2025 NHL Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Caleb Desnoyers: A Model Hockey PlayerThe center exhibits the perfect profile of a responsible player who can be trusted in any situation to make an impact. His work ethic on the ice is impeccable, as is his consistency every night.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
For the 2025 draft, if it is possible, my choice would be to select a center because I have little confidence in Dach's health and after Suzuki, there is only Hage who seems to have the potential of a top 6 center. The candidate are Hagens, maybe Martone, Missa, Ryabkin, McQueen, Desnoyers, Moore, Obrien, McKinney.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
For the 2025 draft, if it is possible, my choice would be to select a center because I have little confidence in Dach's health and after Suzuki, there is only Hage who seems to have the potential of a top 6 center. The candidate are Hagens, maybe Martone, Missa, Ryabkin, McQueen, Desnoyers, Moore, Obrien, McKinney.

It's a good crop of centers. But I do want to see if Demidov can play center in the NHL.
I do think we have to switch to a pure BPA strategy.
We clearly need a top-line RW prospect more than a center.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevins and Fenris

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
It's a good crop of centers. But I do want to see if Demidov can play center in the NHL.
I do think we have to switch to a pure BPA strategy.
We clearly need a top-line RW prospect more than a center.
It is not realistic for Demidov to play center at NHL level if he is not playing center at lower levels and does not have that experience.
I agree with BPA strategy, but we could honestly get more center depth - Suzuki, Dach, Hage, Newhook, Beck, Kapanen. You can still move some of them to wing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevins

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
It is not realistic for Demidov to play center at NHL level if he is not playing center at lower levels and does not have that experience.
I agree with BPA strategy, but we could honestly get more center depth - Suzuki, Dach, Hage, Newhook, Beck, Kapanen. You can still move some of them to wing.
Demidov played centre fairly often in the MHL, started the playoffs there. He’s stated he prefers to play centre and would be happy to play there if the coaching staff made that decision. I’d be curious to see how he performs if given a chance with SKA, there’s parts of his skill set that would really shine, other aspects that may not.

I’d happily pick a centre in the upcoming draft though. If things work out and we have two or more solid top-6 Cs, the transition to wing is not complicated.

Reactions: Fenris

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
McQueen would add a nice size, skill and grit element to our Top 6 but I’m not sure he will be available when we pick. I’d definitely try trading up for him.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
We need to go BPA. Be that Schaefer, McQueen or Martone. I also dont get the those saying we absolutely need another top line forward. This top 9 is plenty good:

Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Laine-Dach-Demidov
Newhook-Hage-Roy

Reactions: waitin425

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
We need to go BPA. Be that Schaefer, McQueen or Martone. I also dont get the those saying we absolutely need another top line forward. This top 9 is plenty good:

Laine-Dach-Demidov
Newhook-Hage-Roy

Except Demidov is a NOT a RW. Neither is Laine, NOR is Slafkovski, we have 4 natural LW. We need a natural RW.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I'm setting my expectations for the next habs pick at 'Caleb Desnoyers' now and will allow myself to be pleasantly surprised on draft day

Last edited:
Reactions: bopeep

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
I'm setting my expectations for the next habs pick at 'Caleb Desnoyers' now and will allow myself to be pleasantly surprised on draft day
Desnoyers would be a great add to the existing pool. Not sure if he's been mentioned but William Moore may fall into that 10 - 12 range and I could get behind that as well.

Reactions: overlords

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Except Demidov is a NOT a RW. Neither is Laine, NOR is Slafkovski, we have 4 natural LW. We need a natural RW.
Demidov is 100% a RW (hes a leftie who loves to play his offside). Slaf played RW last year and looked dominant.

Reactions: HabsMD97

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
Jake O'Brien's Player ProfileHe already looked like a veteran, with his playmaking, especially under pressure, being advanced for his age. O'Brien isn't big or physically strong, but he does an excellent job of keeping the puck on his stick and his 51 assists is a good start."

Reactions: bopeep

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Demidov is 100% a RW (hes a leftie who loves to play his offside). Slaf played RW last year and looked dominant.

So in the Russian tradition he's a LW.

I'm talking about a player who loves to play RW for the past 10 years and shoots right. A pure breed RW.

Call Slaf performance what you will, but that's not dominance, I've seen Mario Lemieux in his prime thank you.

Demidov is absolutely a RW, what even is this?

No, he's not; he's used on the LW, preferably.

What even is that?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Demidov actually plays RW.

Slafkovsky also don't seem to mind playing either wings, when he got going he was RW to Caufield and Suzuki, and he stayed there.

Everyone pointing out Demidov "actually play RW" didn't watch him much before his draft and are just looking at his shooting side. Most scouts consider him a natural LW, he can play both wings obviously. But you are not getting the transversal pass/cutting on the inside advantage if he plays RW. And he's not fast enough to play RW and go around the D, he needs to dangle his way to the net. LW is much better for him (like RW was better for Kovalev)

All wingers play all wings. My point is: having someone who is more specialized on the RW would be good. Our most natural RW is Kirby Dach (by 5 miles).

Caufield
Slaf
Laine
Demidov
Roy
NewHook

All natural LW.

Last edited:

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

I'm talking about a player who loves to play RW for the past 10 years and shoots right. A pure breed RW.

Call Slaf performance what you will, but that's not dominance, I've seen Mario Lemieux in his prime thank you.

What even is that?
Sure would suck to have another Guy Lafleur or Maurice Richard... or Jagr/Kane/St. Louis/Kucherov/Hossa/Gaborik etc.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

What even is that?
Whats the difference between a left shooting RW and a right shooting RW. The ability to receive passes on their backhand or forehand? That's all I can think of.

A winger is a winger in my opinion. Some are more comfortable on their off wing, some are not. I personally don't get caught up in what way they shoot.

Laine-Dach-Demidov
Newhook-Hage-Roy
Add in Beck and Kapanen who have top 9 potential and we are very deep.

Reactions: Sagikev

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Whats the difference between a left shooting RW and a right shooting RW. The ability to receive passes on their backhand or forehand? That's all I can think of.

A winger is a winger in my opinion. Some are more comfortable on their off wing, some are not. I personally don't get caught up in what way they shoot.

Add in Beck and Kapanen who have top 9 potential and we are very deep.

Generally positional instincts: every time you put someone with 1-2 years of experience in a position, it takes 5 years to develop sufficient instincts. For example, compare Kovalev at LW with at RW, and the point per game won't be the same at all.

I'm not getting caught up. It's only striking that ALL of our top 3 lines wingers are natural LW. And Mesar needs to find the road again.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Generally positional instincts: every time you put someone with 1-2 years of experience in a position, it takes 5 years to develop sufficient instincts. For example, compare Kovalev at LW with at RW, and the point per game won't be the same at all.

I'm not getting caught up. It's only striking that ALL of our top 3 lines wingers are natural LW. And Mesar needs to find the road again.
Are positional instincts determined by your handedness or are they nurtured through years of playing that position? Ovechkin has played his entire career on the off wing. Are you suggesting, that his positional instincts would have kicked in to even higher production on the right side?

There are examples both ways.

As a right shot guy myself, I would have never played the left side, for the sole reason, I can't catch a pass on my backhand to save my life. Beer league kind of stuff. I don't think any of these guys have that problem. The positioning and responsibility on the ice is the same though, so I fail to see how one would insinctively be a right wing vs. instinctively be a left wing. That confusion would only come into play for someone who has played their entire career on one side.

Reactions: Sagikev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad