OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Aijuk can stay out of our QBs ear. Its like hes trying to parlay his friendship with JD into a 30mill a year contract with Washington.
Was thinking just this. I’m sure they’re homies but it feels like Aiyuk is trying to leverage JD against San Francisco. I also don’t like the idea of paying him more than Terry given everything Terry has done for the franchise. Feels like it would send the wrong message.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have a talent like Aiyuk but this has the potential to blow up in a few different ways.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Was thinking just this. I’m sure they’re homies but it feels like Aiyuk is trying to leverage JD against San Francisco. I also don’t like the idea of paying him more than Terry given everything Terry has done for the franchise. Feels like it would send the wrong message.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have a talent like Aiyuk but this has the potential to blow up in a few different ways.
I’m ok paying him more than TMcC17. As going rates go up. BUT, I don’t want to pay more than 25-27m annually. Just make it a large enough guarantee and the rest would take care of itself.

Offer the Niners a 3rd (same as we got for Chase) and it’ll be higher than their comp pick when they lose him to FA

Last edited:
Reactions: ynotcaps

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Give them Dotson and a 2nd. Aiyuk terry and mccaffrey would be filthy

Can’t forget ekeler out of the backfield too this team could have some real weapons for once

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n and max21

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Give them Dotson and a 2nd. Aiyuk terry and mccaffrey would be filthy

Can’t forget ekeler out of the backfield too this team could have some real weapons for once.

There are seemingly a lot of WR’s in the market these days. Even now (Tee Higgins, Aiyuk, his teammate Deebo, Cooper, and another slew just got dealt).

Don’t overpay. He’s not worth a first. Nor a second. Not a third.

Dotson was a first and had a pretty great rookie year. Him alone should be enough. I’d add a 5th, maybe.

He sucked last year — like pretty much everyone else — and here we are.

But Aiyuk wants coin, he’s late to the party, and he’s a Diva. He will be happy in DC. For at least a few days 🥴🥴🙏🏽🙏🏽😂😂

Reactions: Neil Racki

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Dotson and a 2nd .... for the privilege of paying him 25m per?

I hope we stay the course and wait until next year to go after big names

They've said they want to build through the draft. Now isn't the time to be reaching for overpaid WRs. We're not one player away from anything and we owe Dotson a year with real coaches to see if he can play. Ayiuk would have been a classic Snyder/Rivera move. I hope this FO remains much more cautious.

In other words, I agree with you. Stay the course. We're finally doing things the right way.

Reactions: Neil Racki

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
“Classic Snyder move” would be to overpay for a guy who eats himself to death….

BA is a damn good player…..not even in the same realm as a “Snyder move”, but I don’t want to pay him $30 mil either…

Reactions: ynotcaps

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
“Classic Snyder move” would be to overpay for a guy who eats himself to death….

BA is a damn good player…..not even in the same realm as a “Snyder move”, but I don’t want to pay him $30 mil either…
He is a damn good WR. But he's going to be asking for more than he's worth to us. He's actually most valuable to SF, because they are in direct contention for a SB and will suffer a downgrade if they move him. We're not in that same boat. The Snyder move is to sign players thinking we are one stud WR from anything. This FO has shown the proper patience in building a roster the right way. Now isn't the time to change course.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He is a damn good WR. But he's going to be asking for more than he's worth to us. He's actually most valuable to SF, because they are in direct contention for a SB and will suffer a downgrade if they move him. We're not in that same boat. The Snyder move is to sign players thinking we are one stud WR from anything. This FO has shown the proper patience in building a roster the right way. Now isn't the time to change course.
You give Snyder way too much credit….hell I bet he never signed a single guy thinking they were “one player away”….he just liked shiny new toys.

but we agree that BA is too expensive….

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Dotson and a 2nd .... for the privilege of paying him 25m per?

I hope we stay the course and wait until next year to go after big names
Big time players garner big time money, that’s how it’s always been. He managed 1300 yards in an offense with cmc deebo and kittle hogging targets. He also has rapport with Daniels, I don’t see what’s not to like

The minute anyone mentions a hefty contract everyone always gets so snake bitten. This dude is 26 just hitting his prime, not nearing the end of his career. We not be one player away from a Super Bowl but he damn sure gets us closer

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Big time players garner big time money, that’s how it’s always been. He managed 1300 yards in an offense with cmc deebo and kittle hogging targets. He also has rapport with Daniels, I don’t see what’s not to like

The minute anyone mentions a hefty contract everyone always gets so snake bitten. This dude is 26 just hitting his prime, not nearing the end of his career. We not be one player away from a Super Bowl but he damn sure gets us closer
don't get me wrong....I wouldn't hate it, at least until he signed his contract probably lol.....but overall, I'm all for giving JD MORE legit weapons. Just feels like they could do a lot more with that 25-30 mil a year right now...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I like Aiyuk but iirc Kittle was not himself last year and Deebo is a perpetual injury casualty, so Aiyuk would often be the main aerial target for a team that was forcing defenses to deal with CMC.

It feels like a potential buy-high overpay situation.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I like Aiyuk but iirc Kittle was not himself last year and Deebo is a perpetual injury casualty, so Aiyuk would often be the main aerial target for a team that was forcing defenses to deal with CMC.

It feels like a potential buy-high overpay situation.
I just looked....DBS and BA both were down a little from the previous year's target totals. BA with 105 (about 30th in the NFL), DBS 89 in '23. Less than 1 target a week difference.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
An attempt at a somewhat detached view of the BA thing:

We've been conditioned by a quarter century of literally criminal mismanagement to view every transaction (or potential transaction) through the cynical lens of "how is this move going to blow up in our faces?" We've seen great signs from the new regime, but it's in its infancy and it's going to take some time for us to learn to trust again.

On its face, I completely agree with those who don't want to throw a big contract at BA. He's a good player with high skill in his prime, but he hasn't demonstrated that he's worthy of a contract that is not just at the top of an inflated positional market, but also completely out of whack with the rest of our team.

But, as many said throughout the draft process, this is a new group with actual credentials and a considered plan for the direction of the franchise. I think what they've shown so far -- targeted acquisitions with low cost, in terms of dollars, years and assets exchanged, no headline-grabbing swings -- indicates it's unlikely they try to make this move.

But, if they do, I'll be far more open-minded than I would have been if we were still under Mr. Shit-Weasel. The fact that AP has as good a sense of anyone as to Aiyuk's true potential to help this team is a part of it, but it's also due to the fact that there's nothing about this group that suggests it would be a knee-jerk reaction or a splash for the sake of making a splash.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I just looked....DBS and BA both were down a little from the previous year's target totals. BA with 105 (about 30th in the NFL), DBS 89 in '23. Less than 1 target a week difference.

Deebo was basically out wks 4-8 last year. BA still got plenty of targets those weeks but the 9ers really spread the ball around in general. CMC allows them to do that. Deebo was way down from 2022.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad