2024 Training Camp Roster & Schedule

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
There are pros-and-cons to each approach, similar to spreading out offensive firepower or stacking it.

In the near-term I'm not so sure Edvinsson is ready to carry a pairing to the level where it can draw significant pressure away from Seider. That's more of a long-term hope imo.

2-3 years from now I envision Edvinsson being the defensive stalwart to shelter Pellikka next to.

I wouldn't think he'd be able to take significant pressure off Seider right off the hop either. But I think (much) sooner than later, he's going to be the 2nd best dman on the team after Seider, if he isn't already. Considering we don't exactly have an embarrassment of riches on the defensive end at the moment, you're pretty well putting all your eggs in one basket if they're paired together.

While I do see some benefit of pairing them together, more so for Edvinsson than for Seider tbh, I think there's more benefit to splitting them up. After all, Seider can only be on the ice for 22-25 minutes on any given night anyway. So if we pair them together, that's 35-38 minutes of game time with some combination of Gustafsson, Chiarot, Petry, Maatta, and Holl on the ice. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Sure the top pair will be a beast, but any team with more than one top forward line like Toronto or Edmonton is going to feast on those bottom pairings. By splitting them up, if Seider is gassed you at least have Edvinsson's line you can deploy. And while he still obviously needs to acclimate to the NHL and continue improving, a 6'7 dman who skates like the wind with a good head on his shoulders is a very useful and versatile card to play even if still raw.

I also look at it from the standpoint of past experience. We had a young, highly pedigreed dman who entered the league a few years ago, and he was the de facto #1 dman within a matter of months. I don't have those expectations for Edvinsson per se, Seider was a unicorn in that regard. But Seider also stepped into the league in his D+3 season, while Edvinsson is stepping into a fulltime role in his D+4 season. They were/are both highly pedigreed, and that's for a reason. They're not the types who necessarily need sheltering. Sure there might be some growing pains to start, but I think Edvinsson would learn quickly, as Seider did, and he would be all the better for it in the long run. He was drafted 6th OA because he projects to be a big-game player, and he's excelled at every stop ever since his draft. So without any reason to doubt him, I say let him run the 2nd pairing and see how it works out. If he struggles and needs a little sheltering, then you can re-assess. But I think he'd do just fine in the role, and should have an opportunity to prove it one way or another.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I expect if things are going as they should Edvinsson and Mo will close games together. I think that is why they want them to get reps together. I see no reason why if the other team takes a timeout with 40 seconds that isn’t the pair you feed them.

You can split them until that. Tampa did that with Hedman and Mcdonagh for years.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I don't hate the top 3 lines but that 4th line looks about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

I disagree - it is basically your classical 4th line, don't get scored on and maybe generate something on forecheck. better than having Sprong or Fabbri with Veleno, which was not a scoring line nor checking line and had no purpose.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I expect if things are going as they should Edvinsson and Mo will close games together. I think that is why they want them to get reps together. I see no reason why if the other team takes a timeout with 40 seconds that isn’t the pair you feed them.

You can split them until that. Tampa did that with Hedman and Mcdonagh for years.
Oh yes, absolutely agree with that. You split them up as a general rule to maximize the amount of minutes you have at least one of them patrolling the ice every game. But in specific moments/situations where you need all the big guns on deck, you pair them together with Larkin and Raymond up front. I guess the 3rd forward with the current roster would be either Kane/Debrincat or Compher, depending on whether scoring a goal or preventing a goal is needed. But hopefully Danielson replaces Compher in that role sooner than later.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Personally, I think the vast majority of Chiarot's improved play last year was brought about by having a much easier role. Others believe in him, but I think even the Chiarot fans are a little concerned.

Personally I'm not concerned about it. Grass will grow. The sun will rise. Bacon will taste delicious and Chiarot will play poorly. Why should I devote my concern to the inevitable.

Why are you guys concentrating only on Chiarot being bad and Petry being bad.

Because It's Seider and Edvinsson who are GONNA BE GOOD, and carry those partners to better seasons.

What a heck is so hard to understand that? Seeing only bad things, and not seeing those good and easily predictive things.

Veterans rarely regress much, maybe a bit. But young players develop A LOT and take huge steps, which will improve generally more than the partner's regress is.

Just a proven fact.

Enjoy.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
DeBrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Rasmussen - Copp - Kane
Berggren - Compher - Tarasenko
Motte - Veleno - Fischer

That's what they used.

Interesting middle6. Just some new look.

That second line is ugly, Kane is too old and slow to score on his own. Might as well let Nate have a roster spot, and have Motte sit in the press box.

The only positive is that they're giving Burger a legit chance on a real line.

That would imply that 4th line has a use. I sincerely doubt it.
4th line is usually just scrubs on capped out teams. I'll remind you that Helm has a second Cup ring.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
It's looking like
Chiarot - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry

So instead of 1 good 1st pairing and 1 bad second pairing we're getting a below average 1st AND 2nd pairing.

This season's gonna be rough.

You'd rather have a 2nd pair that gets caved in?

And Ed has only played 25 games in the NHL. It doesn't seem crazy to me to start hi on the second pairing.

I saw an article on Mlive mentioning he bulked up. 6'6" 225 lbs and can skate has the making of a pretty formidable Dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad