2025 NHL Draft: Lose a ton for Porter Martone

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Feels like we're gonna have a good chance to fill in the last holes next draft. Our pick will be in the top 5 and we'll be in a position to draft one more high end forward. And if Vegas finish out of the playoffs, we're in a good position to pick one of the higher rated defense. If they get to the playoffs, it puts us in a spot to draft Ravensbergen to be the goalie of the future.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
In Silicon Valley, where the waters are deep,
The Sharks await destiny, in dreams they keep.
Adorned in teal, with eyes on the prize,
They yearn for the moment their fortunes will rise.

In the draft’s grand lottery, a wish takes flight,
For the number two pick to shine so bright.
To claim Porter Mortone, swift on the wing,
To skate beside Celebrini, where victories sing.

Together they’ll charge, a formidable pair,
With skill and passion, beyond compare.
In the Tank's embrace, the crowd will cheer,
As their partnership grows, year by year.
Through seasons of challenge, they’ll fiercely strive,
With eyes on the Cup, their spirits alive.

By 2035, may their journey be complete,
With banners of triumph, their legacy sweet.
So here’s to the Sharks, with hopeful hearts,
To fate and fortune, and glorious starts.
May the draft bring the player they desire,
To fuel their quest and light the fire.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Hensler is for the Vegas pick. Yes, we're Sharks fan and now we're getting greedy!
Hey a dream lineup in 2026-2027 would be Martone-Celebrini-Toffoli, Musty-Smith-Eklund, Chernyshov-Bystedt/Edstrom-Zetterlund, Haltunnen-Edstrom/Bystedt-Goodrow I guess and a blueline of Dickinson-trade target, Mukh-Hensler, and some combination of young guys or vets (Emberson, Wallenius, Furlong, Cagnoni, Pohlkamp, Thrun, Thompson, or vet signings/FA).

Never plays out this way, but it's fun to dream lol

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Hey a dream lineup in 2026-2027 would be Martone-Celebrini-Toffoli, Musty-Smith-Eklund, Chernyshov-Bystedt/Edstrom-Zetterlund, Haltunnen-Edstrom/Bystedt-Goodrow I guess and a blueline of Dickinson-trade target, Mukh-Hensler, and some combination of young guys or vets (Emberson, Wallenius, Furlong, Cagnoni, Pohlkamp, Thrun, Thompson, or vet signings/FA).

Never plays out this way, but it's fun to dream lol
That RD trade or UFA target better be making $20 million or they are spending $15 million in net.

That lineup would have 10 players on ELCs.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
That RD trade or UFA target better be making $20 million or they are spending $15 million in net.

That lineup would have 10 players on ELCs.
Oh yeah, that lineup isn't realistic. A few of those prospects either don't make it or get traded for a top-3 defenseman and/or top-6 winger.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
I don't understand why everyone is giving up on Hagens. I wouldn't trade a Hagens for 3 Martone's.
I'm confident we'll win the lottery and select James and form a monster center duo with Celebrini-Hagens. Otherwise, I still prefer Frondell to Martone.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
In Silicon Valley, where the waters are deep,
The Sharks await destiny, in dreams they keep.
Adorned in teal, with eyes on the prize,
They yearn for the moment their fortunes will rise.

In the draft’s grand lottery, a wish takes flight,
For the number two pick to shine so bright.
To claim Porter Mortone, swift on the wing,
To skate beside Celebrini, where victories sing.

Together they’ll charge, a formidable pair,
With skill and passion, beyond compare.
In the Tank's embrace, the crowd will cheer,
As their partnership grows, year by year.
Through seasons of challenge, they’ll fiercely strive,
With eyes on the Cup, their spirits alive.

By 2035, may their journey be complete,
With banners of triumph, their legacy sweet.
So here’s to the Sharks, with hopeful hearts,
To fate and fortune, and glorious starts.
May the draft bring the player they desire,
To fuel their quest and light the fire.
Sung to the tune of The Beverly Hillbillies theme.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I don't understand why everyone is giving up on Hagens. I wouldn't trade a Hagens for 3 Martone's.
I'm confident we'll win the lottery and select James and form a monster center duo with Celebrini-Hagens. Otherwise, I still prefer Frondell to Martone.
I have not read much about Martone other than him being a winger who will go in the top 5 with size. It sounds like he is significantly better than Sennecke.

The problem with Hagens is that he is essentially redundant with Smith, as an offensively gifted C who is not expected to have the 200ft impact Celebrini does. He is also smaller than Smith.

With Celebrini and Smith not having size it does not leave much room in the lineup for another small forward in the top 6. Now Hagens would be insurance if Smith doesn’t hit but the Sharks should have an idea on that going into the draft. If you win the lottery and Hagens has that much value above Martone then you take him, but if it is close then a trade down could be huge. You could probably trade down 2-3 spots and pick up 2 1sts in the process.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Hot take but I don’t think Hagens even goes 1OA. Too risky to draft a smurf “center” (probably ends up on the wing in the NHL) over someone like Frondell or even Schaefer if he has a strong season.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wow, I’m gonna need you to elaborate on this one. Do you think Hagens is Crosby or do you really hate Martone?

No one is giving up on Hagens, but we’re not being greedy. We just won Celebrini and I’m satisfied with that. Hagens would be gravy, Celebrini was the centerpiece. We don’t need Hagens, so it behooves us to discuss other more probable options. Especially when Porter Martone is the exact player we need to complete our top-9 perfectly. He’s got first line skill in a 6’3” power-forward body.

If we ended up getting lucky and winning Hagens, then great. But we don’t need it.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Wow, I’m gonna need you to elaborate on this one. Do you think Hagens is Crosby or do you really hate Martone?

No one is giving up on Hagens, but we’re not being greedy. We just won Celebrini and I’m satisfied with that. Hagens would be gravy, Celebrini was the centerpiece. We don’t need Hagens, so it behooves us to discuss other more probable options. Especially when Porter Martone is the exact player we need to complete our top-9 perfectly. He’s got first line skill in a 6’3” power-forward body.

If we ended up getting lucky and winning Hagens, then great. But we don’t need it.

But who will we pick when Vegas drops to 2 and we get 1?

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013

So if the Sharks get Hagens should they just trade him? What would be a proper return?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad