Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Trying too hard here. Freddy isn’t a fourth liner and Poitras isn’t going to play wing.

I see a lot of proposals pushing the veteran center Geekie to the wing to make room for Poitras to play in the middle. Which to me is counter-productive, let the veteran man the more defensive position and let Poitras adjust to the NHL with less defensive responsibility.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I wonder what happens with Freddy and Geekie. We may have just added their cheaper replacements but if it’s me I look to extend both immediately for reasonable deals especially if there’s no NTC nonsense.

And what’s gonna happen with H Lindholm. I think Lohrei is the real deal and Zadorov as well. Is he happy to cash checks and play 17 mpg and digs in with the NMC? Basically Kaberle if we resigned him just left shot? If he wants a bigger role after the year you really only have to dump Peeke and Korpisalo and that’s 10 mil towards an offer for Draisaitl.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Thinking outside the box here...

*Merkolov / Lindholm / Pasta
Marchand / Coyle / *Lysell
Geekie / Zacha / Poitras
Frederic / Beecher / Jones

Kastelic/Brazeau * = pre-season stand-outs
Wasn’t even slightly impressed with Merkulov’s stint he had this past season,and now he’s playing on the first line ,and Poitras on the third line ?

Reactions: lopey

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I see a lot of proposals pushing the veteran center Geekie to the wing to make room for Poitras to play in the middle. Which to me is counter-productive, let the veteran man the more defensive position and let Poitras adjust to the NHL with less defensive responsibility.
Well, they played Poitras in the middle last year with Geekie on the wing. Not sure why that would change now, especially with how poor Geekie was in the middle in the playoffs.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Well, they played Poitras in the middle last year with Geekie on the wing. Not sure why that would change now, especially with how poor Geekie was in the middle in the playoffs.

I didn't see much of Poitras's time in Boston last year, didn't realize that they had Geekie shift over.

Didn't Geekie play C in the back-half of the playoffs with Zacha and Pasta on his wings?

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Crazy that Lysell will be 22 this coming season, and Poitras 20-21. Definitely Yutes.

Without Poitras and Lysell when I averaged the age of the 20 roster players I was sure of, I got 27 years old. Last year that was the 6th youngest team in the NHL. If Poitras and Lysell make the team we're in the 4th-5th youngest team in the league territory (26.7 years old?).

Think about how old we just were RECENTLY. Sweenius did this with no real rebuild. Stunning.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Pretty much everybody here builds lines better than I can. But I will throw this out. Don’t label Jones as strictly a 4th liner. That’s not a given at all. He can play. I don’t know how they do it but I expect to see him on the third line or higher at points.
You might on to something, I wonder how he would look with Marchand and Coyle, at this stage of the offseason it is a good time to throw ideas around, read what others are saying and maybe you might look at it differently. The young players that everyone is screaming for and I have my reservations for different reasons, I think should get a good look , Poitras, Merkolov and Lysell, it will be up to them to embrace the opportunity, if they do put them back in Providence and hope their value is not damaged, but also keep in mind they might not be 1st and 2nd liners like so many think they are.,

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Trying too hard here. Freddy isn’t a fourth liner and Poitras isn’t going to play wing.
Zacha is not a 3rd liner, Mekolov is not a 1st liner, and is Lysell a 2nd liner, if they are one of two things happen you have some really good young talent that will be a cup contender, or this team will really suck.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You guys realize that Monty is reading all these line proposals and is like " oh wow, gotta try that " before he scrolls down and reads another post. He tinkers with his line combos so much, this actually might be true.
It would certainly be a good idea to tinker with the lines to see if anything clicks. Lots of possibilities with so many guys comfortable at center or wing.

Reactions: Blowfish

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You guys realize that Monty is reading all these line proposals and is like " oh wow, gotta try that " before he scrolls down and reads another post. He tinkers with his line combos so much, this actually might be true.

For my good buddy Jimmy Montgomery if he's reading this.

Zacha - Lindholm - Pasta

Marchand - Coyle - Poitras

Frederic - Geekie - Brazeau

Jones - Beecher - Kastelic

Zadorov - McAvoy

Lindholm - Carlo

Lohrei - Peeke

Swayman

Korpisalo

You're welcome Jimmy! You can thank me during your Jack Adams acceptance speech.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not underrating Lysell at all, and really don't pay attention to comments about him. Just trying to be realistic on expectations for a kid going into his first year in the NHL.

In Pastrnak's first NHL season he went 10/17/27 in 46 games.......playing with Krejci. Hopefully, you can get similar numbers out of Lysell. But I wouldn't expect to, and you better have a Plan B.

Rookie DeBrusk is a better comp

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
FYI if you are penciling Poitras and Lysell in the top nine and assuming Sway comes in around 8 million, they could carry 2 extra forwards for a 23 man roster. They have the flexibility now and it kind of makes sense to rest them and go for a heavier lineup against some tougher opponents.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
FYI if you are penciling Poitras and Lysell in the top nine and assuming Sway comes in around 8 million, they could carry 2 extra forwards for a 23 man roster. They have the flexibility now and it kind of makes sense to rest them and go for a heavier lineup against some tougher opponents.

I think they will try to carry 23, although some guys may ride the paper shuttle to Providence on off days all year to save some cap space. Hopefully the guys at the bottom of the 23 are waiver eligible.

Personally I hope that Merkulov shows up in September and puts to rest the idea that he is better at C than wing, because I think he has the skills to succeed in the NHL at wing, and had the body to succeed there as well. Otherwise just send him out of town, because he's never gonna be a C in this org

Reactions: CellyHard

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I’m going to take a wait and see on next years team. A whole lot different than two seasons ago when nothing seemed to go wrong in the regular season. We have a lot of guys in the lineup now that seem great on paper, but haven’t really done much winning elsewhere. A great team these days is a fine line these days with all the parity in the league.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Crazy that Lysell will be 22 this coming season, and Poitras 20-21. Definitely Yutes.

Without Poitras and Lysell when I averaged the age of the 20 roster players I was sure of, I got 27 years old. Last year that was the 6th youngest team in the NHL. If Poitras and Lysell make the team we're in the 4th-5th youngest team in the league territory (26.7 years old?).

Think about how old we just were RECENTLY. Sweenius did this with no real rebuild. Stunning.
Lohrei too and hes 23. Donny best in the business.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Thinking outside the box here...

*Merkolov / Lindholm / Pasta
Marchand / Coyle / *Lysell
Geekie / Zacha / Poitras
Frederic / Beecher / Jones

Kastelic/Brazeau * = pre-season stand-outs
I can't see Merk making the team and playing on the first line....he needs to earn his ice time.
Geekie is playing out of position, he is a RH shot, much easier taking the puck off your forehand vs backhand when playing wing.
Frederic deserves ( has earned) more minutes vs a 4th liner
Brazeau proved he can play and score at the NHL level, we need him to get at least 15 goals next year, he should be on the 4th line.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad