Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v4 |Sat, Jun 15 | vs CLE | 3pm ET/12pm PT | Carrasco vs TBD

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I haven’t watched any blue jays baseball for around a month or so out of principle. I refuse while Atkins is running the things. It’s only a matter of time before he’s gone, in the meanwhile fukk them and the stadium Reno’s.

But might I suggest people tune into another Toronto baseball team. The maple leafs inter county team. It’s fun. The games are free and the talent level is decent. I’ve been to a few games this year. It’s a good time. Plus there’s none of the unnecessary baggage that comes with the jays. Win or lose, it’s no biggie…. Just a good way to enjoy baseball.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The Kiermaier signing was idiotic. We needed to move Varsho to CF and bring in a good hitting LF. After we missed on Ohtani, we needed Soto and missed out to the Yankees.

Kiermaier: 9 runs created
Soto: 49 runs created

The Yankees paid a huge price but we did have Manoah, Tiedemann and Martinez to move in trade.

Also If they sign a better DH then Turner, we are also in a much better position.

I'm still not sold we need a full rebuild because I think we have a lot of good pieces. What we lack is a good DH and a middle of the order bat.

1. Schneider
2. Guerrero
3. ------
4 -------
5. Jansen
6. Bichette
7. Varsho
8. Springer
9. IKF
That’s hilarious man. The team needs more than a DH.

But management is probably thinking like you. They are close LMFAO.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They better find a competent GM real soon. Not for this year, but to salvage the next two.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I haven’t watched any blue jays baseball for around a month or so out of principle. I refuse while Atkins is running the things. It’s only a matter of time before he’s gone, in the meanwhile fukk them and the stadium Reno’s.

But might I suggest people tune into another Toronto baseball team. The maple leafs inter county team. It’s fun. The games are free and the talent level is decent. I’ve been to a few games this year. It’s a good time. Plus there’s none of the unnecessary baggage that comes with the jays. Win or lose, it’s no biggie…. Just a good way to enjoy baseball.
Aside from a game or two watched with my dad and one in person I haven’t watched any games. Said I wouldn’t watch until Schneider is fired but Atkins is part of that for me as well now

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Did Vladdy figure something out finally? Or is it just a hot streak. At least he has looked great.

He’s riding an insane babip (.481) over the last month. More liners, even less flyballs, and he’s barely pulling the ball. But he is hitting everything hard and finding the holes. This is basically an even more extreme result from his 2023 season, but the results are actually showing.

Also, despite receiving very limited ABs over that same timeframe, Kirk has the 2nd highest EV at 94.6. He’s also hitting less GBs this year and has been rather unlucky in the HR/FB department. Only a matter of time until he breaks out again IMO.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
The problem is that Vladdy is hitting mostly singles and sometimes a double.

Singles don't often drive in runs. A home run always drives in runs. He needs to hit for more power.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The problem is that Vladdy is hitting mostly singles and sometimes a double.

Singles don't often drive in runs. A home run always drives in runs. He needs to hit for more power.

It’s honestly irrelevant if he gets on base every other AB. Look at Freddie Freeman as another example of a guy that generates less power as a 1B but gets on base at an elite rate.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
It’s honestly irrelevant if he gets on base every other AB. Look at Freddie Freeman as another example of a guy that generates less power as a 1B but gets on base at an elite rate.
It is relevant for a team that scores so few runs. How many times have they lost by a run this year?

So what if he hits a single with nobody on base or a guy on 1st base. That doesnt produce a run. A homer does.

When you have others that are producing and contributing then its fine.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
It is relevant for a team that scores so few runs. How many times have they lost by a run this year?

So what if he hits a single with nobody on base or a guy on 1st base. That doesnt produce a run. A homer does.

When you have others that are producing and contributing then its fine.
No, blaming Vlad for guys behind him not hitting in nonsensical

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I'm not blaming him. I'm just saying that hitting mostly singles on this particular team isnt very effective.

Just look at Varsho. Barely hititng .200 but he has more RBI's than Vladdy. Why? Because he's hitting more homers.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

The entire lineup, save for a select few, deserve blame. Vladdy included. He's slotted in the lineup and paid to drive in runs. The entire lineup is built around him driving in runs. Singles and the odd double aren't what the team needs or expects. If he's not driving in runs this team is doomed regardless of what others behind him are doing. Vladdy is a big part of why this team's season is already over.

Reactions: MK78

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
The entire lineup, save for a select few, deserve blame. Vladdy included. He's slotted in the lineup and paid to drive in runs. The entire lineup is built around him driving in runs. Singles and the odd double aren't what the team needs or expects. If he's not driving in runs this team is doomed regardless of what others behind him are doing. Vladdy is a big part of why this team's season is already over.
You can't drive in runs from the on-deck circle.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
You can't drive in runs from the on-deck circle.
C'mon. Vladdy has had many opportunities so far this season to drive in runs. Many times he's been in the position to put the team out in front or get them right back in it. You're now sounding like a Vladdy excuse maker. He's been one of the biggest disappointment this season, If not the biggest.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I want our hitting to be better, and it's horribly frustrating to watch this teams at bats. But it's wild that this bullpen isn't taking more flack on here for being the worst in baseball...

All I hear is Bo, Vladdy, George, Kirk, etc not enough enough but there is nothing about Swanson, Mayza, Cabrera, Pearson and even Romano being borderline unplayable.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I want our hitting to be better, and it's horribly frustrating to watch this teams at bats. But it's wild that this bullpen isn't taking more flack on here for being the worst in baseball...

All I hear is Bo, Vladdy, George, Kirk, etc not enough enough but there is nothing about Swanson, Mayza, Cabrera, Pearson and even Romano being borderline unplayable.

True, it's been a big problem. Complete reversal of last year's pen. Last game was on Romano giving up that homer. The offence scored more than enough runs. Garcia coughed up the lead, but he has been lights out for the 1st 2 months so he gets a pass.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
It seems like Ohtani was their only hope, once he wasn’t an option, they didn’t know what to do
This was my read too, I'm shocked a professional GM had no plan B, Shoei made the right call.

The Kiermaier signing was idiotic. We needed to move Varsho to CF and bring in a good hitting LF. After we missed on Ohtani, we needed Soto and missed out to the Yankees.

The Yankees paid a huge price but we did have Manoah, Tiedemann and Martinez to move in trade.

Also If they sign a better DH then Turner, we are also in a much better position.

I'm still not sold we need a full rebuild because I think we have a lot of good pieces. What we lack is a good DH and a middle of the order bat.

1. Schneider
2. Guerrero
3. ------
4 -------
5. Jansen
6. Bichette
7. Varsho
8. Springer
9. IKF

Kiermaier is a good signing on a team that has a surplus of good hitters, on the Jays he should be nothing more than a late innings defensive replacement, even at that your starting CF should be your best defensive OF, if you need to replace your CF in the late innings, chances are your CF is not that good defensivly.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Hard to get better from inside when you don’t play the internal options. Vogelbach still on this team is a prime example of that.

Why that guy is on any roster in the MLB is beyond comprehension, Atkins has yet to make a good move that last longer than a season IMO.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
C'mon. Vladdy has had many opportunities so far this season to drive in runs. Many times he's been in the position to put the team out in front or get them right back in it. You're now sounding like a Vladdy excuse maker. He's been one of the biggest disappointment this season, If not the biggest.
No, he hasn't.

A 140 wRC+ is not a disappointment.

The biggest issue with the Jays offensively is sequencing (followed by continuing to give at-bats to guys who shouldn't be getting them).

Create a rally then have guys like Kirk, Springer, KK, etc come up.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

This is a ridiculously flawed assertion. Vladdy is t-25th in opportunities with RISP, and t-41st in RBIs with RISP (with Varsho). If anything he’s been fine at driving in runs, and comparable to other players like Tatis Jr, Corbin Carroll, Pete Alonso.

The actual problem is that the player who has the next highest amount of opportunities has been Justin Turner, who has been terrible. Then sprinkle in Bichette and Varsho who have been great, and then Springer who has the 5th most opportunities and has also been terrible.

Vladdy, who has been a table setter and catalyst over the last 30 days has been on base in 52 of his last 110 PAs. He scored 14 times despite being the 4th best hitter by wRC+ over that timespan. Please explain how a player who is 9th in MLB in OBP, and one of the hottest hitters in baseball, can be considered one of the biggest disappointments of the season.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

1. Schneider
2. Guerrero
3. ------
4 -------
5. Jansen
6. Bichette
7. Varsho
8. Springer
9. IKF

Even Lourdes who is hitting .234 would be a better option than any of Kiermier, Varsho or Springer .. when .234 is a better option that is in inditement of your GM and Hitting Coach. Moreno at .228 is better than Kirk at .209, would have compared him to Jansen but he was not here most of the season, Atkins is the anti-Midas touch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad