Player Discussion: 2024 Vezina Winner Connor Hellebuyck

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
I dont think its a coincidence that helle is struggling and brossoit is playing like trash at the same time. Jets defense has been brutal. a .930+ save percentage was not sustainable with this defensive play.
With brossoit playing like shit there is really nothing to debate right now...helle has a long term deal and is the #1.
Maybe next year a new backup goalie can challenge helle if hes mediocre...something the jets refused to do last year when brossoit was playing lights out.

It is what it is. Hopefully helle can go on another hot streak and the jets make a coaching change which lights a fire under everyones ass...... but until then we are stuck with the current situation.

Reactions: wasup and Jedub

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
vs CAR
upload_2020-1-23_13-47-18.png

vs CHI
upload_2020-1-23_13-47-50.png

vs TBL
upload_2020-1-23_13-48-23.png

vs VAN
upload_2020-1-23_13-48-45.png

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Helle gets the PHWA midseason Vezina award:

Vezina Trophyto the goaltender adjudged to be the best at his position.
1. Connor Hellebuyck, Winnipeg Jets
2. Ben Bishop, Dallas Stars
3. Darcy Kuemper, Arizona Coyotes

Relevant stats:
- 42 games
- 21-16-4 record
- 917 save percentage
- 2.74 GAA.

42 games. Who needs a backup?

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
He should win the Vezina but his SV% might not end up high enough because he plays behind the worst defense in the NHL in terms of giving up shot quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GNP

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Our Magic Number with Helle is 0.929.

When his SV% is < 0.929, our record is 4 Wins, 16 Losses and 2 OTLs. 10 of 44 possible points.

When his SV% is 0.929 or better, our record is 18 Wins, 1 Loss and 3 OTLs. 39 of 44 possible points.

I left out the game against Detroit where he came in for Brossoit for a minute for 2 SOG against, letting in one of them. We won that game 5-1.

I don't think it is easy to find a season where a keeper puts up a 0.929+ SV% in 50% of his games. Pretty clear reason as to why this team is seen as 'overachieving' this year. In general terms when Helle is on, we win. When he isn't, we don't.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

When his SV% is < 0.929, our record is 4 Wins, 16 Losses and 2 OTLs. 10 of 44 possible points.

When his SV% is 0.929 or better, our record is 18 Wins, 1 Loss and 3 OTLs. 39 of 44 possible points.

I left out the game against Detroit where he came in for Brossoit for a minute for 2 SOG against, letting in one of them. We won that game 5-1.

I don't think it is easy to find a season where a keeper puts up a 0.929+ SV% in 50% of his games. Pretty clear reason as to why this team is seen as 'overachieving' this year. In general terms when Helle is on, we win. When he isn't, we don't.

You just described most goalies stats in individual games.

When the goalie is good, the team wins the game more often than not. When he's bad, they don't. Not groundbreaking stuff.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I would rephrase it slightly by saying when Helle is the best in the league vs expected goals we win when he is mortal we struggle ;)

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Hellebuyck's game-by-game SV% is very hot and cold. He's .920 or better in 26 games, below .900 in 16 games, but he's only been between .900 and .920 in 3 games.

He either shuts the door or shits the bed.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
So far helly has a bad year and then a good year. He rotates. Hopefully he breaks that cycle next year when and if we re tool.

If helly played like this last year we would of won the central and most likely got out of the first round

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Hellebuyck's game-by-game SV% is very hot and cold. He's .920 or better in 26 games, below .900 in 16 games, but he's only been between .900 and .920 in 3 games.

He either shuts the door or ****s the bed.

I've noticed that about Helly for a long time, and it's why he doesn't give me any sense of confidence about this team's future. His good games are just increasing the odds that Chevy and Maurice get extended and the nightmare of mediocrity will continue unabated for years to come. Helly is literally killing our chances of winning a Cup by masking the underlying weaknesses of the players and coaches.

When you get right down to it, our "just miss" year really came down to two dumb luck picks. Helly wan't even on our radar when our scout went down to check out the goalie for the Bugtussle Beavers or whatever the hell they were, and Helly caught his eye. And they still left him till the 5th round so maybe more of a "meh, it's getting late maybe we'll take a chance on a goalie" than "wow, this kid could be really something". And the other lucky pick was Laine. Let's be real, getting him through the lottery can't be considered anything beyond luck. So, take away a near Vezina performance and a career year for a kid with an unsustainably high shooting percentage still catching the league a bit off guard, and where would the team have been in 2017-18? Probably outside looking in or one and done.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
So far helly has a bad year and then a good year. He rotates. Hopefully he breaks that cycle next year when and if we re tool.

If helly played like this last year we would of won the central and most likely got out of the first round

I am not sure why this false narrative keeps getting pushed by certain people. The only year Hellebuyck was below NHL average was 2016-17. In 2015-16, he was above average. In 2017-18, he was Vezina caliber. In 2018-19, he was above average. This season, he is playing like a Vezina Trophy winner, in spite of a sub-par blue line.

Even in 2016-17, he really was not that bad, just mediocre.

Not sure if it is a Canadian thing or not, but it seems there is no pleasing certain people. We could have Connor McDavid putting up record numbers, and certain posters would be critical of him not doing it from his rookie season.

Reactions: buggs

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

He either shuts the door or ****s the bed.

Would the difference in a lot of those games not be giving up one extra goal or not? Like what’s the difference in SV% between giving up 2 goals on 29 shots or 3 on 29 shots?

Reactions: hn777

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I am not sure why this false narrative keeps getting pushed by certain people. The only year Hellebuyck was below NHL average was 2016-17. In 2015-16, he was above average. In 2017-18, he was Vezina caliber. In 2018-19, he was above average. This season, he is playing like a Vezina Trophy winner, in spite of a sub-par blue line.

Even in 2016-17, he really was not that bad, just mediocre.

Not sure if it is a Canadian thing or not, but it seems there is no pleasing certain people. We could have Connor McDavid putting up record numbers, and certain posters would be critical of him not doing it from his rookie season.
It's a HF board thing . You win , everything is roses even if you did not play great . If you get even a lucky goal and play below average you are great , Certain players can't do anything right no matter what and others can't do anything wrong . Make 20 saves but let one crappy one in you suck . Analytics tell the whole story if it's in agreement the post you are making . Our coach is crappy and the GM is a moron . I'm right you are wrong ,your an idiot , you know , HF boards . lol

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
So we’re splitting hairs to the extreme most likely then?
The Jets are averaging 33 shots against per game.

2 GA = .939
3 GA = .909
4 GA = .878

We're getting a lot of 2-or-less GA games (24), and a bunch of 4-or-more GA games (14) and few in between (7). Hellebuyck runs hot & cold...

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
He seems to be rebounding nicely from a really awful stretch.

I want playoffs and to be competitive. Happy to be proven wrong. Well see how February continues and what March and April bring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hn777

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I've noticed that about Helly for a long time, and it's why he doesn't give me any sense of confidence about this team's future. His good games are just increasing the odds that Chevy and Maurice get extended and the nightmare of mediocrity will continue unabated for years to come. Helly is literally killing our chances of winning a Cup by masking the underlying weaknesses of the players and coaches.

When you get right down to it, our "just miss" year really came down to two dumb luck picks. Helly wan't even on our radar when our scout went down to check out the goalie for the Bugtussle Beavers or whatever the hell they were, and Helly caught his eye. And they still left him till the 5th round so maybe more of a "meh, it's getting late maybe we'll take a chance on a goalie" than "wow, this kid could be really something". And the other lucky pick was Laine. Let's be real, getting him through the lottery can't be considered anything beyond luck. So, take away a near Vezina performance and a career year for a kid with an unsustainably high shooting percentage still catching the league a bit off guard, and where would the team have been in 2017-18? Probably outside looking in or one and done.

A) So Hellebuyck being good is ruining the team? Don't buy that.
B) Most goalies aren't taken in the first rounds.

Pessimism for pessimism's sake.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
It's a HF board thing . You win , everything is roses even if you did not play great . If you get even a lucky goal and play below average you are great , Certain players can't do anything right no matter what and others can't do anything wrong . Make 20 saves but let one crappy one in you suck . Analytics tell the whole story if it's in agreement the post you are making . Our coach is crappy and the GM is a moron . I'm right you are wrong ,your an idiot , you know , HF boards . lol

Well, no that's not HF Boards at all. I shouldn't say you're an idiot, because that would contravene the "attack the post, not the poster" rule here. Instead, I should say this post is idiotic or to use the more common descriptor, asinine. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad