Prospect Info: 2025 draft discussion

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I know who Hakan is. I don't know what a "Hakan Pick" is or what "Hakan's Pick" is.
I will never think I am going to outsmart Hakan Andersson. I picked Gastrin because he fits what we look for and as of this time should be available if we pick around the 20th overall pick. But when it comes to Euros I will always defer to Andersson. I cannot recall the last time I would have complained about a pick out of Europe. Go back to the Mo Seider draft thread. While lots of people complained I just shrugged my shoulders and said 'if Hakan approves then I'm down with the pick'.

Reactions: Henkka

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
People generally say because Hakan is the head of European scouting that it'll go through him and Hakan's stamp is on him.
Are you saying that the Wings don't create a draft list or that Hakan unilaterally determines where Euros fall on that draft list? I am very confused.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Are you saying that the Wings don't create a draft list or that Hakan unilaterally determines where Euros fall on that draft list? I am very confused.

Hakan is the head European scout and he famously pushed for guys like Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Why in the hell is this controversial?

Everyone bitched about Tyler Wright's picks when he headed up the scouting department... or Draper's picks of NA players.

I'm not saying that the Wings neglect to make a draft list... but I am saying that lots of times when people say Hakan picks now, they do mean that he has the final say-so on european players as he's the head scout who reports to Yzerman for there.

Are there specific foreign scouts that push for this guy versus that? Of course. Like Christer Rockstrom. But the boss gets the credit for good picks and he gets the blame for bad picks.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Maybe this is the season Detroit wins the lottery?
We really are stuck in purgatory. We arent bad enough anymore to bottom out to get the game breaking talent, or good enough to cobble a playoff push off. Last year was our best shot and now we're still 2-3 years away from making that push.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
We really are stuck in purgatory. We arent bad enough anymore to bottom out to get the game breaking talent, or good enough to cobble a playoff push off. Last year was our best shot and now we're still 2-3 years away from making that push.
Meh, we are one long term injury to Larkin or Seider away from being really bad. We are still a very fragile group without much depth.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Meh, we are one long term injury to Larkin or Seider away from being really bad. We are still a very fragile group without much depth.
I think you under estimate how bad montreal san jose anahiem and chicago still are. And somehow one or both of Buffalo and ottawa we still be worse than us.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Should be in the running for James Hagens, that should be exciting. Lottery night will be worth watching.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Think our draft strategies will start changing at some point.

Yzerman has clearly had a plan to draft

A) defence-first
B) goalies-first
C) defensive minded top forwards first.

That will create the right team culture, and skill players will come last. This is kind of the smartest tactic under the cap. Skill player will get paid too much for their needless early production at youngish age. When you get the defensive minded guys first, your caphits won't accelerate out of the hands.

I know many have hated this approach, but I don't think drafting only defensive or physical forwards will last forever. Plante was first sign, that they will start trying to find these offensive gems too.

The right culture is created first and skill added last.

The Yzerplan.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Think our draft strategies will start changing at some point.

Yzerman has clearly had a plan to draft

A) defence-first
B) goalies-first
C) defensive minded top forwards first.

That will create the right team culture, and skill players will come last. This is kind of the smartest tactic under the cap. Skill player will get paid too much for their needless early production at youngish age. When you get the defensive minded guys first, your caphits won't accelerate out of the hands.

I know many have hated this approach, but I don't think drafting only defensive or physical forwards will last forever. Plante was first sign, that they will start trying to find these offensive gems too.

The right culture is created first and skill added last.

The Yzerplan.
I mean, it's easy to see a pattern when you just completely ignore other pieces of evidence.

Mastrosimone, Tyutyayev, Raymond, the Dower-Nilsson boys, Kilpinen, Buchelnikov, Lombardi, Sandin-Pellikka. Yzerman has been drafting "skill" players since he got here.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I mean, it's easy to see a pattern when you just completely ignore other pieces of evidence.

Mastrosimone, Tyutyayev, Raymond, the Dower-Nilsson boys, Kilpinen, Buchelnikov, Lombardi, Sandin-Pellikka. Yzerman has been drafting "skill" players since he got here.

Yeah, but all top drafted forwards have not been lacking defence. Raymond, Kasper, Danielson, MBN.

It would look a bit different if you go after Eiserman, Dvorsky, Savoie, Eklund etc.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Starting to hone in on a couple players for Detroit's 1st.

Cole Reschny
Charlie Trethewey
Malcolm Spence
Jake O'Brien
Ivan Ryabkin

After the 1st:

Braeden Cootes
Gabriel D'Aigle
L.J. Mooney
Bill Zannon
Braydon McCallum
Ben Kevan