line 1 duty but a few shifts with guys who can score a little would probably give him a better shot to show what he can do.

Either way if he and Lysell aren’t doing everything possible to make this team from July 1 through camp, then it’s on them if they don’t stick.

Last edited:

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
If you’re only up for what’s expected to be a short time (subbing for an injury) and you’re stuck with plugs, it’s kind of hard to show what you can do.

Not saying he should have been given line 1 duty but a few shifts with guys who can score a little would probably give him a better shot to show what he can do.

Either way if he and Lysell aren’t doing evening possible to make this team from July 1 through camp, then it’s on them if they don’t stick.
The other side of that is when you're playing in the bottom 6, you're also playing against the other teams bottom 6 and likely 3rd pair. Yeah, you might have a better chance to show up on the stat sheet playing on the top line, but you're gonna have a harder time showcasing yourself against the other teams top shutdown line or d-pair.

Reactions: lopey

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The other side of that is when you're playing in the bottom 6, you're also playing against the other teams bottom 6 and likely 3rd pair. Yeah, you might have a better chance to show up on the stat sheet playing on the top line, but you're gonna have a harder time showcasing yourself against the other teams top shutdown line or d-pair.

Makes sense.

TBH I don’t think you can get a true sense of a player’s ability to play at the NHL level without giving him at least 15 games.

If not consecutively, at least within a relatively short period of time.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
He did get a call up. But they put him on the fourth line and absolutely buried him.
I know I am old and my memory fails me, but my recollection is that he was brought up to replace Poitras between Frederic and JVR on line 3 and when he didn't show anything was moved to the 4th line with Lauko and Steen in game 4 before being sent back down. But I could be wrong. I'm sure you have the actual ice time.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I know I am old and my memory fails me, but my recollection is that he was brought up to replace Poitras between Frederic and JVR on line 3 and when he didn't show anything was moved to the 4th line with Lauko and Steen in game 4 before being sent back down. But I could be wrong. I'm sure you have the actual ice time.
He didn’t play 10 minutes with any particular line, and Natural Stat Trick’s line tool appears to be offline.

Here were his 4 games though.

07B5081F-3109-4A85-8266-924A247319C2.jpeg

Reactions: Gordoff

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
He didn’t play 10 minutes with any particular line, and Natural Stat Trick’s line tool appears to be offline.

Here were his 4 games though.

View attachment 892351
According to Natural Stat Trick for me, he had 19+ minutes with Frederic.

According to Dobber here were his most frequent linemates.

Dobber.PNG

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Thinking outside the box here...

*Merkolov / Lindholm / Pasta
Marchand / Coyle / *Lysell
Geekie / Zacha / Poitras
Frederic / Beecher / Jones

Kastelic/Brazeau * = pre-season stand-outs
They need goals but you are putting an 18 goal scorer ( who will probably be on the second line) at 4LW? And putting a guy who had 15 goals in the AHL ar 2RW? Breaking up Zacha and Pasta for Merkulov? Playing Poitras out of posistion when you need centers?

Again Sweeney did not deal for Kastellic to have him sit for Merkulov.

It is thinking outside the box, I will give you that.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I am with you, I was not impressed with Mekolov either, and I know they will be out screaming that he did not get a fair shot, Right now I say give Poitras, Merkolov, and Lysell a good look right out of the gate and put this infatuation to play these kids and in some cases on the top line, a rest if only one of them steps up and takes advantage of the opportunity all the better for the team, but if not AHL for more seasoning. Everyone is putting line combos out there and I find one that would like to see Beecher in the middle with Freddy and Geekie on his wings. Depending on the kids we mentioned on where they settle in another look might be Coyle, Marchand, and Jones......

I mean the TEAM is talking about how excited they are about Lysell’s ability to make an impact this year.

But let’s play lines with Poitras and Lysell in the AHL despite being ahead of where Bjork and DeBrusk were when they were given top 6 spots in a similar offseason…

Zacha Lindholm Pastrnak
Marchand Coyle Frederic
Lettieri Geekie Brazeau
Beecher Kastelic Jones
Brown

Just not sure how you can maintain the opinion that Poitras and Lysell are not favorites for spots in the lineup, especially after the pump job Lysell got from McQuaid and especially Mougenel.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If Poitras and Lysell make the team, they should play on different lines so they're surrounded by guys who have been around for awhile. If they do make the team, that means they'll rotate the 4th line around a lot: Jones, Beecher, Kastelic, and Brazeau will all state their case as to why they should stay in the lineup, but there's only enough spots. I'm guessing if the Bruins want their 4th line to be missiles on the forecheck, they'll need to sub in/out for each other over the course of the year to slow down the wear and tare.

Marchand -- Lindholm -- Pasta

Zacha -- Poitras -- Geekie

Frederic -- Coyle -- Lysell

Jones -- Beecher -- Kastelic

Brazeau

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If Poitras and Lysell make the team, they should play on different lines so they're surrounded by guys who have been around for awhile. If they do make the team, that means they'll rotate the 4th line around a lot: Jones, Beecher, Kastelic, and Brazeau will all state their case as to why they should stay in the lineup, but there's only enough spots. I'm guessing if the Bruins want their 4th line to be missiles on the forecheck, they'll need to sub in/out for each other over the course of the year to slow down the wear and tare.

Marchand -- Lindholm -- Pasta

Zacha -- Poitras -- Geekie

Frederic -- Coyle -- Lysell

Jones -- Beecher -- Kastelic

Brazeau

I’d probably swap Marchand and Zacha but this is where my head is at, too.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Five Most Improved NHL Teams So Far in the 2024 Off-Season​

5. Boston Bruins​

Biggest moves: Elias Lindholm, Nikita Zadorov, Max Jones, Joonas Korpisalo

Departures: Linus Ullmark, Jake DeBrusk, Matt Grzelcyk, Pat Maroon, Kevin Shattenkirk

Prior to the kick-off to free agency, few pundits were expecting the Bruins to outbid other teams for top targets. But with the signings of center Elias Lindholm and defenseman Nikita Zadorov, Boston is now considerably better than what was already a pretty solid squad.

Yes, losing veteran goalie Linus Ullmark hurt the organization, but in more limited action, second-string goalie Joonas Korpisalo might prove to be solid enough to take all the pressure off star and starter Jeremy Swayman.

Bidding farewell to winger Jake DeBrusk also represents a step back of sorts, but the arrivals of Lindholm and Zadorov prove the B's are not yet willing to go into the sunset quietly and quickly. They’re now more dangerous than they were last week.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

The Five Most Improved NHL Teams So Far in the 2024 Off-Season​

5. Boston Bruins​

Biggest moves: Elias Lindholm, Nikita Zadorov, Max Jones, Joonas Korpisalo

Departures: Linus Ullmark, Jake DeBrusk, Matt Grzelcyk, Pat Maroon, Kevin Shattenkirk

Prior to the kick-off to free agency, few pundits were expecting the Bruins to outbid other teams for top targets. But with the signings of center Elias Lindholm and defenseman Nikita Zadorov, Boston is now considerably better than what was already a pretty solid squad.

Yes, losing veteran goalie Linus Ullmark hurt the organization, but in more limited action, second-string goalie Joonas Korpisalo might prove to be solid enough to take all the pressure off star and starter Jeremy Swayman.

Bidding farewell to winger Jake DeBrusk also represents a step back of sorts, but the arrivals of Lindholm and Zadorov prove the B's are not yet willing to go into the sunset quietly and quickly. They’re now more dangerous than they were last week.
What pundits didn’t think the Bruins were going after Lindholm and Zadorav and they had money to spend would have been surprised if they hadn’t gotten them really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad