OT: 2024 Weather Thread

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
IMG_5546.jpeg

IMG_5547.jpeg

This hurts. This is Milligan Cabin which is located on the far right of the resort off the 1st tee. I stayed in this cabin with my mom when I took her here on her last ever holiday before she had to go into the memory center later that year back in 2021.

Last June our youngest son got married at JPL and their reception was the large building just to the left of the Milligan Cabin which also appears to be on fire.

Have taken our family here for years on Family Day, for anniversaries, taken our managers here many times for company outings, brought our oldest son and his wife who live overseas here and were planning on going with them back here and with our granddaughter next summer.

I hope the majority of the resort is spared but it looks like the eastern edge of the resort got hit pretty hard. :(

I can’t believe the photos coming from Jasper tonight. And I can’t believe that additional help is coming only just now. It’s a bit late I think.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
There’s not much they can do at this point to save Jasper. I think a this point the efforts will mostly be to prevent it from growing too far past. Just an awful awful fire.

The Province requested assistance this morning so I think it’s on the way. I don’t think they can do anything usually without the province requesting aid but I wonder if that’s different cause it’s a National Park?

Without getting too political....isn't it amazing THESE are the things where they mtofb.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Every level of government involved has shamefully failed the people of Canada by being unable to protect the true gem of the Rockies. Like others have said, it was one of my favourite places in this country

Sad day, and real change needs to come for real wildfire protection like controlled burns and selective logging. Clearly, there is not enough of this as it could have prevented this tragedy

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Just heartbreaking. Like many of you, I have countless memories of camping and skiing trips to Jasper, so many awesome hikes, Family Day weekends at JPL, the list goes on and on. Thoughts and prayers are with all those evacuated, and with the firefighters who are bravely doing their best to save what they can.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Waking up to these photos and news leaves me with so much sad emotion.

Like so many I’ve spent time in Jasper as a child with my parents, brother and then with my own children and wife. I also had a connection with the community through my career work. It’s always been a true jewel and special place in the world.

Having been in and involved with Ft Mac during and after the fires and subsequent rebuild, all that gives me solace is knowing that the resiliency of humankind will mean that it rises up again. It will never be the same though.

Thoughts today are with all Jasper residents.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
Having nearly lost Waterton in the Kenow fire of '17, it's disheartening to see that more wasn't done to protect Jasper.

I feel so gutted.
Losing historic landmarks is truly devastating. They managed to save The Prince of Wales. They might not be able to save the Jasper Park Lodge though. :(

I hate getting political on this board but to think that no help was sent to the town by the geniuses in The House of Commons until Wednesday makes me think this catastrophe was probably preventable.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
100%!!! Does the province actually have to request assistance to Federal Government for help? It's a National Park and you would think our Federal Government would send any kind of help days before this happened!
You would have thought our Provincial Government, who apparently has the responsibility of fighting these forest fires, would have requested assistance from the Feds far before the fire hits the townsite.
But I guess not.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Every level of government involved has shamefully failed the people of Canada by being unable to protect the true gem of the Rockies. Like others have said, it was one of my favourite places in this country

Sad day, and real change needs to come for real wildfire protection like controlled burns and selective logging. Clearly, there is not enough of this as it could have prevented this tragedy

This is the worst part about it. One side props this up as the reason the carbon tax is so necessary (carbon tax will not prevent one single fire) while the other side shrugs their shoulders and says "ah it's all arson, nothing you can do."

For f*** sakes these people. It's very clearly an annual problem that causes billions in damages, not to mention the impact on people's health and well being, but instead they use it as a wedge to either prop up climate change policy or dismiss it.

A national forest management and fire response strategy needs to be implemented, but instead we're going to pretend that the carbon tax is the answer, or conversely pretend that nothing can be done because it's arson. f***ing ridiculous.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is the worst part about it. One side props this up as the reason the carbon tax is so necessary (carbon tax will not prevent one single fire) while the other side shrugs their shoulders and says "ah it's all arson, nothing you can do."

For f*** sakes these people. It's very clearly an annual problem that causes billions in damages, not to mention the impact on people's health and well being, but instead they use it as a wedge to either prop up climate change policy or dismiss it.

A national forest management and fire response strategy needs to be implemented, but instead we're going to pretend that the carbon tax is the answer, or conversely pretend that nothing can be done because it's arson. f***ing ridiculous.
We need to get back to governments taking care of the things they’re actually responsible for and nothing more. All 3 levels of government are failing spectacularly at this. So badly in fact that it’s hard to imagine it ever getting back on track.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Yup, “non political” (for all aside from perhaps Green Party who would likely feel that we should never intervene) solutions such as controlled burns and selective logging could have prevented this

alanschu

Aug 12, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
This is seriously gutting news. I believe most everyone was able to get out (hopefully all!?) which is important, but man I loved Jasper so much.

Grateful for meeting my wife, who in me showing her around encouraged me to rediscover it (she is from Texas) and we basically had been going at least once a year the past several years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad