24-25 Rookie class / '24 draft picks to make NHL club

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
So who are some of the significant names in this season's rookie class?

and which players from the draft do you think will make their respective NHL club?

off the top of my head:

Michkov PHI
Celebrini SJ
Clarke LA
Gauthier ANA
Smith SJ
Bourque DAL
Hutson MTL
Zellweger ANA
Lambert WPG
Edvinsson DET
Wright SEA
Nazar CHI
Savoie BUF
Kulich BUF
Mailloux MTL

Lekkerimaki VAN ?
Levshunov CHI ?
Lindstrom CLB ?
Silayev NJ ?
Dickinson SJ ?
Leonard WSH ?
Cowan TOR ?

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
So who are some of the significant names in this season's rookie class?

and which players from the draft do you think will make their respective NHL club?

off the top of my head:

Michkov PHI
Celebrini SJ
Clarke LA
Gauthier ANA
Smith SJ
Bourque DAL
Hutson MTL
Zellweger ANA
Lambert WPG
Edvinsson DET
Wright SEA
Nazar CHI
Savoie BUF
Kulich BUF
Mailloux MTL

Lekkerimaki VAN ?
Levshunov CHI ?
Lindstrom CLB ?
Silayev NJ ?
Dickinson SJ ?
Leonard WSH ?
Cowan TOR ?
Leonard is a no go for Washington.

Don’t know if Hendrix Lapierre qualifies? Played 50 games last year. He looks tremendous.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Leonard is a no go for Washington.

Don’t know if Hendrix Lapierre qualifies? Played 50 games last year. He looks tremendous.
Calder eligibility.... "cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league"

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I think it's pretty unlikely Mailloux starts with Montreal. Hutson will have the inside track over him, and then we have
Matheson, Guhle, Savard, Xhekaj, Harris, Barron, Struble who he would have to beat out.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I think it's pretty unlikely Mailloux starts with Montreal. Hutson will have the inside track over him, and then we have
Matheson, Guhle, Savard, Xhekaj, Harris, Barron, Struble who he would have to beat out.
dunno about that... Mailloux is 6'3 220lbs, played a full year in Laval while finishing 3rd in league scoring amonst Dmen

Hutson definitely has the skill, but is still only 162 lbs... Id like to see him in Laval for 2-3 months, personally

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Silayev NJ ?

I'd have to look it up, but I seem to recall reading that Silayev has a couple years left on his deal in Russia. Devils signed Brenden Dillon as a placeholder and hopefully Silayev can take that spot down the line. Devils probably wouldn't be forcing him into the lineup as a teenager especially with Hughes/Nemec already going through their expected lumps last year.

Probably no Calder eligible guys for the Devils this season barring injuries. Nolan Foote might have the inside track to one of the 14 spots due his waiver status, but I don't think he's a roster regular at the moment. After trading for Jonathan Kovacevic and extending Nick DeSimone, it seems like the plan is for Seamus Casey to get a ton of ice time in the AHL this season which is probably best for his development.

Ballpark approximation of the depth chart:

Meier-Hughes-Bratt
Tatar-Hischier-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Noesen
Cotter-Lazar-Bastian
Foote-MacDermid
------------------------
Willman-Bowers-Halonen
Laberge-Dowling-Hardman
Beckman-Schmelzer-Legare
Filmon-Wendt-Stillman

Siegenthaler-Hamilton
Hughes-Pesce
Dillon-Nemec
Kovacevic
------------------------
Hatakka-DeSimone
White-Casey
Misyul-Diotte
Vilen

Markstrom-Allen
----------------------
Daws-Poulter-Brennan

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don’t think you’ll see Kulich and Savoie as regulars for Buffalo. Maybe as injury fill ins when scoring line players get hurt. The Sabres are collecting the likes of Malenstyn and Lafferty to beef up their bottom six with experience and two-way play. The top six looks full.

Nazar looks like he has a good shot right now as Chicago is bereft of 2C options but it’ll take a great camp and if he’s not gonna log prime minutes, better he gets first line time in Rockford.

That kind of thinking applies to a lot of these guys…I mean as of now, I certainly think guys like Hutson, Zellweger, Lysell, Lambert all get long looks or even seem like locks but it will come down to role and usage versus big minutes time in the AHL.

Don’t be surprised to see guys who played nearly all year last year in the NHL - the likes of Korchinski, Thrun, etc - be sent back to the AHL this year for seasoning. Development is not a steady curve and being in the NHL does not make you, necessarily, better or more ready than your peers.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Lev is a no go for Chicago. They want him to have a full year in Rockford.

Nazar is a maybe. He looked good but Chicago signed a ton of players so he’ll have to earn his spot during the preseason. Del Mastro could also push for a spot, it’s likely him vs Korchinski to start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad