2024 Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Okposo would be my top choice.
Prospal 2.0??

I’d prefer Iafallo, out of all the “realistic” possibilities I’ve heard.

Also would really like to focus on possibly adding another truly defensive minded forward. I don’t think Iafallo or Okposo are that. I’d like to put Jenner-Voronkov together, but, that takes away nearly all the real “grit” we have in the “top 9”.

While we could use that type of (different) player added offensively, as I’ve contested last few years, and even after the terrible offseason this year, I don’t think added offense is what the team needs to worry about at all.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't know what Okposo has in the tank but he's a leader and a good dude. I remember his sandbagger episode with Moulson being pretty good

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Only reading the transcript but Friedman is openly wondering (which usually means he’s hearing things) if we’re going to offer Kessel a PTO on 32TP. If more context is needed I’ll give it later when I listen.

They feel that since he’s a veteran who keeps the mood light he could be a valuable piece to the locker room as they might need some levity in the room this year. (Also mentions JVR is like that as well)

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Only reading the transcript but Friedman is openly wondering (which usually means he’s hearing things) if we’re going to offer Kessel a PTO on 32TP. If more context is needed I’ll give it later when I listen.

They feel that since he’s a veteran who keeps the mood light he could be a valuable piece to the locker room as they might need some levity in the room this year. (Also mentions JVR is like that as well)
That'll be an awkward first day of camp for Werenski.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

It doesn't make any sense to me to bring in another player who can only play sheltered offensive roles. We'd have to convert some of our young players into checking forwards to cover for the old guys. It should be the other way around.

If you're talking about when Werenski took a puck to the face like 8 years ago, then obviously that is not a thing players hold grudges over.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
If you're talking about when Werenski took a puck to the face like 8 years ago, then obviously that is not a thing players hold grudges over.
Thank you, Major Pedantic. Even if they immediately hug it out, there's still the awkward moment of "oh hey, my face is permanently shaped weird because of a puck that came off your stick" and "ha, your face looks like that because of a puck that came off my stick."

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Thank you, Major Pedantic. Even if they immediately hug it out, there's still the awkward moment of "oh hey, my face is permanently shaped weird because of a puck that came off your stick" and "ha, your face looks like that because of a puck that came off my stick."

There's nothing to hug out. That was an accidental play a very long time ago. Players don't care who did what even if there is a scar.

Anyways Kessel didn't even play last year, I'm not sure why we'd consider him. We're talking about old players here who are much more limited than a guy we gave away in Alex Nylander. I don't get the point.

Youngguns1380

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

Bottom of the barrell yet again. GMDW is doing all that he can with the hand he has been dealt.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Here's some cool local writing about Werenski's face from the subsequent preseason.

But the “history” Kristen Werenski referenced was the image of her son that has become iconic — a badge of honor of sorts that adds to the reputation of hockey players as particularly tough.

“When he broke his face, he asked me, ‘Should I post it?'” Kristen said. “I tell him now that your face is healed you'll need something else to make you famous.”

“I helped him move in [to his Columbus apartment], and we went out to get something to eat. The busboy turns and says, ‘Holy shit, it's Zach Werenski.' Then we stop to get gas and these girls are yelling, ‘You're Zach Werenski!'” Ken Werenski said. “I told him, ‘Only you could get hurt like that and have it work out so well.'”

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I'm guessing waivers, that way they have camp and preseason to see what they have and figure out if any of the kids are ready and how many bodies they need.
I was originally thinking waivers as well. However, and I don't recall if waiver claims are different in pre-season vs in-season... I think they will want to make sure the waiver claim is worth losing the waiver position. That's always the tricky part...

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Pano Fimis earned himself an invite! Very glad to see that. He was one of the standouts from the prospect tournament.

Edit: And Goalie Jacob Oster too. He looked good against Ottawa in the game he started so I'm not surprised to see them invite him as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monk and Viqsi

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Poo, first time in a while I’ll have to miss the scrimmage. Will hopefully be able to drop in for a practice or two. Like comparing the whole group as opposed to just prospects amongst one another

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
I can never figure out the right thread to put my mostly stupid questions so here goes. Does anybody remember back when the downloaded schedules to your Google Calendar were color coded blue and red for home and away? For me, it just made it easier to see at a glance if I was getting in the car that evening or turning on the TV 🤣.
So my question is, does anybody know where I can download a color coded schedule like that? Thanks!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can never figure out the right thread to put my mostly stupid questions so here goes. Does anybody remember back when the downloaded schedules to your Google Calendar were color coded blue and red for home and away? For me, it just made it easier to see at a glance if I was getting in the car that evening or turning on the TV 🤣.
So my question is, does anybody know where I can download a color coded schedule like that? Thanks!
Never seen that before. That would technically require two different calendars - a "home games" one and an "away games" one - because Google's pretty strictly one-primary-color-per-calendar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad