2024 World Juniors Summer Showcase - July 28 - August 3 - USA Hockey Arena, Plymouth, MI

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Already have our tickets for Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday! Canada is back this year for the first time since Covid!

I'm going to suggest it again - take the time and make the trip to Plymouth, Michigan for this. It's guaranteed that at least one or more Sabres draft picks will be there - including Wahlberg. I saw him there last year. In past years I've seen 16 year old Dahlin, Mittelstadt, UPL, Samuelsson, and a few more. A majority of the NHL GM's are there along with some coaches and a lot of scouts. I've had chats with Chris Drury, Brian Campbell, and Jerry Forton. Everyone is cool and relaxed too and they all sit in the same stands as you.

Summer Show Case.jpg

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
I use to live not even 10 min from the arena. Folks still live around the area and it's not a super far drive for me. Thinking the 29th would be the day I'd be able to go.

Reactions: Butt Ox and Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I use to live not even 10 min from the arena. Folks still live around the area and it's not a super far drive for me. Thinking the 29th would be the day I'd be able to go.

Before we were married my wife used to work literally across the street. When the arena used to charge for parking we'd park in her lot and cross Beck Road (which is BUSY) in -10 degree weather. Dumb AND cheap.

Still probably our absolute favorite place to watch hockey.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Before we were married my wife used to work literally across the street. When the arena used to charge for parking we'd park in her lot and cross Beck Road (which is BUSY) in -10 degree weather. Dumb AND cheap.

Still probably our absolute favorite place to watch hockey.
I can't imagine running across that road in the black of night after the games are over. That's insane lol.

It is a great arena. I really miss the Whalers.

Reactions: Dingo44

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I can't imagine running across that road in the black of night after the games are over. That's insane lol.

It is a great arena. I really miss the Whalers.

That was before I met her but she loved the Whalers. Still has a bunch of memorabilia.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
USA Roster is out

Ziemer, Powell, Stiga are among the forwards I am interested in for this draft so that should be interesting to see em once they are picked. Lots of talent there.

I have heard Walhberg will be there for the Swedes.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Currently at the USA White - Finland game. I thought I wouldn't see #22 Ziemer or #2 Kleber as they were on Team Blue but they're out here on Team White.

Ziemer is up playing with Hagens and Eisermann which has to be the best line of the tournament. They look it too. He's also on PP1. Got a penalty too.

Kleber is on PP2 and has looked really steady. He's big and has a very active stick. He makes smart passes but also will jump into the play.

20240731_171537.jpg
20240731_171244.jpg

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
So, after the second period I saw Craig Button looking scruffy as he was talking to a bunch of guys.

But then as I walked into the bathroom E. J. Hradek was walking out and we made eye contact. He's easily my least favorite hockey "personality". But I would never say anything. I also noticed I'm a lot taller than him.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Ziemer with a huge snipe to win the game over Canada in the 6th round of the shootout! He was on fire!

View attachment 899025 View attachment 899024
That's the most electric that arena has been of all the Summer Showcases I've been to. Quentin Musty was a force out there and Cole Hutson is just as fun to watch as his bro Laine.

That's awesome you got to see a Sabres pick win the game. I was very pleased with our dude, Max Plante. I was surprised with how strong the U.S. looked considering the big guns didn't play today.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
That's the most electric that arena has been of all the Summer Showcases I've been to. Quentin Musty was a force out there and Cole Hutson is just as fun to watch as his bro Laine.

That's awesome you got to see a Sabres pick win the game. I was very pleased with our dude, Max Plante. I was surprised with how strong the U.S. looked considering the big guns didn't play today.

We love going to these games. My wife is a big Red Wings fan so we both had a lot about which to be happy.

Ziemer was a force. He plays PP1 and PK1. He had so many chances tonight including that breakaway he created late in regulation so I was happy he got the game winner in the shootout. Him and Plante were dangerous every time they were out there.

Gibson on Canada who is a Red Wings pick was solid but didn't stand out. Kleber who is a Sabres pick was more solid and he was on PK1 for the USA plus at the end of overtime when they needed to get to OT they had out both Ziemer and Kleber.

The best players on Canada I thought were Cristal and Iginla. Dickenson was fiesty. Senneke looked tentative.

Hutson was very good but also had a few hiccups. He's like his brother but was he has in size he loses a bit in defensive play in my opinion.

Eiserman was pounding that puck all game with no success until the tying goal which was good to see.

Hagens is going to be first overall in 2025. So good.

We love going to USA Hockey Arena. It's worth heading up every year for this tournament. I didn't see as many NHL GM's this year but the hockey was the best I've seen.

People I spotted:

Jason Botterill (boo!)
Patrick Sharp
Keith Jones
I'm sure there were a ton of big wigs I didn't recognize.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
We love going to these games. My wife is a big Red Wings fan so we both had a lot about which to be happy.

Ziemer was a force. He plays PP1 and PK1. He had so many chances tonight including that breakaway he created late in regulation so I was happy he got the game winner in the shootout. Him and Plante were dangerous every time they were out there.

Gibson on Canada who is a Red Wings pick was solid but didn't stand out. Kleber who is a Sabres pick was more solid and he was on PK1 for the USA plus at the end of overtime when they needed to get to OT they had out both Ziemer and Kleber.

The best players on Canada I thought were Cristal and Iginla. Dickenson was fiesty. Senneke looked tentative.

Hutson was very good but also had a few hiccups. He's like his brother but was he has in size he loses a bit in defensive play in my opinion.

Eiserman was pounding that puck all game with no success until the tying goal which was good to see.

Hagens is going to be first overall in 2025. So good.

We love going to USA Hockey Arena. It's worth heading up every year for this tournament. I didn't see as many NHL GM's this year but the hockey was the best I've seen.

People I spotted:

Jason Botterill (boo!)
Patrick Sharp
Keith Jones
I'm sure there were a ton of big wigs I didn't recognize.
Gibson got traded to Nashville so he wasn't on my radar as much. I thought Parekh looked pretty good for Canada today though. The dude can flat out skate.

I agree this year has been the best hockey at this event. You usually see some sloppy play but I told my buddy during the first game last Sunday everyone looked in mid-season form.

You always know who the scouts are there: they sit in the very top row and always have a black jacket on.

Edit: did you also feel Canada didn't send the best guys out for the shootout?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Gibson got traded to Nashville so he wasn't on my radar as much. I thought Parekh looked pretty good for Canada today though. The dude can flat out skate.

I agree this year has been the best hockey at this event. You usually see some sloppy play but I told my buddy during the first game last Sunday everyone looked in mid-season form.

You always know who the scouts are there: they sit in the very top row and always have a black jacket on.

Edit: did you also feel Canada didn't send the best guys out for the shootout?

I know both countries put out their A team for USA - Canada and the Canucks started with Iginla so I think they did.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sounds like Bjarnason was top dog in net for the Canadians yesterday. Still hoping Ratzlaff gets his shot though when the tournament actually arrives.

Reactions: jamienwalker

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2