OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
We absolutely should not have lol. Maybe JD works out, maybe he doesn't. Maybe Maye or McCarthy or Nix will end up being the better QB. When you need a franchise QB and you are picking that high in the draft, you need to take a QB every single time.
No, you actually don't. You're allowed to pick whoever you want.

qc14

Jul 1, 2024
In a QB-driven league when you don't have a good QB you need to be laser-focused on acquiring a good QB above anything else. Those taken in the top 2, let alone the first round, are not guaranteed to succeed. They have a much higher hit rate though then every other method whether it be FA (Kirk reunion?), trade (Fields? Pickett?), or a later round pick (stick with Howell?).

We already made this mistake once taking Young over Herbert and Tua. In that case at least Young was widely considered one of the best drafted prospects of not just his class but the entire decade and Herbert and Tua were worse prospects coming out of college than JD and Maye.

Trading down and taking Alt could have been a "tactical" win depending on what the return looked like but would've been a massive strategic mistake. Taking him at 2 would've been both and a legit fireable offense

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ron is that you!? ;)

Seriously though, you have to take your QB when you have the chance….if the line investment comes next year, so be it.

I just wish we had a few more weapons to surround him with right now.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
f***ed my opponent over good and plenty. Especially since I had jordan mason sitting on my bench already
Yahoo support was getting lit up this morning. No way to add Mason and sub him in, at least on my team/roster.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I would have picked an OL instead of Forbes
This is correct in theory, but there was only one OL picked in the first round after Forbes was drafted. Anton Harrison was the next OL drafted, at 27 overall. There were a few decent OG's in the 2nd round. There were no OTs drafted in the 2nd round. It was a pretty weak year for OL overall.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree with everything you're saying, but knowing who he is doesn't make them any safer. They can argue all day about who escalated, but the cops have every right to protect themselves. If you're belligerent and they can't see your hands, that's a problem. The judge would really have to be a Fins fan to see any wiggle room there.

The cops don't do themselves any favors by arguing with him. Better to keep it professional for sure. They'll get a talking-to for the jawing a couple of them did, but if it amounts to more than that it'll be due to NFL ass-kissing. The cops were in the right. Comply and the whole thing takes 10 minutes if you don't have a warrant. Decent chance the cops are fans. Being as asshole right off the bat just puts everyone on the defensive.
The cops can be "in the right" without being violent, and they were violent and clearly angry and insulted.

There is no timeline that you can get me to believe they thought Hill was going to shoot them to avoid a speeding ticket while heading to the football game. They KNEW they weren't in any danger, they just didn't like being disrespected.

Telling a cop to not touch your car isn't a violation of the law. When TH rolled up his window and said "do whatever you need to do just give me the ticket I need to get to the game" or whatever, they could've done exactly that...just wrote the ticket. What's wrong with that?

Ever had an irate, asshole customer acting like that, and you decided to just get the shit over with instead of starting a fight with him regardless of who's right or has technical authority in the situation?

Ego vs ego. There was no need to make a point of yelling and cursing at TH about how he will do whatever you say when you say it. That's just trying to assert authority, not enforce the law. The window thing was the figurative foot in the door that gave the cop an excuse to flex.

Reactions: Kazer and bacchist

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
This is correct in theory, but there was only one OL picked in the first round after Forbes was drafted. Anton Harrison was the next OL drafted, at 27 overall. There were a few decent OG's in the 2nd round. There were no OTs drafted in the 2nd round. It was a pretty weak year for OL overall.
Are you saying you wouldn't take Anton Harrison for Forbes straight up? That's crazy talk.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Are you saying you wouldn't take Anton Harrison for Forbes straight up? That's crazy talk.

I would, easily. But I don't trust that Ron would have picked Harrison out of a police lineup if he was wearing his helmet.

I'm just saying, no one on this board was clamoring for Anton Harrison at the time, in the way that many folks here were after this or that OL in this years draft..

Reactions: ynotcaps

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The part of the police report that describes Hill being "re-directed to the ground" is fine example of euphemisms for law enforcement-initiated escalations. It just feels like the whole thing is avoidable if there was something the officer could do other than to immediately activate "dominance display" mode at the first little sign of anything other than 100% submission.

The speed with which that officer was suspended makes me wonder if he isn't "That Guy" that nobody wants to take stops and calls with because he can turn any situation into a fight.

Reactions: g00n

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I would, easily. But I don't trust that Ron would have picked Harrison out of a police lineup if he was wearing his helmet.

I'm just saying, no one on this board was clamoring for Anton Harrison at the time, in the way that many folks here were after this or that OL in this years draft..
I might be wrong, but at least I'm consistent :sarcasm:

Screenshot 2024-09-10 135330.png

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I mean, sure. But if you don't already have your franchise QB then taking anything but that is a mistake.
Odds go way down that you end up with a franchise QB if you can't protect them.

Look at how we threw Daniels into the meat grinder without a helmet in garbage time when the game was already lost the other day. He has all the tools to be that guy, but we're setting him up for failure.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Odds go way down that you end up with a franchise QB if you can't protect them.

Look at how we threw Daniels into the meat grinder without a helmet in garbage time when the game was already lost the other day. He has all the tools to be that guy, but we're setting him up for failure.

What OL was available this year that you'd have taken over JD? That would need to be a guy who is Trent Williams level right out the gate. Alt had a lights-out first game, but Alt over JD? The guy's theoretical ceiling is such that I don't know how you don't roll the dice on that.

Reactions: ynotcaps and qc14

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
What OL was available this year that you'd have taken over JD? That would need to be a guy who is Trent Williams level right out the gate. Alt had a lights-out first game, but Alt over JD? The guy's theoretical ceiling is such that I don't know how you don't roll the dice on that.
Screenshot 2024-09-10 143055.png

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
We need to go a year or two without cops killing unarmed black people before "they can't see your hands" is something I consider a valid reason for escalating the situation and becoming violent. It doesn't even make sense. If they were in danger, the last thing they should do is open the door, reach in, and try to pull him out of the car. Their own actions show they had no reason to fear for their safety. They just got big mad because he wasn't treating them with the respect they clearly didn't deserve in the first place.
Sweet, politics…. :rolleyes:

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
I mean, let's say that JD hits his maximum ceiling and becomes some Lamar/Rodgers type of scrambling thrower.

You taking Trent Williams or Lamar/Rodgers?
The point I've been making is that without massive improvement to our offensive line, the likelihood of any quarterback reaching their ceiling greatly diminishes. It's more likely that a rookie quarterback's development will be hampered with this offensive line, or their career will be plagued with injuries if it doesn't end prematurely.

So, I mean, sure... if we want to completely ignore the premise of my argument and assume that by some miracle a rookie QB will overcome our offensive line and emerge as an all time great, I'll take the miracle.

Everything I know about football says that's a fantasy, though. More than happy to be proven wrong, of course. I'm rooting for JD as hard as anyone.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

There have been multiple drafts recently where we took the wrong guy and the wrong position. Davis, Young, Dotson, Forbes, all stupid picks where we should have gone elsewhere. But not this year, not with JD in our lap. Sure, building the OL first helps the QB succeed, but we have three new starters on the OL as it is. JD was by far the best pick at 2 overall, and passing on him would have been a mistake. We will focus on the OL and WR next year. We'll be drafting top 5 again most likely.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
That's not "politics".
It is and you know it. As soon as ‘cops killing unarmed BLACK people’ comes up it becomes about politics. And then someone brings up actual data, Roland Fryer’s analysis, and around and around we go.

It always works out the same way around here but the powers that be rarely decide to nip it in the bud when it starts. Who could possibly have a different opinion than you do about something like this? It’s inconceivable I’m sure…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad