OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Which is why we need to keep all our draft picks.
It sounds smart on its face. But look at the state of 3rd round picks in the league. Going back 5 years to 2019: (data from Pro Football Reference)
(Not including '23 and '24 because they're all still "potentially somebody" 6 weeks into their 1st or second season.)

2019: 10 of 38 3rd rounders have been primary starters at their positions since their first or second year; 1 has been named a 1st Team AP; 3 others have made 1 PB (incl. TML)

2020: 7 of 42 3rds have been primary starters since first or second year; 1 1st Team APs; 3 Pro Bowlers (D. Duvernay has the AP and 2 PBs -- as a KR)

2021: 11 of 41 match the 1st/2nd starter criteria; 0 APs; 0 PBs

2022: 14 of 41 meet the starter criteria; 1 AP (Marcus Jones, NE CB); 0 PBs

Net-net: at best 1 in 3 third rounders will become primary starters at their position (though not necessarily for the team that drafted them.) 33% chance. I won't even say "Higgins," (OK, that didn't count), but one or even 2 3rds for a young player who has already demonstrated he can produce in the league (include a CB if you like, if there's one that can be found in trade at that price) is, to me, worth that price.

I also looked into teams that are generally thought to have drafted well recently in that same timeframe. Here's what their 3rds look like:

BAL:
2019: WR Miles Boykin (38 career receptions, now w/ PIT); DE Jaylon Ferguson (out of the league)
2020: DT Nnamdi Madubuike (4th year starter, 1 PB); WR Devin Duvernay (1 AP, 2 PB, all as KR -- 95 career recep's, now w/ JAX); LB Malik Henderson (27 career starts, 133 career tackles); OL Tyre Phillips (13 starts in 2 years w/ BAL, 2 yeas w/ NYG, now out pending injury recovery)
2021: OL Ben Cleveland (7 career starts, lots of injuries, 1 ****ing blocked kick...); CB Brandon Stephens (2nd year as primary starter)
2022: DT Travis Jones (1st year as primary starter)

Of 9 picks, 3 are primary starters (one in his first year as such), 2 really good players -- though only one is still with the team -- and 2 guys that aren't in the league within 5 years of being drafted.

KC:
2019: DT Khalen Saunders (4 year back-up for KC, 1 year starter for NO)
2020: OT Lucas Niang (career back-up, cut this summer, on KC practice squad)
2021: No pick
2022: LB Leo Chenal (part-time starter, reasonably productive -- I wanted him in his draft year)

3 picks, 1 is a useful contributor (33% -- like the 3 of 9 for BAL, huh.)

SF: (blood relative now...)
2019: WR Jalen Hurd (never played a down in the NFL)
2020: No pick
2021: RB Trey Sermon (9 appearances in rookie year, then 1 year w/ PHI, now in 2nd year w/ IND); DB Ambry Thomas (11 career starts; currently on IR)
2022: RB Tyrion Davis-Price (40 career carries for KC, now on PHI practice squad); WR Danny Gray (1 career reception for KC, now also on PHI PS)

5 picks, 1 may be a useful player.

After this exercise, I'm more in favor of using 3rds in a trade scenario like described above than I was before. Hell yes to a proven starter for one or 2 picks that are statistically unlikely to yield a starter, or even a useful back-up. Especially when the starter can play today and won't need 1 or 2 or more years of JD's rookie contract that a 3rd would likely need even if they were the lucky strike.

Now, excuse me, I need to go to bed. (And when I wake up tomorrow, to get a life.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad