2024 Who would you have drafted?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
1st round:
5. Ivan Demidov (RW)
21 Michael Hage (C)

3rd round:
70. Adam Jecho (RW)
78. Luca Marrelli (RD)

4th round
102. Raoul Boilard (C)

5th round
130. Colton Roberts (RD)
134. Luke Misa (LW) - (I like the Thorpe pick here though I didn't know of him at the time)

6th round
166. Daniil Ustinkov (LD)

7th round
210. Jakub Fibigir (LD)
224. Tomas Galvas (LD)

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
1st: 5. Ivan Demidov
1st: 21. Liam Greentree
3rd: 70. Miguel Marques
3rd: 78. Aron Kiviharju
4th: 102. Simon Zether
5th: 130. Anthony Romani
5th: 134. Justin Poirier
6th: 166. Kieron Walton
7th: 210. Darels Uljanskis
7th: 224. Daniil Anatsky

Reactions: dcyhabs

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
5. Demidov

21. Hage - I like Hage but Greentree + a 2nd (Eriksson, Battaglia, Bednarik, Massé, Mustard) that is very close...

70. Koivu - Koivu would have been a target in the 4th probably would have gone with someone else here (Spellacy, Mews, Marques, Zellers, Wetsch, Becher, Kikkarainen) but if it is either 70 or not drafting him, I'll take Koivu...

78. Zarubin - Clearly if they pick Koivu the well of sure fire NHLer is drying up so I pick a big russian Goalie with amazing stats if you don't want a goalie than one of Jecho, Gojsic, Träff, Lavoie

102. Boilard - We have already cross the line where most guy won't be a factor, I feel like this is where you pick the best player available but mainly don't over think it, even if it is a NHL long shot the guy that will have the best D+1, should generate the most trade value. Boilard seem to check a lot of boxes Q player with some size, some ability, relatively safe floor, not knowing if poirier or another Q player from my list was available I would have pick Boilard but I would have consider Josepson, Osburn, Moore, He, Mrsic...

130. Caswell - We hare clear past the it doesn't even matter line I don't see the point in trying to pick guy with bottom six upside, that won't generate much buzz D+1 amd will hit the waiver before making the team.

134. Poirier or Romani or Misa - If I had Boilard earlier it might be easier to pass on Poirier and go with Misa or Romani

166. Kol

210. Satan if your going for size... if you go with the top of the list Zetterberg or Galvas

224. Daniel Ustinkov

Overall I still think some of the guy they pick are interessting and I feel that there will be very little impact either way but seem like they are over thinking it, the draft is to generate value, either you pick a player that will play in the NHL or generate some buzz that you will be able to trade, but if the pick isn't a top9 or top4 and you weren't able to trade him there is no value... NJ just traded a 4th for a Kovacevic, a bottom pair RD hitting is prime on a cheap contract, clearly getting someone is very cheap because Kovacevic was a early 3rd rounder himself, the odd of a 4th even playing 82 games in the NHL are probably less than 25%, but now they get a player that is ready to contribute and play 82, So I don't see the point of drafting a guy with limited upside because just trade the pick for the player you need since those type are available risk free.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
1st: 5. Ivan Demidov
1st: 21. Michael Hage (would have considered Basha, Ritchie, Emery and Solberg).
3rd: 70. Henry Mews
3rd: 78. Miguel Marques
4th: 102. Raoul Boilard (would have considered Kiviharju)
5th: 130. Luke Misa
5th: 134. Justin Poirier
6th: 166. Daniil Ustinkov
7th: 210. Tomas Galvas
7th: 224. Alexander Zetterberg

Reactions: NotProkofievian

newdimension

May 18, 2013
My picks:

5. Ivan Demidov
21. Yegor Surin
70. Henry Mews
78. Adam Jecho
102. Raoul Boilard
130. Colton Roberts
134. Anthony Romani
166. Miroslav Satan
210. Tomas Galvas
224. Jack Bodin

• Love
Reactions: KevSkillz4

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
5 buium
21 solberg
70 shuravin
78 viggo gustafsson
102 owen protz
130 wallenius

Kind of a "look at me im different" kind of post.

I would like that Hage loses his temper so we can call him Rage Hage and for Demidov to do something silly so he can officially be Crazy Ivan.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
5. If faced with a choice between Lindstrom and Demidov, it would’ve been a very tough choice, but CBJ took Lindstrom, so it’s moot. Demidov was the obvious BPA pick here.

21. Yeah, I’m gonna say I wouldn’t have traded up anyway because I think it’s significant. Hage is a good pick, but I think there’s a chance he would’ve been there at 26, and if not, I would’ve been ok with Greentree/Chernyshov + one of Battaglia/Masse/Mustard/Fransen/Mews at #57.

70. I’m fine with the Koivu pick.

78. No problem with the Sawyer pick.

102. Mrsic or Boilard.

130. Oskar Vuollet.

134. Misa or Poirier.

166. Timur Kol or Mac Swanson.

210. Humphreys/Satan Jr./Krutov

224. Not an over-ager.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Yeah, let just say that right now....TODAY, they didn't have a good 2nd day. Either I didn't feel the best player by saying at their ranks. But honestly....I never thought they would have kept so many picks. it was proven time and time again, we should have paired a couple of picks to pick ahead too.

That 2nd day to me proved that they drank heavily after the 1st day....:laugh:

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I think we made a mistake for not picking Justin Poirier.
I also think that Greentree + 2nd-round pick would be better than Hage.

Based on the following consensus ranking (average ranking among analysts), Zetterberg is ranked 2 spots above Koivu (#84 vs #86):
2024 Consensus NHL Draft Rankings

Reactions: Mrb1p

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Any of Connelly, Eiserman, Surin, Letourneau, Solberg, Beaudoin would have been acceptable at #21 but I'm happy with Hage.

Demidov was a no brainer at #5 of course

Demidov or Iggy were my targets at 5. Very happy we got Demidov. Wanted Iggy badly too but we can't pass on the BPA narrative with Demidov.

I didn't know much about Hage but as the picks moved from 12+, I started to check into him (few Habs fans mentioned him on these boards). I wanted Eiserman but very happy with Hage. He's could very well turn into a grade A prospect quickly. We will see.

Very happy we got star potential with Demidov and we improved our center depth with Hage.

Is Trocheck a good comparison for Hage?

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Based on the following consensus ranking (average ranking among analysts), Zetterberg is ranked 2 spots above Koivu (#84 vs #86):

I don't think Greentree + 2nd is better than Hage.

Greentree have good tools, but his skating ability, literally is bad.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yeah, not sure why they didn't draft Poirier. Not very tall but man, he's 183 lbs at 5'-8". There is muscle there for sure.

Has to be something we don't know. Skating or some other problem the scouts had on their minds. Or it's possible our mandate was to draft guys with size/skating/skill.

You can clearly see the Habs target skater types with size/skill. It's clear as day with me anyways.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I don't mind Zetterberg and Koivu but I absolutely agree with the two first points.

Love Hage and I'm happy we have him but the difference between him and Vanacker, Basha, Greentree and more isn't Stiga, Sallin-Walinius, Battaglia, Mustard, etc.

Also it's a travesty they didn't at least trade a 4th for Poirier or Boilard. Like at least make an effort. Thorpe or Becnahgajagaa ... come on.

I'll say it again though, beyond happy to have Hage, don't get me wrong he's fantastic.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Ivan Demidov was always my #1 wishlisht at 5, I'm really surprised that he was been still there. He is the #2 best player in this draft, maybe in a re-draft one day, the best. I'm really high on him. This kid have everything, great mentality, great attitude, want to make the difference like Slafkovsky.

Andrew Basha and Yegor Surin have been my target with Michael Hage for the 21. So I'm very happy with Michael Hage. Great production in USHL. We are going to have a better indication of his potential at NCAA level with Michigan. But I really believe that he is going to thrive in that league.

The rest, I'm really fine with that. Koivu have been also one of my target, not just because he is the son of Saku, but he seems have good tools.

I'm really intriguing by Sawyer, Protz and Thorpe pick. Looks all having great tools to become NHL'er players.

Habs have made a really really good draft again. (Potentially).

Reactions: bcv

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
5th overall - Ivan Demidov
21st overall - Michael Hage
70th overall - Tarin Smith
78th overall - Justin Poirier
102nd overall - Aaron Kiviharju
130th overall - Luke Misa
134th overall - Ryerson Leenders
166th overall - Christian Humphreys
210th overall - Tuomas Suoniemi
224th overall - Daniil Ustinkov
This would have been a awesome draft
Althought i donT' hate Thorpe at #130

knowing Chernyshov was available towards the end of the first round i would of do anything to get him.
Trade back CGY first + prospect like Tuch for #28 and draft him

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The pick that were made aren’t bad and there might surprise but ultimately there probably aren’t having any impact in the NHL even if the outperform very low expectations it kinda feel like instead of using all the brain power to make the best pick they are using it to justify the pick that were made… Just way to many overager for me I can understand picking a Russian or NCAA player to keep there right a bit longer but why gamble on a 19yo which you will be able to sign when you could pick a 17yo

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

Also the 57th pick was closer to 3rd round value than 2nd. There was a pretty big fall off around 45 (minus a few outliers who were passed on a bit too long like Artamonov, Pulkkinen and Masse).

No issues with trading that pick, but it would have been nice to trade some of our other assets to get back in to to 30-40 range to get one of those prized RHD. That Dvorak trade really set us back from having an additional Bystedt/Kulich/Lambert + Kleber/Brunicke to the pool.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Mikah

Feb 19, 2018
Considering that Connelly and Eiserman slipped at 19 and 20, I would have tried to package again with the 21st to advance a couple of ranks. Honestly, something like 21st + 78th + Harris for #19, and get Connelly.

Same thing for the 2nd round, seeing as Basha slipped to 41. I would have tried to find a partner to get something between 33 and 40 and pick him up. Maybe something like the 70th + Struble? Heck I would have blown the rest of the draft to get him...

I don't know if that was at all possible, but I thought Connelly or Eiserman were a big step up from Hage, and Basha was at least equal to Hage. Seeing him go at 41 was sad...

Not picking Poirier at 130 or 134 is just stupid. Considering none of these guys will play a single game in the NHL, at least some local talent in Laval would have been nice, and who knows...

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Considering that Connelly and Eiserman slipped at 19 and 20, I would have tried to package again with the 21st to advance a couple of ranks. Honestly, something like 21st + 78th + Harris for #19, and get Connelly.

Same thing for the 2nd round, seeing as Basha slipped to 41. I would have tried to find a partner to get something between 33 and 40 and pick him up. Maybe something like the 70th + Struble? Heck I would have blown the rest of the draft to get him...

I don't know if that was at all possible, but I thought Connelly or Eiserman were a big step up from Hage, and Basha was at least equal to Hage. Seeing him go at 41 was sad...

Not picking Poirier at 130 or 134 is just stupid. Considering none of these guys will play a single game in the NHL, at least some local talent in Laval would have been nice, and who knows...
I agree that we should have moved up 1 spot to take Eiserman, that would have been a real grand slam. Disagree with Connelly as the guy just screams headcase.

But.. after doing a lot more research on Hage, i think he may very well be the better player of the 3.. consider the following: in midget AAA he was hands down the best player (all round) in the GTA and was considered a top prospect with Cellibrini... he missed almost a year with a shoulder injury, and then dealt a massive blow when his father passed away by freak accident. After he "finally" got his bearings together (living away from his family) around January this year he became a 2ppg scoring beast in the USHL.

If anything, its possible without the above derailment he may have been a top 5..

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad