Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I saw the picture and I hoped you knew something.

Sweeney is likely done (after Swayman of course). But I keep watching for a Sprong contract.
He only made $2m last year, wasn't QO'd and still hasn't signed. It is possible he signs with someone for around $1m rather than wait to be a PTO.

At $1m the B's can afford him. That's basically what a rookie cost and free to send to the minors without a cap penalty. He would be good competition/insurance for that 2RW spot.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Smaller rinks were nice when you had smaller players,but with a bunch of giants

leave some cap space hopefully for trade deadline
Need the bigger ice for the two refs and two linesmen who get in the way of play far too much in a now much faster League.

Not their fault, but no room. Of course it’s nice to have a guy at Center ice to make a call for something that may or may not have happened below the goal line. So there’s that.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
They have a top 3 D with a mix of grit, skill and mean. Why mess with it? It is the teams strength don't weaken it.

Lysell's goal totals his first two years worry me but come September there could be someone unsigned that could help or Brazeau steps up

I'm hoping he doesn't cost them 9+
Agreed. This group is so big and mean leave it alone for a while and concentrate on the wings. If Poitras' bulked up and is ready that takes the focus off the Center position for a while with this group guys who look to be capable on the draws.
They may get another veteran for RW but if I'm them, unless an unreal opportunity comes along I wait and see what we've got and how all of these new guys are going to gel.
IMO we'll see a lot of growing pains at the beginning of the year since these new pieces are so different in makeup than the recent style that they've fallen into.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Not underrating Lysell at all, and really don't pay attention to comments about him. Just trying to be realistic on expectations for a kid going into his first year in the NHL.

In Pastrnak's first NHL season he went 10/17/27 in 46 games.......playing with Krejci. Hopefully, you can get similar numbers out of Lysell. But I wouldn't expect to, and you better have a Plan B.
Pasta was an 18/19 year old wasn't he?

Lysell has 2 Pro seasons under his belt

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I've got the early offseason post free agency excitement going on with this team now.
Just get the Sway deal done and we look good on paper.

Zacha/Lindholm/Pasta
Marchand/Coyle/(Lysell/Merkolov/whoever earns it)
Frederic/Poitras/Geekie
Jones/Beecher/Brazeau
Kastelic

Zadarov/McAvoy
Lindholm/Carlo
Lohrei/Peeke
Wotherspoon

Swayman
Korpisalo

See how that works. Snag a 2RW at the deadline, maybe a middle 6 center. I like it.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I've got the early offseason post free agency excitement going on with this team now.

Zacha/Lindholm/Pasta
Frederic/Poitras/Geekie
Jones/Beecher/Brazeau
Kastelic

Zadarov/McAvoy
Lindholm/Carlo
Lohrei/Peeke
Wotherspoon

Swayman
Korpisalo

See how that works. Snag a 2RW at the deadline, maybe a middle 6 center. I like it.
They didn't trade for Kastellic to sit him, he will be one of there better face off men and Sweeney mentioned him killing penalties as well. I think Brazeau gets 3rd line and Geekie 2nd for now

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They didn't trade for Kastellic to sit him, he will be one of there better face off men and Sweeney mentioned him killing penalties as well. I think Brazeau gets 3rd line and Geekie 2nd for now

Agreed, the 4th line i want to see is Jones, Beecher, Kastellic, Big Strong physical. Some good faceoff men, versitle. That line is going to be a load to play against

Reactions: ylekot

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Are we really that confident in Lysell as the 2R to start the season? Personally, I think that's wishful thinking.

I see him giving us 40-50 games with 10-15 goals and an equal number of assists. And I think I might be a little optimistic with those expectations....And that's not a slam on Lysell. That's just accounting for growing pains in your first season in the NHL.

Is that the production you are OK with out of your 2R?

I'll say this about the idea of Lysell on L2 w/ Marchand & Coyle.....they'll help him become a more responsible player away from the puck because that's how they play.

Reactions: Dr Hook

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

Im unfamiliar with Kastellics game. Would you say it’s Greg Campbell-esque? He had over a 100 pims in 65 games 2 seasons ago. I just assumed he was a throw in with the 1st rounder. Could use a 4th line center with some jam who can win face-offs for sure. Am hoping Beecher can bring some of that as well.

PoisonEye

Hugs
Aug 1, 2005
I would have said to go for a scoring wing before a mid pairing D, but I'm coming around a bit. We can't have both unless you're willing to have neither be all that good. Also, it seems to me like it'll be easier to "rent" a decent wing at the deadline than a solid physical defensive D. Not to mention much greater chance one or more kids makes the roster as a scoring forward than as a D (who do we even have that could make the team? Lohrei doesn't count, he already made the team).

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Im unfamiliar with Kastellics game. Would you say it’s Greg Campbell-esque? He had over a 100 pims in 65 games 2 seasons ago. I just assumed he was a throw in with the 1st rounder. Could use a 4th line center with some jam who can win face-offs for sure. Am hoping Beecher can bring some of that as well.
That is a good comparison, Campbell probably had a little bit better hockey sense but Kastellic is very good on face offs, good straight line skater and hitter and ok fighter. I think the fourth line will be Beecher and Kastellic with revolving wingers until they find a fit

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Carolina gotta or should throw a bag at Necas

Clearly he’s a UFA next summer he’s here (unfortunately not till 2026)

Not sure how the Universe will deliver Necas here next summer but if he’s not signed by Canes, the Broons have the cash to get him in

Zacha- Lindholm - Pastrnak
Marchand - Poitras - Necas

Why play the season - just have the parade in the Fall

Autumn in Boston - Bruins parade

Donny get ahold of Pasta and get this set up

Eat it Buffalo, Detroit, Ottawa, and Montreal waiting for the demise

Let’s Go!!!!!!

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

If going all in on D or adding a forward will be the big question. I would have explored moving Coyle to fit Guenztel, but that assumes he would have even been interested. That’s the hard part about Monday morning QBing, the teams have access to a lot of info we don’t.

Big ice sucks. The "more room to move" thing is a myth. Big ice pushes everything to the perimeter, and you see lower scoring chances, not higher. You only need to look at the Olympics to see that the games played in NHL sized rinks have significantly higher scoring averages than the games played in international rinks.

The NHL should just move to the old Garden ice size.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Zacha/Lindholm/Pasta
Frederic/Poitras/Geekie
Jones/Beecher/Brazeau
Kastelic

Zadarov/McAvoy
Lindholm/Carlo
Lohrei/Peeke
Wotherspoon

Swayman
Korpisalo

I swap the LWs. Let Lysell be the puck carrier with two big bodies and throw Poitras into the top six.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Primary scoring, never mind "secondary scoring" remains a need and perhaps a worry among Bruins fans.

The need and worry is legitimate and can conceivably be addressed in-house, through trade, or via free agency, if it comes to that.

It may.

But, please, time will tell, and in relatively short order.

Much of this is typical media foolishness. Criticism for its own sake.

They have to bitch about something -- we all do -- and despite a very strong draft and free agency performance, that's the new "hot take."

The fundamentals of constructing a hockey team are simple: Build from the goal out. Strong defense. The center position, almost or as critical these days, is "the spine" of a well-built club. Augment on the wings as necessary.

As critical of Sweeney as I have been, I am delighted with his belated embrace of size and physicality, which supports and amplifies "speed and skill."

This formula, as noted repeatedly and vociferously, is not rocket science. Nearly every Stanley Cup champion of recent memory has employed it. Certainly those of every prior era.

I realize you can't win if you can't score.

Yet it's just as true that if you can't keep the puck out of your own net, you can't win either. Getting pushed around on a nightly basis, an inability to clear your own crease, protect your goaltender, break out of the zone cleanly and make opponents pay a physical price is not a diagram for success, either.

I'll take a strong blueline, and strong team defense, over ancillary scoring depth at this point. The scoring depth can be added.

The happy fact is that the Bruins defensive corps has been significantly fortified with size, talent, and at long last, a jolt of genuine menace.

Add elite goaltending from Jeremy Swayman; E. Lindholm as, at least, a significant upgrade to C, if not unquestioned IC; size and physical play from free agent pick-ups and, as dramatically, the 2024 draft.

There have also been notable "additions by subtraction" per Gryz, Heinen, DeBrusk, Forbort, Lauko, etc. I'm not knocking those guys, but they don't fit what I hope the Bruins will become in future.

A team that's not only "hard to play against," but also a team that has opponents running scared.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Primary scoring, never mind "secondary scoring" remains a need and perhaps a worry among Bruins fans.

The need and worry is legitimate and can conceivably be addressed in-house, through trade, or via free agency, if it comes to that.

It may.

But, please, time will tell, and in relatively short order.

Much of this is typical media foolishness. Criticism for its own sake.

They have to bitch about something -- we all do -- and despite a very strong draft and free agency performance, that's the new "hot take."

The fundamentals of constructing a hockey team are simple: Build from the goal out. Strong defense. The center position, almost or as critical these days, is "the spine" of a well-built club. Augment on the wings as necessary.

As critical of Sweeney as I have been, I am delighted with his belated embrace of size and physicality, which supports and amplifies "speed and skill."

This formula, as noted repeatedly and vociferously, is not rocket science. Nearly every Stanley Cup champion of recent memory has employed it. Certainly those of every prior era.

I realize you can't win if you can't score.

Yet it's just as true that if you can't keep the puck out of your own net, you can't win either. Getting pushed around on a nightly basis, an inability to clear your own crease, protect your goaltender, break out of the zone cleanly and make opponents pay a physical price is not a diagram for success, either.

I'll take a strong blueline, and strong team defense, over ancillary scoring depth at this point. The scoring depth can be added.

The happy fact is that the Bruins defensive corps has been significantly fortified with size, talent, and at long last, a jolt of genuine menace.

Add elite goaltending from Jeremy Swayman; E. Lindholm as, at least, a significant upgrade to C, if not unquestioned IC; size and physical play from free agent pick-ups and, as dramatically, the 2024 draft.

There have also been notable "additions by subtraction" per Gryz, Heinen, DeBrusk, Forbort, Lauko, etc. I'm not knocking those guys, but they don't fit what I hope the Bruins will become in future.

A team that's not only "hard to play against," but also a team that has opponents running scared.
I've read your posts for years, and I greatly respect your point of view. I get that you are a fan of being an intimidating team. I like that style of play too, but at the end of the day, winning hockey is about scoring goals and keeping pucks out of your own net. Its literally that simple.

There's a lot of different ways of constructing a roster to do that effectively, with varying degrees of success, but I don't believe that the debate about scoring depth (or lack thereof) is a "hot take" or a media fabrication. I think there's some validity there.

You argue that you'll take a strong blue line and team defense over ancillary scoring depth. I'd argue that we already HAD a strong team defense. We were 5th in the league in goals conceded/game. 3rd in the playoffs. Yes, our goaltending was excellent, but you don't consistently put up those kinds of numbers by riding your goaltending alone.

Conversely, we were 13th in goals scored/game in the regular season. 12th out of 16 teams in the playoffs. We lost that Florida series because we couldn't score, not because our D was poor. Other than Game 1, we didn't score more than 2 goals in any game we played that series and got outshot by a wide margin.

So yeah, I'm glad we added some size and physicality too. It'll be fun watching Zadorov blow people up at the blue line. But the fact remains that we had 50 goals walk during free agency on our forward line and we added a C coming in off of a down year and a couple of 4th liners. I'm not saying its time to panic about that, but I think its a valid concern.

Last edited:

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I would prefer this line up:

Marchy-Lindholm-Pasta- perfection 2.0
Zacha-Coyle-Lysell
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Jones-Beecher-Brazeau
Kastelic/Viel

Lindholm-McAvoy
Zadorov-Carlo (imagine these two together)
Lohrei-Peeke
Wortherspoon

Sway
Bussi

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I wish they could somehow get Sprong signed. He could at least contribute some offense to a team in need of goal scoring. Not a saviour but he would be a step in the right direction.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Pretty much everybody here builds lines better than I can. But I will throw this out. Don’t label Jones as strictly a 4th liner. That’s not a given at all. He can play. I don’t know how they do it but I expect to see him on the third line or higher at points.

Reactions: capecodder

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Zacha/Lindholm/Pasta
Frederic/Poitras/Geekie
Jones/Beecher/Brazeau
Kastelic

Zadarov/McAvoy
Lindholm/Carlo
Lohrei/Peeke
Wotherspoon

Swayman
Korpisalo

Thinking outside the box here...

*Merkolov / Lindholm / Pasta
Marchand / Coyle / *Lysell
Geekie / Zacha / Poitras
Frederic / Beecher / Jones

Kastelic/Brazeau * = pre-season stand-outs

Reactions: shelbysdad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad