Boston Bruins 24-25 Roster/Cap thread IV

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I really think people may need to pump the brakes on focusing on getting another winger. This appears to be purposeful - to open up space for one of two prospects who are on pace to be ready for the NHL. Signing someone else and blocking them seems foolish.
Hopefully one of those kids runs with it .That said though it would be nice to have some cap left just in case

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I really think people may need to pump the brakes on focusing on getting another winger. This appears to be purposeful - to open up space for one of two prospects who are on pace to be ready for the NHL. Signing someone else and blocking them seems foolish.
I don’t know. If you can get someone in here with the potential to fit on that line (add speed, some finish), I think you have to do that.

There’s a difference between guys like Poitras, Beecher, Lohrei and Brazeau forcing the issue and carving out roles on the team - and leaving spots open for “the best of the rest”. That’s how you get Karson Kuhlman as your second line winger on a team with Cup aspirations.

Does Lysell scout as a guy forcing the issue? Merkulov? I hope so… But by most accounts that likely isn’t yet the case.

Regardless, the top six isn’t the wisest place to keep those holes open. Neither is starting goaltender or top four defense.

But I also don’t think they have the cap room for that player. The result is likely going to be a team that requires early leads, as secondary scoring behind Pastrnak is still a primary concern.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
They also don't need to solve every problem now. Leave that spot open and see if someone grabs it or at least improves their own value, bank some cap space, and deal with it at the deadline.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Exciting day for us. Swayman still needs to sign but I'm confident they'll get it done.

Looks like Sweeney is making room for one of the kids to win a spot out of camp and he also said Frederic/Geekie have the opportunity to step up.

He wanted the blueline to be the foundation of the team, which is why Zadorov was targeted and signed.

We have an excess of 4th liners with a range of skills but they all have one common trait and that's size. Beecher and Jones can fly. Kastelic can fight and win faceoffs ( Beecher can win faceoffs as well ), Brazeau has size + hands. Veil can fight and doesn't care who goes with him ( fought Chara ). Tufte is 6'6. IMO they're all on a short leash until play dicates who has won a spot so it should be interesting compeition to watch. Veil and Tufte will most likely be AHL fodder/callups, so the 4th will probably be a varity of combinations of Jones/Beecher/Kastelic/Brazeau
In his presser Sweeney said, in response to a question, that improving the forecheck and "arriving on time" was as much a priority as the two big-name free agents.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I agree it's a gap, but I'd much rather have a hole at 2RW than 1C. You can absolutely get by with a Frederic/Geekie on the 2nd line during the regular season. Not ideal, but they scored 18 and 17 goals last season, 1 and 2 less than Jake respectively.

Far from ideal, but it's much easier and cheaper to fill down the line if it's still glaring.
Yup, Sweeney also said that if they feel that there's a "void" in the top-six they can address it during the year. Give the kids a shot and if it works-out, great. If not then upgrade if they feel it's necessary. There's always the TDL too.

Reactions: Dellstrom

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Also, Necas really wasn't much of a factor against the Rangers, when the Hurricanes really could have used the "fire." I would rather have kept DeBrusk, assuming enough cap space.

Wouldn’t have minded DeBrusk staying but him signing for 5.5m elsewhere you have to think he wanted more term or just wanted out as I don’t see Sweeney batting an eye at that number.

Wish we snagged Duclair at 3.5m.

All and all though, very, very, very happy with what Sweeney has down in UFA. Hope he gets Swayman locked in next.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

100% agree. Give them some run, see if they are ready. If they aren’t quite ready yet then address it at the deadline when there more/better options.

I do think they might be lacking in some scoring/skill though after these moves. Would be nice if one of them can come up and even just be serviceable in that regard.

Reactions: BTO and HustleB

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Zacha-Lindholm-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Lysell
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Jones-Beecher-Brazeau
Kastelic

Zadorov-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Lohrei-Peeke
Wortherspoon

Swayman
Bussi (I think he wins a spot in training camp over Korpisalo)

Speed improvement- Beecher, Jones, Lysell, Poitras (vs Maroon, JVR, Heinen)
Toughness added- Zadorov, Jones, Kastelic, full season of Peeke)
Lindholm Poitras and Lysell add the scoring skillset we were missing in the top 9.

Lysell either shows he can hang in the top 9 or we go out and grab a guy who can. Unpopular vote would be to grab Kane out of Edmonton who's been asked to submit teams he'd waive to go to. Wonder if Korpisalo + Merkulov would work? Or Korpisalo +Geekie?

Reactions: bbfan419

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Yes , don't start that move Peeke stuff please it will just comeback to bite them in the ass, never have enough good D, one injury and we will be looking for Peeke.

certainly didn’t bite them in the ass in the playoffs when he went down. The team got better.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I don’t know. If you can get someone in here with the potential to fit on that line (add speed, some finish), I think you have to do that.

There’s a difference between guys like Poitras, Beecher, Lohrei and Brazeau forcing the issue and carving out roles on the team - and leaving spots open for “the best of the rest”. That’s how you get Karson Kuhlman as your second line winger on a team with Cup aspirations.

Does Lysell scout as a guy forcing the issue? Merkulov? I hope so… But by most accounts that likely isn’t yet the case.

Regardless, the top six isn’t the wisest place to keep those holes open. Neither is starting goaltender or top four defense.

But I also don’t think they have the cap room for that player. The result is likely going to be a team that requires early leads, as secondary scoring behind Pastrnak is still a primary concern.
I agree with You. Although I love the idea of seeing if a Merkulov a Lysell or whoever can come in and make the line-up, but being counted on to be a top six not so much, I'd much rather have the top two lines all set heading into the season and have a lysell or Merkulov start out on the 3rd line and work their way up. Now if they totally over whelm and earn the spot, that would be fantastic. Now with that said, I really like what Sweeney is doing, defense wins championships and signing Zadarov is so much what this team needs and hopefully one of the rooks can step up and show they more than belong, but with the addition of Lindholm and hopefully Poitras coming back healthy, the season cant start soon enough.

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad