Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v5 | Wed, Aug 7 | vs Bal | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Kremer vs Gausman

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
If this shit orgainzation let the kids play earlier they might be in a playoff hunt

Clement is sick
Barger showing promise
Horowitz is sick

Hitting the ball now and winning games. Weird.

Way more enjoyable to watch now.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
It absolutely matters if a pitcher can throw a lot of innings because teams only have so many pitchers.

A pitcher who can throw 6+ innings per start with a ~4 ERA means you don't have to overwork the bullpen and turn to your mop-up guys for important innings. And if that pitcher can start 30+ games a year, it means you don't have to turn to your depth starters and minor leaguers (who would likely have a much worse ERA) to fill those holes.

The funny thing is Kikuchi needed up being a disaster in year one and then provided excellent value for two years: a lot of innings with a 3.86 ERA in year two, and than a huge trade return in year three.
To me, a bad pitcher playing a lot of innings giving up lots of runs is worse. Thats' because guys like Kikuchi with his 4,7 ERA this year basically put the BP in a tough spot when he fizzled the past couple months. Even a solid BP would have trouble keeping the team in the game.

Also, when you got Jays starters who all have 4 ERAs at $12M - $20M each, it saps the team of salary budget. Bad starting pitchers who are paid a lot kill team budget and pitch 6-7 innings of bad ball. The overall league ERA is a touch over 4. So basically my math in my previous post has Jays starters even worse than the league avg overall and starters only. They are paying top dollar for guys who are below the avg.

It's like a bad goalie with a GAA of 4, I dont care if he has stamina to play all 82 games. if he's bad, he's bad.

Kikuchi 3.86 ERA last year was his best year by a mile in his 6 year MLB career. Jays and Seattle paying hi $12-15M/yr is absurd. And an ERA of 3.86 isnt AS or HOF numbers either. I can see Seattle getting hooped since he was a rock star in Japan, but after 3 years in Seattle at an ERA around 5 every year, why Jays would also give him a 3 year contract for $36M is crazy.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
To me, a bad pitcher playing a lot of innings giving up lots of runs is worse. Thats' because guys like Kikuchi with his 4,7 ERA this year basically put the BP in a tough spot when he fizzled the past couple months. Even a solid BP would have trouble keeping the team in the game.

Also, when you got Jays starters who all have 4 ERAs at $12M - $20M each, it saps the team of salary budget. Bad starting pitchers who are paid a lot kill team budget and pitch 6-7 innings of bad ball. The overall league ERA is a touch over 4. So basically my math in my previous post has Jays starters even worse than the league avg overall and starters only. They are paying top dollar for guys who are below the avg.

It's like a bad goalie with a GAA of 4, I dont care if he has stamina to play all 82 games. if he's bad, he's bad.

Kikuchi 3.86 ERA last year was his best year by a mile in his 6 year MLB career. Jays and Seattle paying hi $12-15M/yr is absurd. And an ERA of 3.86 isnt AS or HOF numbers either. I can see Seattle getting hooped since he was a rock star in Japan, but after 3 years in Seattle at an ERA around 5 every year, why Jays would also give him a 3 year contract for $36M is crazy.
And yet, oddly enough, despite making $12 million this year, Kikuchi had enough surplus value that Houston was willing to give up two of their best prospects to get him.

VERY few pitchers are capable of reliably giving you 6-7 innings with a sub-4 ERA these days.

You generally have to choose whether you want someone who can eat innings or someone who can pitch well in a short stint. You can't load your pitching staff with the latter because there are too many innings to cover and those guys will fall apart or blow out their arms. That's why teams are always willing to pay big money for guys like this.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Pillar had a thing for diving for the highlight reel catches... Varsho's thing seems to be leaping in the air at the wall.

I'm glad he's finally gotten CF to himself now.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Would like to thank the Orioles using a player with no major league hits in a pinch hit spot.

Beauty play to end the inning

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
After he walked the first batter I thought it was just gonna implode. Lucky outing for sure.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Hmm.... Chad Green looking decent at closer? 9 for 9... Given Romano's uncertainty and this year he was erratic when he was around, do the Jays have a closer for next year in Green?

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Hmm.... Chad Green looking decent at closer? 9 for 9... Given Romano's uncertainty and this year he was erratic when he was around, do the Jays have a closer for next year in Green?
answer - maybe. At the very least a reliable 8th guy.

Entertaining game tonight

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It’s unreal how a guy like Kirk with great contact skills has hit this awful for most of the season. He barreled that ball up tonight and it went far. He can do that more often, I know it. That was nice to see.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Really fun game last night. Varsho worries me that he's going to hurt himself he has negative fear of injury. The kids are exciting. Genesis escaping with just 1 ERA with the loaded bases was pretty awesome with the 2 straight Ks.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Francis looks to have his best stuff. If he can command it.

Santander can hit. He's going to get a huge deal..

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Too bad this isn’t true and simply makes no sense.
He isn't wrong. In April he only hit 2 homers and 10RBI, in May he only hit 2 homers and 12RBI. he only had 2 homers by June 19th. He finally got hot hitting 6 homers in 9 games to close out June and has stayed hot since.

2.5 months of slap hitting singles is pretty bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium