2024 Training Camp Roster & Schedule

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
First a prediction:

Simon will end up better than Mo. Bold, sure. Watching this guy, and what a difference he made not only on the Wings but when he went back to GR convinced me he is something special. These two are going to be INSANE together. No one line team will beat them. When caught off the ice you have two veterans to hold the fort.

That aside.

MO and Simon make sense to me. You have a close down top pairing capable of eating up 40-50% the game. Of course, it won't be exclusive. You mix and match based on game situation and opponent.

Chiarot - He was more effective when moved down to a 2nd pairing player. Leave him there.

Petry - The only time he looked NHL level was in the last 15 games or so. Playing with another vet may make him a competent 2nd pairing player, but I don't see it.

Erik Gustafsson - He is the wild card. Can he hold down the #4 spot?!​

Maata - He anchors the 3rd pairing. I'd leave him there.

Mo-Simon
Chiarot - Gustafsson
Maata - Johnasson
Petry

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I mean why would a coaching staff ever utilize pre-season practice to try things. That just seems silly...

We know most of these combinations will be mediocre. But we don't know if these other combinations will be mediocre. Lets stick with what we know!

I don’t think there’s any non-frustrating configuration of those defensive pairings. That’s an Yzerman problem, not a Lalonde problem, in my view.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don’t think there’s any non-frustrating configuration of those defensive pairings. That’s an Yzerman problem, not a Lalonde problem, in my view.
This is the third preseason now. Not once has any reporter provided notes from any practice that Mo and Maatta were ever tried together. Like WTF is practice for if not to try things out? We know Mo and Chiarot are a mediocre combination. We knew it 2 years ago and we know it now. Just try something else. If everything else is bad, guess what... the mediocre Mo and Chiarot pairing is still there to land on. It's not going anywhere. But if you're too chicken to try something in practice you know damn sure that when shit isn't working in a game he's not going to try it then. It's ridiculously limiting to not put other combinations out there and at least get a feel for if it works or not.

Maatta - Mo
Ed - Gus
AlJo - Petry
Chia - Holl

Like, whats the harm in running that?

Then next game

AlJo - Mo
Ed - Holl
Chia - AlJo
Gus - Petry

There are so many combinations that don't immediately land with Chia - Mo and Ed - Petry.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yeah Ed/Seider is the pair you put together for heavy usage preserving a lead in the last 10 minutes or when you need that last minute goal. We don't have a good enough D to pair them regularly.

I am not against trying Seider and Chia again as Chia looked a lot better last season, and he just needs to be told to not skate the puck. He was fine in his zone last year for the most part.

Petry scares me more because he is the guy that I could see absolutely falling off a cliff this year. If he loses even half a step he will reach pylon level. This is why I really wanted Stevie to get a partner for Ed this off season. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but Petry is unlikely to get better at his age.

My prediction is that Aljo is on that top pair with Seider by the end of year. I think his style of game could really compliment him. We'll see.

As for forwards I think there is a definite top 9 spot available for a young guy. Someone to pair with Kane if we are going to keep the 1st line intact. From what I've read it seems Tank looked his best on the 3rd line last year, so I'm not opposed to keeping that this year, especially if he looks good with Berg.

Start with:

DBC-Larks-Ray
Danielson/Kasper/Mazur-Compher- Kane
Berggy-Veleno-Tank
Fisher-Copp-Ras

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
This is the third preseason now. Not once has any reporter provided notes from any practice that Mo and Maatta were ever tried together. Like WTF is practice for if not to try things out? We know Mo and Chiarot are a mediocre combination. We knew it 2 years ago and we know it now. Just try something else. If everything else is bad, guess what... the mediocre Mo and Chiarot pairing is still there to land on. It's not going anywhere. But if you're too chicken to try something in practice you know damn sure that when shit isn't working in a game he's not going to try it then. It's ridiculously limiting to not put other combinations out there and at least get a feel for if it works or not.

Maatta - Mo
Ed - Gus
AlJo - Petry
Chia - Holl

Like, whats the harm in running that?

Then next game

AlJo - Mo
Ed - Holl
Chia - AlJo
Gus - Petry

There are so many combinations that don't immediately land with Chia - Mo and Ed - Petry.
Well the prior season Maata and Hronek were too good of a pair to break up. Then Maata got sick, clearly did not have the stamina legs when he returned. It wasn't until the end of last season that he started to look good again, so I'm wondering if it simply comes down to him not being able to play top pair minutes.

If he is fully recovered I think its definitely worth trying him there.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Well the prior season Maata and Hronek were too good of a pair to break up. Then Maata got sick, clearly did not have the stamina legs when he returned. It wasn't until the end of last season that he started to look good again, so I'm wondering if it simply comes down to him not being able to play top pair minutes.

If he is fully recovered I think its definitely worth trying him there.
Just as a note the comment about Mo and Maatta not once being reported as working together extends to all practices. Not just training camp.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Just as a note the comment about Mo and Maatta not once being reported as working together extends to all practices. Not just training camp.
No I get that. My point was post his return from pneumonia (Dec 23) Maatta's stamina hasn't looked great. They may have never tried the two together because Maatta physically can't play those top line minutes with Mo.

If there isn't a physical limitation from the pneumonia then I absolutely agree with you about it being silly that they haven't even been tried together. But my eye test says that the above might be true.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Chiarot on the top pair
73e020f56c4a86221823bc32113b4316d2-25-ben-affleck-sad-smoke.w710.jpg

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I still think Lalonde is a pretty bad coach and we won’t go anywhere for real till he’s replaced
Since he joined Red Wings we had Something going on with Vrana, Zadina, Fabbri, Holl . Last one is a biggest mystery to me still not waived and same time not let him be top 6. ether Yzerman had no idea when he brought Holl or its just Lalonde rejecting guy totally. Time will tell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad