OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Deebo was basically out wks 4-8 last year. BA still got plenty of targets those weeks but the 9ers really spread the ball around in general. CMC allows them to do that. Deebo was way down from 2022.
‘22 DBS only had 5 more targets than ‘23….’21 was his career year, which appears to be an aberration.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
‘22 DBS only had 5 more targets than ‘23….’21 was his career year, which appears to be an aberration.
I must've fat fingered the year. Either way, his drop off made it possible for Aiyuk to take more targets. Higbee went from 108 to 70. And CMC opens things up with the run. His targets went down a lot, too.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
GMAP has seen success as a franchise (Niners, in particular), by collecting “stars” all over the field.

So it wouldn’t shock me to see him do that, with ones that are still young. Aiyuk fits that mold (and he KNOWS him), so I could easily see the fit.

That said, I cannot see GMAP giving away any vaulted draft capital. Like a 1st (or even a 2nd) next year. The old “3rd and 5th” w perhaps a player added, would be enough for me.

You know, the reverse Trent Williams treatment. Otherwise, let someone else pay the acquisition cost as well as the contractual one.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
GMAP has seen success as a franchise (Niners, in particular), by collecting “stars” all over the field.

So it wouldn’t shock me to see him do that, with ones that are still young. Aiyuk fits that mold (and he KNOWS him), so I could easily see the fit.

That said, I cannot see GMAP giving away any vaulted draft capital. Like a 1st (or even a 2nd) next year. The old “3rd and 5th” w perhaps a player added, would be enough for me.

You know, the reverse Trent Williams treatment. Otherwise, let someone else pay the acquisition cost as well as the contractual one.
Wish I could like this post twice - if you were acquiring Aiyuk on a great contract he would definitely be worth a 2nd, maybe even a 1st.

But if you're going to be giving up that capital AND paying him 25-30 mil a year? Yeah, you can either take a 3rd/5th type offer or we will just wait and sign him in free agency.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Cool deep-ish dive on how the team approached the draft, how they evaluate talent and intangibles. Obviously it's a shine for all the picks, but especially reinforced my excitement on Sainristil, and echoed the recent love on Magee.

Gave me goosebumps on having a professional organization for the first time in decades!

quoting this because this article was a good read, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I'd bet multiple teams are thinking what we're thinking. He's worth $25-$27M and a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick +, and not much higher than that. Not too far from what the 49rs are offering him.
Skipping camps and practices to go on tictok live with our QB is a bad look for a WR wanting to reset the market for #2s. He just feels like a WR that will mail it in before the ink drys on his contract and never comes close to producing again.

Reactions: kicksavedave

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Skipping camps and practices to go on tictok live with our QB is a bad look for a WR wanting to reset the market for #2s. He just feels like a WR that will mail it in before the ink drys on his contract and never comes close to producing again.
All holdouts aren’t bums and malcontents…..that’s an easy mindset to just not like the guy, and not truly look at the talent….

Reactions: RedRocking

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
These guys are one play away from a career or life changing (or ending) injury. They have a very short window to maximize their earning potential. Objectively, I have no issues with guys wanting to be selfish and take care of #1 because this is a business and teams will cut them without thinking twice the second they think there’s a better alternative but as a fan, yes, I agree that I’d like to avoid giving money to fat cats who will mail it in.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
All holdouts aren’t bums and malcontents…..that’s an easy mindset to just not like the guy, and not truly look at the talent….
I hate all the me me me stuff that some NFL players do while whining about contracts, but I also get it. There is no sport with a money-making window as small as the NFL, where one hit can end your career and there are no guaranteed contracts. So yeah, if this is the NBA/NHL/MLB - calm down.

But in football? I get it (even if I hate it).

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am annoyed at players not honoring their contracts.

What top tier players (the only ones to seem to ever hold out) have ruined their financial career, by not holding out? Lets pick a name out of a hat. How about Brandon Aiyuk. Career earnings thus far of 12.5M. If he reports this year, he pockets 14.1M. Shows up to work he has 26M at age 26. What players may need more than sitting out, is sound financial advice. Ill help them. Don't buy a mansion everywhere they like to travel, when home prices are at a record high.

Life seems as dangerous on the streets of our beloved country as on the grid iron. At least there aren't guns in the trenches.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
How about Brandon Aiyuk. Career earnings thus far of 12.5M. If he reports this year, he pockets 14.1M. Shows up to work he has 26M at age 26.

He lives in California. So if he made $26 million and you figure in his agent and California taxes, he would have about seven hundred bucks left.

Honestly though, these guys get less than half of what they make and the vast majority of them live like they're making Mayweather money every time they suit up. This money has to last them the rest of their lives.

I don't have an issue with NFL players doing the typical shenanigans, so long as it doesn't go overboard. Their contracts bind them in big ways, but the organization can basically tear it up whenever they want. That's pretty f***ed up.

There are some issues with the NHL's fully-guaranteed contracts, but their cap and contract system is far superior to pretty much anything else out there.

Get yours, Aiyuk. Wherever that may take you...

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

think the survey was done before the start of last season

Treatment of Families
F- (31st)

Food/Cafeteria
D+ (27th)

Nutritionist/Dietician
B- (21st)

Locker Room
F- (32nd)

Training Room
F- (32nd)

Training Staff
F (31st)

Weight Room
C (25th)

Strength Coaches
A (5th)

Team Travel
F (31st)

Head Coach
C (31st)

Ownership
B (18th)

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
From what I read it was another car that cause them to go off the road.
horrific….314am……stay home….just stay home….driver and 2 passengers in other vehicle unharmed….

Police said Hazel was driving a Dodge Charger with Jackson in the passenger seat when their car was struck by an Infiniti Q50 attempting to change lanes at a high speed. The Charger left the road and struck multiple tree stumps.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
From what I read it was another car that cause them to go off the road.
What a disaster. I presume airbags aren't as effective on those 2nd and 3rd impacts... once the crumple zones crumble. I have seen accidents drivers door open and the driver unable to exit - wrestling with the airbags all before emergency services arrive. Disaster if there is ever a fire...

I think its wise to keep a knife secured near the driver. I say secured because its going flying on impact. Hell even in your "glove" box its going to be difficult to get to with an airbag stuck to your face. You wont be able to see at all so its probably a good idea to practice fishing for it.

Here today gone tomorrow you never know in life. RIP.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe JD needs to distance himself from BA who is being a drama queen while trying to use him as leverage. BA could also act like an adult and honor his contract. Mr. T would say he's acting like damned fool.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not like it’s nuclear secrets. Big deal.

If BA wants to come, be willing to sign a deal under market to show us you have some skin in the game, otherwise, I might pull JD aside and tell him “enough already, pass it on”.

Reactions: max21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad