OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Yikes! Things were already weird, and uncertain in the new NIL/portal era. This will just accelerate the mess that is college sports. I think we’ll end up with 2 super conferences, and a players union eventually.

I can sympathize with the sentiment that we are losing the “magic” of amateur kids just playing for the love of their school/region.

But, it’s a billion dollar business and the only ones who weren’t making money were the kids risking life and limb on the field. So, get these kids some contracts!

If they don't want this to cause a gravitational collapse of the entire college football system, they should implement a salary cap to allow the handful of non elite (football) schools to compete. Without competition, no one will bother watching anymore and the house of cards will fall. Every major pro US sport has a form of a salary cap now.

If the top 6-8 traditional football programs can just buy all the best players, the other 150 school will just fall by the wayside.

Sources said the parties also have agreed to a revenue-sharing plan allowing each school to share up to roughly $20 million per year with its athletes.
Not sure if this is what I was referring to or not. If its just part of the settlement or a permanent cap on spending?

Reactions: RedRocking

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
If they don't want this to cause a gravitational collapse of the entire college football system, they should implement a salary cap to allow the handful of non elite (football) schools to compete. Without competition, no one will bother watching anymore and the house of cards will fall. Every major pro US sport has a form of a salary cap now.

If the top 6-8 traditional football programs can just buy all the best players, the other 150 school will just fall by the wayside.

Not sure if this is what I was referring to or not. If its just part of the settlement or a permanent cap on spending?
It’s not permanent necessarily, it’s just part of this 10 year proposed settlement. But I guess it could begin a framework. It also remains to be seen how each school will distribute that share amongst all of its sports (and there are potential Title IX concerns).

I agree that having some kind of cap would be great. But there’s a long legal web to untangle as this moves forward. The NCAA is trying to get out of the other antitrust suits by settling this one, while signaling to Congress that they need/deserve an antitrust exemption. Plus, kids might try to opt out of this settlement and take their chances with other suits. It’s a mess.

Also, the NCAA’s portion (~40%) is being subsidized by the non-Power 5 conferences. So they’re not happy about that.

I would love some competitive balance in college football. It would be nice for the rest of the country to get in on the action, rather than competition centered mostly around the South/Midwest. But, we’re still a long way from anything like a cap, and NIL money will always come from schools with the richest boosters. This is just step 1 of the NCAA trying to wrest control back from those boosters.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If the allegations are credible, what's the point of keeping him?
Have we seen a single report about the credibility of the allegations or the people making them? Not saying they're not but holy crap now days anybody can accuse a professional athlete of anything and they're immediately thrown to the wolves without due process because the teams would rather not deal with the bad press. Kind of a shame.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Have we seen a single report about the credibility of the allegations or the people making them? Not saying they're not but holy crap now days anybody can accuse a professional athlete of anything and they're immediately thrown to the wolves without due process because the teams would rather not deal with the bad press. Kind of a shame.
Due process is for the legal system, not mid kickers. :laugh:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The things that happens on those long team rides. Bus/Train/Plane. A roster of 50+ alpha men all in the same small space.
What I mean is, why are they just going for a civil trial? If you were sexually assaulted wouldn't you ask for a criminal trial? Of course I know nothing about what happened so just odd to me

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
gone are the days of innocent until proven guilty it appears
Innocent until proven guilty is a legal concept that applies in the court of law regarding criminal charges. It's not an employment concept that applies to public opinion. The accusations claim the incidents took place on the team charter plane with dozens of witnesses including his own teammates. Then the Jags cut him apparently keeping this all hush hush until this lawsuit comes public. Then Denver cut him also, because he sucked. He obviously never told the Commanders about this incident.

In actuality though, they should cut him because he was the 26th ranked kicker in the league, barely a percentage point higher than Joey Slye.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
What I mean is, why are they just going for a civil trial? If you were sexually assaulted wouldn't you ask for a criminal trial? Of course I know nothing about what happened so just odd to me
The accuser can certainly ask for one, but it is up to the prosecutor as to whether or not they want to bring charges. In “he said/she said” cases, proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt is very difficult (absent some other evidence), so prosecutors are reticent to push for charges.

Ultimately, these accusers get more redress in civil court where they can get $, in a forum where the standard is only preponderance of the evidence (essentially > 50% probability). Many accusers don’t even want to really cooperate with the authorities in a criminal inquiry, (in the US, the 6th Amend. generally requires them to testify) - so they’d rather go this route and get a nice (sealed) settlement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad