Rumor: 2024 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Thread: Post Deadline

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I agree. It seems very unlikely they would move Girard after moving Byram, but it also feels like they've changed direction a bit, because it felt unlikely they'd move Byram too. So maybe they have another out of left field move in mind.

So I'd give it a 5% chance or so, because they really do need to find cap space, and there's only a few guys they could move with big enough salaries to find cap room with.

Mikko seems unlikely, moving a guy like Lehkonen would be a terrible idea IMO, and they'd have to find a cheap Manson they could count on to fill that role at 2RD, which could be tough to do. If they find the right deal or set of deals, it's possible it could be easier to replace Girard than Manson or Lehky.

Behrens seems unlikely to have a regular role to start next year. Malinksi is a good blueprint for how they would likely bring along Behrens. Get a few looks, but spend most of the year with the Eagles. I expect Malinski to be a regular at 3RD to start next year though, unless he has a bad camp.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Behrens has some guarantees he’ll at least start the year in the NHL. And I think they’ll probably value the fact that he’s has decent upside in transition offense defense like Girard does, where I don’t think Malinski’s lack of defensive ability would be a lot less attractive for a full time 3rd pair guy.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wouldn’t be surprised if Behrens has some guarantees he’ll at least start the year in the NHL. And I think they’ll probably value the fact that he’s has decent upside in transition offense defense like Girard does, where I don’t think Malinski’s lack of defensive ability would be a lot less attractive for a full time 3rd pair guy.

Perhaps, but Malinski didn't seem to get any assurances, and he was a highly sought after UFA.

His first game was mid November, and then he didn't play again until December.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
AFP Analytics projects Trenin’s next contract at 3x3-3.5 range. Little rich for Avs liking. As much as I’ve liked him game and fit here, pretty sure he’s one of those guys CMac said don’t get attached to lol. Duhaime is someone I think the Avs can keep around. He seems like a good enough 4th liner and he’s not exactly lighting up the scoresheet, so I don’t think his next contract will be a huge increase. Can maybe get him for 1.25-1.4? He makes them tougher to play against and Avs need that.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
AFP Analytics projects Trenin’s next contract at 3x3-3.5 range. Little rich for Avs liking. As much as I’ve liked him game and fit here, pretty sure he’s one of those guys CMac said don’t get attached to lol. Duhaime is someone I think the Avs can keep around. He seems like a good enough 4th liner and he’s not exactly lighting up the scoresheet, so I don’t think his next contract will be a huge increase. Can maybe get him for 1.25-1.4? He makes them tougher to play against and Avs need that.
I don't anticipate any of the rentals (Duhaime/Trenin/Walker) sticking past this season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It'll be too bad if they can't keep Trenin.

He seemed whatever during the regular seasons, but he's been outstanding in the playoffs. He's been what I think they hoped they'd get from Sturm at 4C, and probably more.

Prototypical playoff guy. Heavy body, finishes all his checks, very reliable and smart defensively, and really has an underrated hockey IQ. His offensive instincts are pretty good for a guy in his role.

He's really helped the PK too. He leads all forwards in PK time and they even use him to replace Parise on the second line, to protect the lead at the end games.

Needs to work on his faceoffs though.

LTCPain75

Jul 12, 2022
Only Walker should really be a consideration... and that's only if Manson goes away.

The bottom 6 for next season is already at 4 of 6. Bring up one other prospect and then one cheap option. Then at the deadline spend a 3rd to shore it up.
Is LOC coming back part of your "4 of 6"?

It'll be too bad if they can't keep Trenin.

He seemed whatever during the regular seasons, but he's been outstanding in the playoffs. He's been what I think they hoped they'd get from Sturm at 4C, and probably more.

Prototypical playoff guy. Heavy body, finishes all his checks, very reliable and smart defensively, and really has an underrated hockey IQ. His offensive instincts are pretty good for a guy in his role.

He's really helped the PK too. He leads all forwards in PK time and they even use him to replace Parise on the second line, to protect the lead at the end games.

Needs to work on his faceoffs though.
Agree 100%

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Perhaps, but Malinski didn't seem to get any assurances, and he was a highly sought after UFA.

His first game was mid November, and then he didn't play again until December.
Not to say Malinski wasn’t sought after, because he was but I think Behrens comes a little more sought after I think. He was an assistant captain and one of the top defenders on the recent US world junior teams. He was also voted the best defensive Dman in the NCAA last year. This isn’t to say Malonski isn’t talented or anything, but Behrens just has a more all round upside and a bigger more polished resume that comes with a little bit more leverage imo.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think LOC's a lock for that 3rd line whenever he gets back. Kovalenko might have a better shot at playing on the 2nd line than the 3rd line, if LOC is healthy.

I think they bring back Kiviranta too. He shouldn't cost too much and Bednar likes him. He's been good in the playoffs so far too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cogs retires and the bottom six to start next year is this below. They need a cheap 4th line.

Wood - Colton - LOC
Kivi - Wagner - Kovalenko

Reactions: The Moops

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think they may consider trading Manson, but I don't think injury risk would be the reason. They knew the risk when they signed him, and he was pretty healthy this year.

I agree with the last part though. They need two hard to play against physical D men in the playoffs. They may be able to start the year with one, but they'll need to add another at the deadline.

And if they just bring back JJ (he may retire) or bring in someone else to play on the bottom pair, I'm not sure that's a great idea either, because they need to put Sammy in a position to succeed, and that's with a guy like Manson helping him out, while Sammy helps cover for the physical guy's limitations.

Sammy has never been a good fit with another puck mover IMO. He didn't work well with Makar, and they haven't really gone back to it for years. He didn't work well with Byram and he didn't work well with Malinski.

His biggest strength is transitioning the puck, and if you pair him with someone else like that, either you water down his contribution, or the other PMD he's paired with. It also seems to cause a lot of miscommunications on when he should pinch, which leads to odd man rushes.

When it came out that the Avs were in on Tanev, I legitimately thought it was succession planning for Manson if they could have re-signed him for less than 4 million (age).

Just for clarity, my preference would be to trade Girard. But his stint for substance abuse isn’t helping his value.

But it needs to also be mentioned how June is a significant month regarding trading Manson or Girard. Manson’s full NTC/NMC becomes modified. And Girard has a modified NTC/NMC that activates.

Jones played the first couple of games in Girards place. Is Girard better? Probably? Maybe? But if Girard is better, is the gap 4M? Not really.

What people are saying about it being justified to trade Rantanen for pennies on the dollar because it’s about freeing up cap space is also true about Girard.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I get the desire to not trade these guys. I 100% do... but this idea that they can't be found is kinda crazy and not at all with reality. Both of them were acquired via trade for a reasonable amount. One of the best playoff performers relative to their regular season, Claude Lemieux, was traded 4 times and played for 6 teams. These guys move around and can be found.

It is a cap reality that somebody will be the sacrificial limb. There is not enough space for everyone with Landy coming back (and level of play is TBD, but he's playing next season). So you get into a debate of do you move the high dollar guys like Rants to keep the depth, or do you move 1-2 low dollar guys to keep the stars? There is merit to both sides, but teams, most often, keep the stars.
Ok yes Claude Lemieux is a good example , but usually when a team have this kind of player on their roster they will usually keep them. IF they do trade them away , they will ask for a over paiment. Guys like Artturi Lehkonen bring their game to another level when playoffs start and it's really hard to get a player like him , when you do you keep him. Manson ? he has his flaws but he brings something to the avs that you dont find on the other avs Ds and you need guys like him in the playoffs.

I've been on Samuel Girard side for years , years where i said that they shouldnt trade sammy G.
I think i would trade Sammy G b4 Manson ( for what i stated above ), but one thing is certain i would trade sammy G Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before trading Lehkonen. In fact i'm keeping Lehkonen, i'm not trading him period .

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think LOC's a lock for that 3rd line whenever he gets back. Kovalenko might have a better shot at playing on the 2nd line than the 3rd line, if LOC is healthy.

I think they bring back Kiviranta too. He shouldn't cost too much and Bednar likes him. He's been good in the playoffs so far too.

Wouldn't be surprised if Cogs retires and the bottom six to start next year is this below. They need a cheap 4th line.

Wood - Colton - LOC
Kivi - Wagner - Kovalenko
I don't see Kovalenko ever being a top 6 guy. At least on a cup contending team. He should be penciled in on the 4th line to start next year and go from there.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I know. I'm just referring to where you said he'd be more likely to be on the 2nd line than the 3rd line, which I don't think is the case.

That comment was about LOC being a lock on the 3rd line, not really about Kovy being a 2nd liner.

I don't think anyone is supplanting LOC there while he's here. That line is night and day without him.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I don't anticipate any of the rentals (Duhaime/Trenin/Walker) sticking past this season.
i'm with you on this , i dont think they can keep them either. I would like to keep Trenin but he will probably be too expensive .Walker ? he fits like a glove on this team , but he will be expensive too , unless they trade Sam Girard ( but i didnt crunch the numbers to see if Walker would fit under the cap )

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
When it came out that the Avs were in on Tanev, I legitimately thought it was succession planning for Manson if they could have re-signed him for less than 4 million (age).

Just for clarity, my preference would be to trade Girard. But his stint for substance abuse isn’t helping his value.

But it needs to also be mentioned how June is a significant month regarding trading Manson or Girard. Manson’s full NTC/NMC becomes modified. And Girard has a modified NTC/NMC that activates.

Jones played the first couple of games in Girards place. Is Girard better? Probably? Maybe? But if Girard is better, is the gap 4M? Not really.

What people are saying about it being justified to trade Rantanen for pennies on the dollar because it’s about freeing up cap space is also true about Girard.
I don't think anybody has said that.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I don't think anybody has said that.

A lot of people have said that.

I don't know why you'd do that trade. As others have stated, if you're trading the Moose, you're trying to free up cap space. Trading for Marner doesn't do that, unless you're going to let Marner walk in 2025.

Also, Rants' effort level has been bad for two seasons? His effort level has been uneven for way longer than that. It's who he is. Ya just gotta learn to accept it. That said, I don't know why you'd cite LAST season as a problem. When the team was losing bodies left and right and there was no center depth to speak of, Rants stepped up. Slag him all you want for this season, but it's kinda silly to diss him for last year's effort. He was arguably their best player, he most certainly was for a good stretch there when they almost no other impact players in the lineup.

Lastly, I don't care how talented he is, I want absolutely nothing to do with Mitchell Marner. For a guy who got paid superstar money to play for his hometown team, he sure does come off whiny and petulant. At the risk of sounding cliche, the best players in any sport meet the moment, and he never has, despite oodles of talent and hockey sense to spare. Mikko, on the other hand, has.

So much talk about how players live for the playoffs. Remember, they're literally playing for free right now. Marner comes off as a guy who DREADS the postseason. There were like, two consecutive years where he was so goddamned nervous he launched the puck out of play. And I'm not even talking about a Patrik Nemeth long bomb that goes just over the glass on the far end. He howitzer'd it into the frickin' rafters like he thought the net was near the scoreboard. For such a smart player he sure does play dumb after Game 82.

Would a change of scenery do him some good? Probably. But that's not a guy I'd ever bet on. He's not the primary reason the Leafs continually faceplant in the postseason, but he sure as f*** ain't the solution either.

Bump. @AllAboutAvs

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Ok yes Claude Lemieux is a good example , but usually when a team have this kind of player on their roster they will usually keep them. IF they do trade them away , they will ask for a over paiment. Guys like Artturi Lehkonen bring their game to another level when playoffs start and it's really hard to get a player like him , when you do you keep him. Manson ? he has his flaws but he brings something to the avs that you dont find on the other avs Ds and you need guys like him in the playoffs.

I've been on Samuel Girard side for years , years where i said that they shouldnt trade sammy G.
I think i would trade Sammy G b4 Manson ( for what i stated above ), but one thing is certain i would trade sammy G Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before trading Lehkonen. In fact i'm keeping Lehkonen, i'm not trading him period .
There are plenty of other examples like Pepe too. I totally get the desire to keep these players, but they are not exceptionally hard to get. If given a choice between Lehky and Rants, the choice for most orgs is very clear and it isn’t Lehky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad