WNBA 2024 WNBA Season Thread

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't get this. They are worried she's too popular? They're a niche league with limited exposure and this is their concern? Seems dumb.
They want her to pay her dues, or some shit.

There’s gonna be a great book written about this WNBA season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't get this. They are worried she's too popular? They're a niche league with limited exposure and this is their concern? Seems dumb.
Honestly, from how a lot of the WNBA players have acted/spoken out on CC, I can't imagine that the team dynamics/chemistry would be very good if she was on the team.

But, like you and most say, WNBA players are their own worst enemy. NCAA women's BB is what is fueling the WNBA. CC and others made a name for themselves in college and those fans are following them to the WNBA, yet the veterans are jealous of that.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What a blown opportunity to get global exposure with CC. You want your max salaries to go up in the WNBA? You put her on the team. You’re still going to pummel teams by 30 with her on or off the team. SMH
They wine and complain about not getting charter flights, as well as a % of revenue, but when you run the numbers, Wemby's salary against the NBA revenue is like on par with Clark's against the WNBA revenue. And charter flights in a league that has not turned a profit....

And now the reasons for not taking Clark..... Like they have no clue on how economics works. Think money grows on trees. Allowing egos to get in the way of growing the game.

Even go back to the original Dream Team. Other nations were getting destroyed and there was once talk to limit the age of the US team to 25 and under or something. Other nations said no, we want to raise our game vs the best the US has, so that the best in our nation know what they need to get to, in order to make the NBA in the future. Now 30 years later, how many of the NBA's top 50-100 players are not Americans? WNBA to grow the league (expansion) is going to need more talent than just what the NCAA produces. If Clark can help kickstart that in Europe, so much better for the WNBA.

But, I get this is a US team decision so if they only want to view it as that, so be it.

Last edited:

BMacLeafs

Feb 20, 2022
This makes me so happy! Caitlin Clark does not deserve 2 b in the Olympics & it's great 2 c sum1 finally giving her a dose of reality & accountability. Her comments after geting left off the team make it even better. So entitled!

Sep 19, 2008

UNCASVILLE, Conn. -- The Connecticut Sun trounced the Indiana Fever 89-72 on Monday, at one point leading by as many as 28 points and ultimately leaving Fever coach Christie Sides upset with her team's effort.

"I'm going to start with how you can't, at this level, coach effort," Sides said to begin her postgame news conference at Mohegan Sun Arena. "I felt like we were just trying to ask them to keep playing hard, play hard. You can't start there. You can't play in this league if you have to coach effort. It's just too hard."

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The WNBA numbers are great right now but will level off when the CC express loses its initial glow. As I have mentioned she is a great scorer and really good player but is not that generational talent that will dominate the league for years. Their hyping her like she's the WNBA's Jordan or James when she really is a Steph Curry.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The WNBA numbers are great right now but will level off when the CC express loses its initial glow. As I have mentioned she is a great scorer and really good player but is not that generational talent that will dominate the league for years. Their hyping her like she's the WNBA's Jordan or James when she really is a Steph Curry.
I think saying ‘she really is Steph Curry’ is not the backhand compliment you’re trying to imply. Steph Curry became an A-number-1 star. But it took him - what - 4-5 years to get there? Caitlin is in year 1. She ain’t even gotten to the winning yet.

And she won’t be in the playoffs, so who knows, but I think you’re not realizing the generational identification that is attached to the target audience with Steph. To Zoomers and the like, Steph is Jordan, or LeBron, or Kobe. Audiences have always been drawn to his style of play, and the fact that he’s done his share of winning incumbent of the sport’s top star. So when you say ‘she is really Steph Curry,’ she is. She’s been most attached to that, yes, she’s the top star of the sport.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I think saying ‘she really is Steph Curry’ is not the backhand compliment you’re trying to imply. Steph Curry became an A-number-1 star. But it took him - what - 4-5 years to get there? Caitlin is in year 1. She ain’t even gotten to the winning yet.

And she won’t be in the playoffs, so who knows, but I think you’re not realizing the generational identification that is attached to the target audience with Steph. To Zoomers and the like, Steph is Jordan, or LeBron, or Kobe. Audiences have always been drawn to his style of play, and the fact that he’s done his share of winning incumbent of the sport’s top star. So when you say ‘she is really Steph Curry,’ she is. She’s been most attached to that, yes, she’s the top star of the sport.
My point is that the over the top adoration for CC is just that. Right now Caitlin is more of a media created super star than a great player. She's playing really well in some games and so so in others . Currently she is not an "A number 1 star" on the court but only portrayed as much because she's perceived as the "one". And when I called her a female Steph I was alluding more to what her career might be not what it is right now because she's not that yet.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
My point is that the over the top adoration for CC is just that. Right now Caitlin is more of a media created super star than a great player. She's playing really well in some games and so so in others . Currently she is not an "A number 1 star" on the court but only portrayed as much because she's perceived as the "one". And when I called her a female Steph I was alluding more to what her career might be not what it is right now because she's not that yet.
If she’s drawing record tv ratings on every network she’s on and teams are moving games because they’re getting 4x ticket demand than their building can hold for her games, she is assuredly the league’s #1 star. It doesn’t matter how good she actually is, it’s good enough that people want to see her. It’s their job to keep people interested.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
She's on a bottom feeder like Bedard was drafted into. Don't expect greatness off the hop. The WNBA game is all below the basket, so not going to see the raw athleticism that you got from MJ or LeBron. The NCAA W BB I'm guessing drew bigger TV numbers than the WNBA. Of course, the league and media are going to promote her.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
If she’s drawing record tv ratings on every network she’s on and teams are moving games because they’re getting 4x ticket demand than their building can hold for her games, she is assuredly the league’s #1 star. It doesn’t matter how good she actually is, it’s good enough that people want to see her. It’s their job to keep people interested.
That's been my point all along. She's a very good player that is getting hyped beyond all others because she is new and "different" compared to other WNBA stars. It's all about the $.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
WNBA backed by Caitlin Clark set to lose $50m this season despite growing popularity

WNBA bleeding serious money, even with Clark fever (no pun intended) having taken over the league.

Sounds like they are willing to take the short-term hit while awaiting the new TV contract to be negotiated where they are optimistic it will turn things around.

Even still, record attendance and ratings and still losing big money does not look good optically.

Reactions: John Price

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
WNBA backed by Caitlin Clark set to lose $50m this season despite growing popularity

WNBA bleeding serious money, even with Clark fever (no pun intended) having taken over the league.

Sounds like they are willing to take the short-term hit while awaiting the new TV contract to be negotiated where they are optimistic it will turn things around.

Even still, record attendance and ratings and still losing big money does not look good optically.
New added costs are what? Chartered flights, better hotels, added security? Guess, some deals were locked in already, thus have to wait to see on them when they get re-negotiated.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fever beat Chicago again and move to 5-10. They’re out of the playoffs right now on percentage points.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fever beat Chicago again and move to 5-10. They’re out of the playoffs right now on percentage points.
It’s pretty much 3 or 4 have teams with 3 at 0.500 and 5 that have only won 1/3 of their games or fewer.

And they are expanding the league again…. Are there enough quality players coming into the league to support 2 extra teams?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s pretty much 3 or 4 have teams with 3 at 0.500 and 5 that have only won 1/3 of their games or fewer.

And they are expanding the league again…. Are there enough quality players coming into the league to support 2 extra teams?
They are expanding again, yes. Fans of the league contend there's not enough teams for the talent they have,

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They are expanding again, yes. Fans of the league contend there's not enough teams for the talent they have,
Trying to ratio everything by 2.5 to match the nba’s 30 teams. To have 5/12 teams at 1/3 wins is about 27 wins. Which would mean that’s like the nba having 12 teams with 27 wins or fewer. NBA had 7 teams at under 30 wins this season.

Can’t have that many bad teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad