Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v5 |Sat, Jun 29 | vs NYY | 3pm ET/12pm PT | Cortes vs Bassitt

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
fenwayrain.jpg

Radar as it looks now.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Just saw on tv that the game is postponed. No surprise.

Weird, they changed it again that it's in Rain Delay.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Super late on this since it's 10pm in Toronto now, but I had the idea again (I think I did this last season or the year before) that if there's no game tonight I could put up some alternate baseball for your listening pleasure:

From May 14, 1957 it's the Brooklyn Dodgers playing against the Milwaukee Braves.

I won't spoil the results of the game (you can look that up yourself if you want. Googling the date and teams will send you to the baseball-reference box score page) but some info and background:
  • This is the Dodger broadcast as presented by Vin Scully and Jerry Doggett (Scully had been the Dodgers' play-by-play since 1950)
  • This was the final season for the Dodgers in Brooklyn before relocating to Los Angeles. The Braves would play another 10 years before moving to Atlanta.
  • There are 6 future hall-of-famers in the game. For the Dodgers: Pee Wee Reese (SS), Duke Snider (CF), Gil Hodges (1B), and Roy Campanella (C). For the Braves: Eddie Mathews (3B), and Hank Aaron (RF). This game just missed out on Jackie Robinson, who retired after the 1956 season)
  • Your pitching matchup is Don Newcombe (the reigning Cy Young and NL MVP winner) vs Bob Buhl (based on his performance that season he looks like the 2nd best starter on the team behind Warren Spahn)

I'm trying to catalog a ton of classic games I have access to and maybe I'll pop up links to some of the more interesting or historical ones from time to time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad