WC: 2029 World Championship bidding process - Slovakia, Hungary & Britain

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
SZĽH Pres Miroslav Šatan: Slovakia has applied to host the IIHF Worlds in 2029. If I know, Hungary and Great Britain have applied for that tournament as well.
source (in Slovak)

There have been rumours about a new arena to be build in Bratislava in case of hosting the Worlds. Hoping around 15000 seats.

Reactions: Fil and Czechboy

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
SZĽH Pres Miroslav Šatan: Slovakia has applied to host the IIHF Worlds in 2029. If I know, Hungary and Great Britain have applied for that tournament as well.
source (in Slovak)

There have been rumours about a new arena to be build in Bratislava in case of hosting the Worlds. Hoping around 15000 seats.
Hmm I hope that's not true, because that would be a massive waste of money?

Almost every club outside of Bratislava and Kosice is playing on ancient crumbling stadiums.. Why would we want to build another massive stadium in Bratislava and not invest in other regions?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
should-the-2029-world-championship-go-to-the-uk-to-expand-v0-5xecr6r6mmzc1.jpeg

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The Bristol arena will be built inside a disused airfield hangar:

2560px-Inside_the_Brabazon_Hangar_%28geograph_6278217%29.jpg

_111701837_ytlarena2.jpg

In Manchester the new Co-op Live arena would be used:

6ifb193kzqsc1.jpeg

Reactions: ellja3

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

Almost every club outside of Bratislava and Kosice is playing on ancient crumbling stadiums.. Why would we want to build another massive stadium in Bratislava and not invest in other regions?
Agree. Other regions should get new venues as well. But, honestly, there is another reason why they want to build another one in Bratislava.

Fil

Nov 1, 2023
Agree. Other regions should get new venues as well. But, honestly, there is another reason why they want to build another one in Bratislava.
I heard a from a Czech website (I'm sorry I forgot which one it was if I still had it, I would Post it here) That the new arena they are building in Brno could be used as an arena with Bratislava (Ondrej Nepela) for the 2029 games because allegedly Kosice might not meet the requirements as an IIHF "ready" arena anymore.
I would love a Czechoslovakia tournament lol

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
I heard a from a Czech website (I'm sorry I forgot which one it was if I still had it, I would Post it here) That the new arena they are building in Brno could be used as an arena with Bratislava (Ondrej Nepela) for the 2029 games because allegedly Kosice might not meet the requirements as an IIHF "ready" arena anymore.
I would love a Czechoslovakia tournament lol
Yeah, arena in Košice might be a problem. Brno is considered but nothing decided because the arena is not built yet. So they sent an application with Bratislava & Košice as host cities. source (in Slovak)

Reactions: Fil

Fil

Nov 1, 2023
Yeah, arena in Košice might be a problem. Brno is considered but nothing decided because the arena is not built yet. source (in Slovak)
Brno should be built by then but thank you I think that was the website I was talking about earlier :)

Reactions: vorky

Fil

Nov 1, 2023
Also, I heard something about you have to be in top division for 5 years to bid for World Championships can anyone tell me if this is true?
Because if it is Hungary and UK are not getting the games

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Also, I heard something about you have to be in top division for 5 years to bid for World Championships can anyone tell me if this is true?
Because if it is Hungary and UK are not getting the games
At least two out of the previous five years.

Reactions: ellja3

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Never heard about it. Source?

There was other rumor: To build an arena somewhere between Zvolen and Banska Bystrica, that could use both teams.
Have you never heard about proposed arena? Try to google what Mr. Hrubý said about new arena for Slovan before his death. Plus statements from Ministry of Sport and J&T.

Reactions: alko

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio

because Slovak "cities" other than Bratislava and Kosice are tiny and they would not be able to maintain big arenas or host a global tournament.

I am all for building new Arenas in other places, but these would not be able to host a World Championship. It makes no sense to build a 10 000+ capacity arena in a town with a population of 80 000.

A 15k arena in Bratislava could be used for other purposes outside of hockey.

Fil

Nov 1, 2023
Hungary is bidding right? So, what are the stadiums they are using?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Officially everyone's just at a declaration of interest phase and contracts with arena operators likely do not exist anywhere. But I would have to think that in Hungary Papp László Sportaréna in Budapest and Alba Aréna in Székesfehérvár would be used.

Fil

Nov 1, 2023
Officially everyone's just at a declaration of interest phase and contracts with arena operators likely do not exist anywhere. But I would have to think that in Hungary Papp László Sportaréna in Budapest and Alba Aréna in Székesfehérvár would be used.
the 1st one can be used because it has a capacity of 9,500 people for hockey but the other one it says it only hosts 3,000...for basketball so defiantly no lol.
So, it has to be the MVM Dome because that place is huge (4th biggest in all of Europe) the capacity for handball is 20,028 so for hockey my guess it would be around 19000-19300

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
With certain (high) optimism about ticket sales the MVM Dome is certainly a possibility too, but I'm not sure that it would work with Papp László Sportaréna as they are only a few tram stops away, albeit on different metro lines.

The Alba Aréna hockey capacity should be around 6,000 spectators.

aarena%20nyilt%20nap%2013.jpg

Fil

Nov 1, 2023
With certain (high) optimism about ticket sales the MVM Dome is certainly a possibility too, but I'm not sure that it would work with Papp László Sportaréna as they are only a few tram stops away, albeit on different metro lines.

The Alba Aréna hockey capacity should be around 6,000 spectators.
Way too small but it looks like a nice place to watch hockey

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Last year of the 30 games in Riga only 12 had an official attendance figure higher than 6,000 while several were under 3,000. Not a whole lot better in Helsinki either. In my opinion it's better to sell out that building than to have 40 % attendance in a massive arena.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Hungary is bidding right? So, what are the stadiums they are using?
We are now in a phase "letter of intent." By January 10, 2025 countries have to officially applie for a bid. IIHF Congress will choose a hosting country at their meeting during the IIHF Worlds 2025. As for Hungary, their hockey federation has not wanted to comment it now. We do not know what arenas they want to use. They just admited their interest. If I were them, I would use MVM Dome & Papp László Sportaréna.

PS:
Looks like there is just a couple countries in Europe who can host the IIHF Worlds in just one city. Budapesť is one of them, another are Minsk, Zürich, St.Petersburg & Moscow, hoping Helsinki will add soon. We will see if Bratislava will build a new arena.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fil

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There is also an option of co-hosting .... Slovakia+Czech rep ..... Slovakia+Hungary

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Riga 2006 is old era which is never coming back. Riga 2021 was played during COVID, without attendance, arena requirements were not met. If the IIHF wants to go strict with hosting arena requirements in future, Riga can not host any future tournament alone. Meaning elite division.

Fjorden

Jan 17, 2021
Bergen, Norway
www.bergenishockey.no
source (in Slovak)

As far as I know, Slovakia dosen't have a 12k+ arena then they are not qualified to host. If Slovakia wants to build a 15k arena by 2029 then they don't have enough time. Could it be an idea if Slovakia and Hungary co-hosts? They're bordering countries and Budapest and Bratislava are just a short 2 hour drive apart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad