2024 Tour de France

Dec 29, 2004
Oh man, sad news Roglic abandoned.

And a bummer that covid seems to be in the peloton. I wonder what kind of measures teams have in place to minimize exposure.
Ayusa just gave a close quarters presser without a mask on to a tight group of journos who weren't wearing masks either.. So, I'd say very little.

• Wow
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Ayusa just gave a close quarters presser without a mask on to a tight group of journos who weren't wearing masks either.. So, I'd say very little.

That's kind of what I figured. Which is insane when you think of the stakes and sponsorship money involved.

Reactions: #37

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
Crazy that any professional cycling team would still think masks are effective after all this time. Can't hurt I guess?

Dec 29, 2004
Crazy that any professional cycling team would still think masks are effective after all this time. Can't hurt I guess?
Well, Ayusa put a mask on right after the presser, just before he embraced his wife (masked) and baby and picked up their dachshund. So, I suppose it is a matter of priorities.

Dec 29, 2004
Pidcock out with COVID.

Geraint Thomas tests positive, rides race anyway.

Not a great day for Ineos.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Pidcock out with COVID.

Geraint Thomas tests positive, rides race anyway.

Not a great day for Ineos.

You'll get fined for riding with the wrong height socks but can ride the Tour de France with Covid? UCI logic.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Didi the Devil is on Zwift

Image 7-13-24 at 10.56 AM.jpeg

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Some idiot holding out crackers in front of pogacar as he goes by and hits him in the face.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Big win for Pocagar. It's still not over but Jonas has almost 2 minutes to make up now.

Agreed. There's a lot of mountains left and then the final TT, but that Pogacar could distance Vingegaard today was a bit surprising.

Matteo Jorgenson with a great ride but Visma is missing Sepp Kuss on these climbs for sure.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Dec 29, 2004
Remco riding himself off the podium, might lose hold of the white jersey soon too.

Was pulling for Healy.

EDIT:
Impressive ride by Rodriguez.

Healy awarded most combative rider, has a look on his face like he has been handed a bronzed turd. Can't say I blame him.

Vingegaard now 2nd in KoM.

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2004
Ouch, carnage from the start. 3km in and riders getting dropped left and right... lots of splits.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Pogi is on another level this year.

Vingegaard is as strong as last year, but looks like UAE and Pogi have found another gear

Almeida and Yates have been great. UAE seems to have gotten better with tactics. Or at least less bad? Pogacar still does things I don't understand (like trying to hang with the sprinters in the final 100m on a stage he has no chance of winning) but has gotten smarter too.

And Visma is definitely not as strong with the absence of Kuss, Wout not in good form and no Roglic. Though Jorgensson has performed admirably.

Today is the most suffering I've ever seen from Vingegaard while riding.

Dec 29, 2004

Chris5225

Dec 29, 2019
Definitely better equipment, nutrition, and training nowadays but still, when multiple people are absolutely annihilating modern records of known opera, it all but confirms that everyone is juiced once again.

I wonder how much of a difference it would have made with Kuss available on a stage like this. Likely Pogi takes it anyway.

Dec 29, 2004
I don't expect much from this until the final sprint. At least the scenery should be nice.

Dec 29, 2004
Disaster for Girmay. Crashed near the end on a roundabout, missed sprint, only has a 32 pts. lead in the Green Jersey competition over Philipsen, and was walking to the podium with a limp.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
So, Pogacar (by 3:44 minutes), Vinegaard, and Remco all broke Pantani's record. It is what it is.

That's what's crazy. Vingegaard is pretty close to being Pantani sized. Imagine if Pantani time trialing like that. (RIP Marco)

And agree with what most others have said. Nutrition has gotten much better, equipment is better. But still... I think they said the top 14 riders all beat Lance Armstrong's record up that climb?

There's so much money involved, the UCI is still a joke and complicit when it comes to testing, so many former doped riders are now involved in managing these teams.

I love the sport, but it definitely is what it is.

Disaster for Girmay. Crashed near the end on a roundabout, missed sprint, only has a 32 pts. lead in the Green Jersey competition over Philipsen, and was walking to the podium with a limp.
I hope he's ok.

Philipssen is a dirty rider and after watching the Netflix series, a baby as well. I'd much rather Girmay hang on to the green jersey and pick up another sprint win.

Dec 29, 2004
Pretty good stage, though it was rather dull until the intermediate sprint was over (Girmay). Good rides by Carapas and S. Yates. Remco had a good day, broke away from the others and he and Pogacar put a little time into Vingegaard. Looks like the crash and the time off have finally caught up to Vingegaard.

I think Girmay has all but secured the Green Jersey, barring a disastor. Other than Remco's ride, I don't really see the GC as the big story of the stage, because nothing really changed. Imho, Carapas and Girmay were the big winners today.

Strange things from UAE today, perhaps sickness has entered their camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad