2028 Summer Olympics - Los Angeles

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

1183 miles between OKC and LA.

Well, they have tested out the technology for the football stadium conversion to swimming pool. (Diving won't happen there. Too shallow.)

Previous related BOS threads:

Reactions: SirJW

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
That seems utterly insane. That's the equivalent distance-wise of the Paris games this year having a couple events in Bucharest.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
That seems utterly insane. That's the equivalent distance-wise of the Paris games this year having a couple events in Bucharest.
Soccer matches historically are played in distant locales from the Games site… there were two East Coast sites during the 1984 Los Angeles games. So it’s not unheard of.

Given the venue already exists, while not ideal for people who want shorter travel, it makes some sense in this case.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
It’s funny people complain about the cost l amd they come up with a solution that cuts down on cost and people still complain

Reactions: varsaku

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I was wondering where the rowing events would be held. Ends up it'll be in Long Beach. However, that facility is only 1500m, not the standard 2000m.

They looked at another venue, but would require a satellite Olympic village.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Would have figured with all of the colleges in California that they would hold them at USC, U of California and their various locations, even up to Stanford and Berkeley or down to SD if needed for softball.

A smaller location in terms of seats might be the better sacrifice than sending them to okc. Is that typically a big draw attendance wise?

All of the track events will be at the collesium, home of the Trojans. Guess any of staples, intuit, the old Forum and any of the smaller arenas like for the Ontario Reign, long beach, etc can be used for basketball, volley, wrestling, gymnastics etc.

Sofi I guess had nothing on the docket. Guess it will mirror what was done in Indy.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Would have figured with all of the colleges in California that they would hold them at USC, U of California and their various locations, even up to Stanford and Berkeley or down to SD if needed for softball.

A smaller location in terms of seats might be the better sacrifice than sending them to okc. Is that typically a big draw attendance wise?

All of the track events will be at the collesium, home of the Trojans. Guess any of staples, intuit, the old Forum and any of the smaller arenas like for the Ontario Reign, long beach, etc can be used for basketball, volley, wrestling, gymnastics etc.

Sofi I guess had nothing on the docket. Guess it will mirror what was done in Indy.
There expecting softball to be a big draw especially since okc gets big crowds for the wcws . The biggest thing is they don’t want to pay building a new facility or massively temporary upgrades

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I see baseball is making an appearance again. I would like to see MLB shut down for two weeks to have a proper tournament but that is highly doubtful

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sofi I guess had nothing on the docket. Guess it will mirror what was done in InIndy.
Buldings seem to be booked 2+ years in advance. So likely LAOC reserved Sofi for the needed set up and events (including Paralympics in August).

NFL preseason games likely elsewhere, but should be back on turf surface by season open.

SirJW

Jan 25, 2007
The LA

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

LA mayor promises "no car" Olympics. All venues would require public transportation. (What public transportation?)

Only so much to say here with the political talk rules but holy crap what an ignorant and dumb statement. Good luck with that.

I guess she's having a high speed train built from LA to Oklahoma?

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny

LA mayor promises "no car" Olympics. All venues would require public transportation. (What public transportation?)
Definite oversell. More important, I suspect she references LA proper and not, say, Pasadena.

Thing is, in four Olympics, the only places I actually drove to the event site without a shuttle or public transportation were the Rose Bowl, Sanford Stadium on the Georgia campus, and Maverik near Salt Lake City. The events at the Expo in LA required shuttle buses from several outlying locations. And yet… 1984 was the easiest ever (in my limited experience) getting around LA, including a midnight drive or two.

By the way, Salt Lake borrowed buses from all over. None of those buses apologized for being full the way Vancouver’s did.

Reactions: SirJW

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3