Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I don't see a discount coming. Sakic didn't get him signed until halfway through camp for that last contract. Now he's got a couple 100 point season under his belt.

Yup. He'll have a shot at a huge deal. I don't see the Avs offering it. They've played hardball with everybody. I can't see them giving him the same deal as MacKinnon so you likely lose him for nothing and that'll be the final nail in the coffin where you won't even have a choice if you re-tool or not.

It's fun to talk about trading him and makes sense in theory but no chance it happens. Especially after the Nuke situation.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Dump Nuke, re-sign Drouin(So I can buy a jersey worth wearing again), hope that Landy is able to come back at a high end level again(Call me an optimist but I really think he will).

I'd give some of the kids a true look to start the year as well. Kovalenko, Foudy, maybe Ritchie, at least one of Behrens/Malinski. I dont think we have ourselves our own version of Wyatt Johnston by any means... But we wont know unless we give some of the kids we've got a real shot to prove themselves.

I dunno... I get people are disappointed right now. But its not like we were super far off this year. 2OT in game 6 against the Stars who themselves were an incredibly strong team. There's a pretty damn good chance this series was for a chance at the cup finals as both VAN/EDM look considerably weaker.

I wouldn't change much. Just wait and see what Landy can bring us in the fall and go from there. Trading Mikko isn't a realistic scenario.

Reactions: LOFIN

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
You can't move Sam Girard. You just traded Bowen Byram. Do people forget this team NEEDS fast, puck moving defensemen in order to have success? You don't find those anywhere. You have to keep him.

I just hope CMac has the balls to trade Mikko Rantanen but I doubt he will. We'll probably hear of an extension around September or October that we all hate, and the Avs will be content with being a "good" team for the next 4-5 years while never getting past the 2nd round.

If it was me, I'm trading Rantanen for the biggest haul possible and retooling.

Drouin - MacKinnon - XXX
Lehkonen - Mittelstadt - XXX
Landeskog - Colton - Ritchie
Wood - XXX - LOC

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Behrens - XXX

Georgiev/Someone else if the Avs hate Georgiev but his playoffs honestly earned him another shot because he was good.
Maybe it's just me, and I know the return on Rants isn't shown - but regardless that team still looks like a 1st/2nd round exit.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
The one silver lining is that CMac has shown he's willing to make moves. This will be a big offseason for him and I don't envy his position with all the uncertainty, but it's going to set the trajectory for the next ~3 years with all the NTC/NMC kicking in.

I'm hoping to be surprised and see a major shake-up. I'm expecting more or less the status quo - which probably means Bednar may be an eventual casualty when the inevitable 1st/2nd round exit comes around next postseason.

We have 71 million used for 14 players including Lando and LOC (or 77 million if they don't terminate Nuke's contract). Something is going to have to change to ice a team.

EDIT: Plus they have to re-sign Mitts. Shits going to be tough, CMac has his work cut out for him.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We won't know whether Landeskog will be any good when he finally plays again. That's 7M that we have to take away from the budget and pray that it works out.
My only hope is if he sees that he sucks he'll LTIR himself

The thing is he's been working so hard to come back, I doubt he'd do that.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Lehky - Mack - Drouin
Landy - Mitts - Mikko
Wood - Colton - Foudy
LOC - Ritchie - Kovalenko
Wagner

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Behrens - ???
Jones - Malinski

George/Annunen

That is honestly what I'd probably go with. Give it 20-30 games, find out what kids are gonna stick. Then make moves again at the deadline to fix the holes in the lineup.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
You can't move Sam Girard. You just traded Bowen Byram. Do people forget this team NEEDS fast, puck moving defensemen in order to have success? You don't find those anywhere. You have to keep him.

I just hope CMac has the balls to trade Mikko Rantanen but I doubt he will. We'll probably hear of an extension around September or October that we all hate, and the Avs will be content with being a "good" team for the next 4-5 years while never getting past the 2nd round.

If it was me, I'm trading Rantanen for the biggest haul possible and retooling.

Drouin - MacKinnon - XXX
Lehkonen - Mittelstadt - XXX
Landeskog - Colton - Ritchie
Wood - XXX - LOC

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Behrens - XXX

Georgiev/Someone else if the Avs hate Georgiev but his playoffs honestly earned him another shot because he was good.
This looks about what I'd do. If Rantanen is moved we need a RW back who can immediately take his spot in the line-up. I don't think there's any chance he gets extended, but it is possible that we'll just keep him for next season because that right side is looking very empty.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Maybe it's just me, and I know the return on Rants isn't shown - but regardless that team still looks like a 1st/2nd round exit.
Perhaps. But if, for example, Utah was willing to accept a Mikko Rantanen for Lawson Crouse and Dylan Guenther trade because they want a "superstar" for their new city, you could plug those two into the top six and all of a sudden you'd have an insanely deep top nine.

The ideal trade for me with Rantanen is to acquire an established middle six forward and a young top six forward with high upside. Neither guy would be as good as Rantanen is right now (or maybe ever) but it could make the roster as a whole deeper.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Dump Nuke, re-sign Drouin(So I can buy a jersey worth wearing again), hope that Landy is able to come back at a high end level again(Call me an optimist but I really think he will).

I'd give some of the kids a true look to start the year as well. Kovalenko, Foudy, maybe Ritchie, at least one of Behrens/Malinski. I dont think we have ourselves our own version of Wyatt Johnston by any means... But we wont know unless we give some of the kids we've got a real shot to prove themselves.

I dunno... I get people are disappointed right now. But its not like we were super far off this year. 2OT in game 6 against the Stars who themselves were an incredibly strong team. There's a pretty damn good chance this series was for a chance at the cup finals as both VAN/EDM look considerably weaker.

I wouldn't change much. Just wait and see what Landy can bring us in the fall and go from there. Trading Mikko isn't a realistic scenario.
Dallas is going to be around next year, arguably in a better position with Pavelski earning less. Vegas is still going to be a handful. And while EDM is pretty close to being wrote off they have McDrai and VAN with Demko could easily steal a series.

And that's ignoring whatever team makes it out from the East. I get why we need to dump Nuke, but I just think losing Nuke for Drouin + $2-3 mil still makes this team significantly worse.

But either option carries risk. Running it back you're gambling on staying healthy and hoping the team finds another spark and other teams getting injured. A re-tool has a higher pay-off, but also a bigger chance of blowing up.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Perhaps. But if, for example, Utah was willing to accept a Mikko Rantanen for Lawson Crouse and Dylan Guenther trade because they want a "superstar" for their new city, you could plug those two into the top six and all of a sudden you'd have an insanely deep top nine.

The ideal trade for me with Rantanen is to acquire an established middle six forward and a young top six forward with high upside. Neither guy would be as good as Rantanen is right now (or maybe ever) but it could make the roster as a whole deeper.

I could see it, sometimes you have to sacrifice some high end talent for a more balanced roster so guys like Mack and Makar can play less than 25 minutes a night.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
lets play.

assuming they do their diligence and terminate Nuke contract, then you trade Girard and Georgiev away.

Drouin (4) - Mack (12.6) - Rantanen (9.2)
Lehkonen (4.5) - Mitt (5.8) - Kovalenko (0.8)
Wood (2.5) - Colton (4) - LOC (1)
Martinook (3.5) - Trenin (2) - Hathaway (2.3)
Duhaime (1.5) - Tufte (1)

Toews (7.2) - Makar (9)
Walker (3.5) - Manson (4.5)
Behrens (0.9) - Malinski (0.8)
McIlrath (0.8)

Lankinen/Brossoit/similar goalie (3)
Annunen (0.8)

3M left if my math is on point, so could either bring a more established and expensive goalie, pay more to some of the UFAs, buy tons of candy, whatever.

Reactions: davalanche96

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I thought people called it early in the past but yeah the Avs are about to take a big step back. Was going to be difficult with just Landy. Toss in the Nuke situation and it feels like it's over. Be interesting to see what they do tho.

I'm starting to think they'll lose Mikko for nothing as well. Hope to be wrong but I don't see anyway they actually trade him. I don't think they'll pay him as much as MacKinnon either. I don't think he's giving a discount and given the Avs situation I could see him chasing a bag next year.
Without the cocaine we'd still look good. But on the bright side, at least we have Drouin here who should now get offered a contract to take that spot. Upgrade, downgrade, sidegrade? Better than having to find a new top player to add.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We have 71 million used for 14 players including Lando and LOC (or 77 million if they don't terminate Nuke's contract). Something is going to have to change to ice a team.

EDIT: Plus they have to re-sign Mitts. Shits going to be tough, CMac has his work cut out for him.
It really isn't that dire. They have almost all of the biggest piece signed. If we assumed Drouin/Mitts are re-signed for say a combined $10M, they'd be at:

Lehky - Mack - Drouin
Landy - Mitts - Mikko
Wood - Colton - LOC
???? - ???? - Kovalenko
????

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
???? - ????
????

George/Annunen

That's the entire Top 9F, Top 4D, and both goalies signed. Just pure depth left to be filled. All guys that reasonably could be added for sub $1M. Especially at Forward.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I think the big thing is that you need to acquire guys that fit the mould you mentioned, but that will really battle it out when the going gets tough. Seeing MacK and Rants quit on plays because things weren’t easy was insanely frustrating.

I also think you absolutely need to acquire forwards with high defensive acumen. The guys that may not score, but you put them out there and you know you’re going to have a solid shift where they just frustrate the hell out of the opposing teams best players.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
lets play.

assuming they do their diligence and terminate Nuke contract, then you trade Girard and Georgiev away.

Drouin (4) - Mack (12.6) - Rantanen (9.2)
Lehkonen (4.5) - Mitt (5.8) - Kovalenko (0.8)
Wood (2.5) - Colton (4) - LOC (1)
Martinook (3.5) - Trenin (2) - Hathaway (2.3)
Duhaime (1.5) - Tufte (1)

Toews (7.2) - Makar (9)
Walker (3.5) - Manson (4.5)
Behrens (0.9) - Malinski (0.8)
McIlrath (0.8)

Lankinen/Brossoit/similar goalie (3)
Annunen (0.8)

3M left if my math is on point, so could either bring a more established and expensive goalie, pay more to some of the UFAs, buy tons of candy, whatever.

Not a fan of dumping Girard for Walker. G was really good in these playoffs and Walker was terrible. He just needs to walk.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Dallas is going to be around next year, arguably in a better position with Pavelski earning less. Vegas is still going to be a handful. And while EDM is pretty close to being wrote off they have McDrai and VAN with Demko could easily steal a series.

And that's ignoring whatever team makes it out from the East. I get why we need to dump Nuke, but I just think losing Nuke for Drouin + $2-3 mil still makes this team significantly worse.

But either option carries risk. Running it back you're gambling on staying healthy and hoping the team finds another spark and other teams getting injured. A re-tool has a higher pay-off, but also a bigger chance of blowing up.

It almost entirely comes down to Landeskog. This team this year did not have Landy at all. Not one game. If that guy comes back at anywhere close to the level he was before, we're a completely different team again.

And like I said, call me an optimist but I really think Landy is going to surprise a lot of folks around here next year.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
It almost entirely comes down to Landeskog. This team this year did not have Landy at all. Not one game. If that guy comes back at anywhere close to the level he was before, we're a completely different team again.

And like I said, call me an optimist but I really think Landy is going to surprise a lot of folks around here next year.

That’s asking for a lot for a guy that’s missed two full years of hockey and isn’t exactly getting younger

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
People need to stop writing off Nuke's contract completely. Even if they manage to terminate his contract there's a substantial cap penalty attached to it.

Some of you act like he'll disappear and we'll get all his cap space back.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
People need to stop writing off Nuke's contract completely. Even if they manage to terminate his contract there's a substantial cap penalty attached to it.
Then you just give him to another team for free. I don't see the big issue.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Not a fan of dumping Girard for Walker. G was really good in these playoffs and Walker was terrible. He just needs to walk.
in my scenario, 1.5M cheaper. worth for me. could go to the market and get a similar level D, if you really dont like Walker. imo the important idea is getting cheaper there.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
in my scenario, 1.5M cheaper. worth for me. could go to the market and get a similar level D, if you really dont like Walker. imo the important idea is getting cheaper there.
And considerably worse... Ya, that's a good idea for sure.

I'm betting he's back with us next year. Honestly thought he was very solid all season for us. Wouldn't have any complaints if he came back on another league minimum deal with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad