Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v3 | Thu, May 23 | @ Det | 6:30pm ET/3:30pm PT | Gausman vs Flaherty

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not sure why he was admiring the hit

Clutch by Varsho

It's the weirdest thing about baseball.

You get 4 ABs/game and once you take out K/BBs you actually probably put 2 balls into play a game and have to run 90 feet hard twice a night. As a professional athlete. Give it 100% and it's still, like, the equivalent of one shift for an NHL player.

And yet somehow when a guy like Kiermaier or Varsho actually runs out every ball, they're a freaking unicorn. It's literally the easiest fundamental in the world but 95% of MLB somehow can't do it.

Varsho, of course, was sprinting out of the box on his HR that was well into the stands.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
And yet somehow when a guy like Kiermaier or Varsho actually runs out every ball, they're a freaking unicorn. It's literally the easiest fundamental in the world but 95% of MLB somehow can't do it.

Varsho, of course, was sprinting out of the box on his HR that was well into the stands.
Varsho is a freak on the bases. yesterday when he hit a triple he wasn't even breathing hard...

When vladdy went from 1st to 3rd he looked like he ran a marathon lol.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Varsho is a freak on the bases. yesterday when he hit a triple he wasn't even breathing hard...

So what you're saying is that Varsho isn't even trying that hard if he's not pushing until he's winded. What a trash player :sarcasm:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Vladdy ran hard there and looked fine going into 2nd. He's actually a hell of a baserunner which is what makes the lazy bits so frustrating.

Bichette is back to normal.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Wow, what a throw from Carpenter there.

Didn't think that would even be close at the plate. Don't think Bichette did either.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Dan acting like it's insane that they have to start the game at 11:30am

Meanwhile out on the west coast I'm faced with having to get up for 8:30 on a Sunday. Yeah, I don't think so. I'll get there when I get there.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Dan acting like it's insane that they have to start the game at 11:30am

Meanwhile out on the west coast I'm faced with having to get up for 8:30 on a Sunday. Yeah, I don't think so. I'll get there when I get there.

I'm stoked for that 8:30 game, lots more freedom for the rest of my day.

Watching sports on the east coast is the weirdest thing. I'm so programmed from childhood to get home from school -> turn on sports and was in Baltimore for a work convention a couple years ago and it finishes at 4 and get back to the hotel room to put a game of some sort on before going out for dinner ... and it's an absolute wasteland of daytime TV til 7 pm. It's bizarre, although I guess it's what you're used to.

Reactions: Vector

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
The offense is slowly turning it out around

If the pitching can maintain and we go on a seriousssssssss run like 15-5 over the next 20. The season can be saved.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Yeah I guess Vladdy took exception to Varsho being 5 homers up on him lol.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Vladdy ran hard there and looked fine going into 2nd. He's actually a hell of a baserunner which is what makes the lazy bits so frustrating.

Bichette is back to normal.

I remember looking up Vladdy’s sprint numbers a season or two ago and was very surprised that he has league average speed. He’s not slow at all just, like you said, he doesn’t hustle enough.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
For those of you who didnt see it, Vogel smashed a ball to RF. Off the wall. He was held to a single as he didnt run.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I remember looking up Vladdy’s sprint numbers a season or two ago and was very surprised that he has league average speed. He’s not slow at all just, like you said, he doesn’t hustle enough.

He's an athlete. That superman slide he did last year was insane for a player his size. And he's a smart baserunner too.

But he probably costs himself 5 hits/year by not running anything out unless it looks like extra bases.

For those of you who didnt see it, Vogel smashed a ball to RF. Off the wall. He was held to a single as he didnt run.

I wonder if Schneider pinch-ran for him in the 6th despite the DH spot coming up another time because of this.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He's an athlete. That superman slide he did last year was insane for a player his size. And he's a smart baserunner too.

But he probably costs himself 5 hits/year by not running anything out unless it looks like extra bases.

I wonder if Schneider pinch-ran for him in the 6th despite the DH spot coming up another time because of this.

I believe it was the 7th in a 1-1 game, it made logical sense but the fact that he admired the distance probably further swayed the decision into replacing him. Like the least you could have done was jog to ensure 2B, but it seemed like he really waited around home plate.

(I also thought it was gonna go out though)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I think Vlad costs himself even more bases by regularly hitting low line drives 110+ mph off the wall. He often comes out of the box running hard but gets held to a single because it gets to the outfielder so fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad