2024 Team Board Mock Draft

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Why’s that? Only one that hasn’t been very good is the Kiviharju but that poll only had 4 votes and it was a 4 way tie.
look at my previous posts in this thread, one player that should have at least been 2nd or 3rd in voting starting at the Sharks pick and then picked soon after has been barely getting any votes and still hasn't been picked yet.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
look at my previous posts in this thread, one player that should have at least been 2nd or 3rd in voting starting at the Sharks pick and then picked soon after has been barely getting any votes and still hasn't been picked yet.
Russian player falling. Great what else is new? Don’t think Chernyshov is some crazy high end can’t miss prospect. Lots of fans would prefer to avoid the risk that the KHL and current political climate possess especially not being able to talk to the kid and see how much he’d push to come over.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Russian player falling. Great what else is new? Don’t think Chernyshov is some crazy high end can’t miss prospect. Lots of fans would prefer to avoid the risk that the KHL and current political climate possess especially not being able to talk to the kid and see how much he’d push to come over.
Yet Silayev is going top 4. Even though he's not that great.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Silayev is huge and a great skater and very good defensively AND is a dman
He's all that but those types of players rarely get picked 4th OV. If he had proven that he has more offense in his game then he would definitely be worth it.

The only reason he would go would go 4th is if Ottawa had that pick because they are the definition of "Size lol".

spfan

May 4, 2009
Silayev is huge and a great skater and very good defensively AND is a dman
Yeah, I'm aware why he's going to go high. But it's funny when Michkov drops cause he's "3 years away" and Silayev is 2 years away, but the contract and Russian factor apparently aren't factors for him. But it's ironic because Michkov was legit the #2 player of that draft class. Where as Silayev, not bad or anything, but he's not nearly the #2 guy in my opinion. Plenty of independent scouts rank him lower too. He's more Zadorov than Hedman.

He's all that but those types of players rarely get picked 4th OV. If he had proven that he has more offense in his game then he would definitely be worth it.

The only reason he would go would go 4th is if Ottawa had that pick because they are the definition of "Size lol".
He will go that high. He shouldn't because he's not that great, but he will because NHL GM's overvalue size.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, I'm aware why he's going to go high. But it's funny when Michkov drops cause he's "3 years away" and Silayev is 2 years away, but the contract and Russian factor apparently aren't factors for him. But it's ironic because Michkov was legit the #2 player of that draft class. Where as Silayev, not bad or anything, but he's not nearly the #2 guy in my opinion. Plenty of independent scouts rank him lower too. He's more Zadorov than Hedman.

He will go that high. He shouldn't because he's not that great, but he will because NHL GM's overvalue size.

Personally I think HFers underrate size. But Silayev is one of the least dynamic prospects that I've ever seen get this kind of attention. People are hoping on nothing but air that he develops offensive awareness.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
People always freak out about 18 year old defencemen posting mediocre point totals in pro leagues going high. Recently, more often than not, these guys turn out to be studs.

Seider, Nemec, Reinbacher, etc.

Silayev is going to be a really good player. People and fans just obsess over point totals and the really good defensive players in the league go under appreciated for how much they contribute to winning. And the fact people say he’s not dynamic is hilarious. He had one of the best statistical seasons for a KHL draft eligible player. Period. Let alone a defencemen. It’s almost like the scouts who actually watch the games are more informed than the idiots like Pronman who are wrong year after year.

Reactions: Blueston

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People always freak out about 18 year old defencemen posting mediocre point totals in pro leagues going high. Recently, more often than not, these guys turn out to be studs.

Seider, Nemec, Reinbacher, etc.

Silayev is going to be a really good player. People and fans just obsess over point totals and the really good defensive players in the league go under appreciated for how much they contribute to winning. And the fact people say he’s not dynamic is hilarious. He had one of the best statistical seasons for a KHL draft eligible player. Period. Let alone a defencemen. It’s almost like the scouts who actually watch the games are more informed than the idiots like Pronman who are wrong year after year.

This is rich.

You're making an argument based on Silayev's superlative KHL stats, and at the same time accusing people of basing on their negative judgments on his stats, when it is precisely because he shows little offensive skill in the viewings that many of us have soured on him. I watched his whole MHL playoff run and he did not try anything offensively.

It's going on six months since his flurry of points at the start of the KHL season, so perhaps my memory is strained, but my recollection is that those points didn't prove much skill, it was mostly just point shots that plinko'd in. Prior to that he never showed offensive ability, and since then he hasn't shown any either. It looks like a random blip.

Silayev is not in the same category as Seider, Nemec, or Reinbacher. Those are players with at least some semblance of deception and small area skill. Those are players with great puck carrying ability. Silayev doesn't have that.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
This is rich.

You're making an argument based on Silayev's superlative KHL stats, and at the same time accusing people of basing on their negative judgments on his stats, when it is precisely because he shows little offensive skill in the viewings that many of us have soured on him. I watched his whole MHL playoff run and he did not try anything offensively.

It's going on six months since his flurry of points at the start of the KHL season, so perhaps my memory is strained, but my recollection is that those points didn't prove much skill, it was mostly just point shots that plinko'd in. Prior to that he never showed offensive ability, and since then he hasn't shown any either. It looks like a random blip.

Silayev is not in the same category as Seider, Nemec, or Reinbacher. Those are players with at least some semblance of deception and small area skill. Those are players with great puck carrying ability. Silayev doesn't have that.
Actually my argument is the opposite, that he plays in a pro league. And the offence for these guys comes later when playing in a pro league. And that every time scouts fall in love with these guys it’s usually cause they are really good. My point is that people are focusing on his counting stats cause that’s why internet experts do. But his counting stats aren’t even bad. Add that to the fact he’s 6’7 and is still adjusting to his body, look at the takes of guys like Lamoureux, and Simashev at the time they were drafted. Both were considered terrible picks. Both will probably end up at 2/3 defencemen.

Look at the reaction to all of the players mentioned. Extremely negative, called reaches, at the time they were drafted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Michkov did not drop cause he's 3 years away.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Michkov dropped because he refused to interview with teams. Not the same situation. If Silayev refuses to interview with teams next week when he’s here then you’ll see a similar drop.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Michkov dropped because he refused to interview with teams. Not the same situation. If Silayev refuses to interview with teams next week when he’s here then you’ll see a similar drop.
Right. It's also the case that Michkov was really only in play for SJ, MTL, ARI. ANA, CBJ aren't going to pass on two "number one overall in a normal year" guys in Carlsson/Fantilli. He 100% told ARI he didn't want to play there, and I still suspect he might have said the same to SJ (that's not confirmed). So now you're just looking at MTL, and they passed for whatever reason (attitude, compete, Russia...). Michkov didn't drop from "2 to 7", he basically just dropped past MTL (and maybe SJ).

The combine rumor mill seems to indicate that Silayev and Demidov both might drop farther than people think.

Reactions: majormajor

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Right. It's also the case that Michkov was really only in play for SJ, MTL, ARI. ANA, CBJ aren't going to pass on two "number one overall in a normal year" guys in Carlsson/Fantilli. He 100% told ARI he didn't want to play there, and I still suspect he might have said the same to SJ (that's not confirmed). So now you're just looking at MTL, and they passed for whatever reason (attitude, compete, Russia...). Michkov didn't drop from "2 to 7", he basically just dropped past MTL (and maybe SJ).

The combine rumor mill seems to indicate that Silayev and Demidov both might drop farther than people think.
Why?

spfan

May 4, 2009
Personally I think HFers underrate size. But Silayev is one of the least dynamic prospects that I've ever seen get this kind of attention. People are hoping on nothing but air that he develops offensive awareness.
I don't really agree about HF being like that. It seems like a lot are just following the more well known sources with Silayev for example.

Sure, it's nice if the player has size, but they need the skill, talent, IQ, skating too. Lindstrom is deservingly ranked high.

Dean Letourneau is now being more hyped up too because he's a giant as well.

Michkov did not drop cause he's 3 years away.
I would say it had to do with it. That's what all the talk was. And it's a common draft narrative to be shy to draft players that are locked in a contract like that. Not just with Michkov. But I always find it funny because most players are multiple years away from the NHL anyways.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Size was a factor too. People have been saying Russian factor in the draft for a long time. But it's funny there seems to be no talk about that with Silayev. And the reason seems to be because he's gigantic. And it's not to crap all over him. Yeah it's nice he has size. He's likely a safe pick to be an NHLer. He's got good skating for being huge and he's sound defensively. But the high upside isn't there. Demidov and Michkov>>>Silayev.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Because they were elite tier centers. Like it or not, GMs typically pick centers before wingers, all other things equal. And with that, I'm going to bow out of any further Michkov discussion, because I already ignored that thread months ago and I have made it clear many times how annoying I (and others) find it that Michkov bleeds into every other thread due to a very small number of posters.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would say it had to do with it. That's what all the talk was. And it's a common draft narrative to be shy to draft players that are locked in a contract like that. Not just with Michkov. But I always find it funny because most players are multiple years away from the NHL anyways.

I had a similar thought - the 3 year wait is a non-issue when he is being compared to guys like Smith or the two D-men that will all need a few years to get going anyways.

There were many other concerns with Michkov - his tiny size and frequent injuries being perhaps the biggest. He seemed mercurial, he was telling teams not to pick him, there were questions about how team oriented he was, whether his teammates liked being with him, etc... This is all normal stuff that a prospect would drop for. He really needs a special situation as well with teammates who can defend, and forecheck, get the puck up ice for him.

But on HF people just talked the 3 year wait to death, and ignored the other stuff. There were even gloating posts after the recent news that he might be coming over soon, as if the one thing Michkov dropped for turned out to be not true.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Actually my argument is the opposite, that he plays in a pro league. And the offence for these guys comes later when playing in a pro league. And that every time scouts fall in love with these guys it’s usually cause they are really good. My point is that people are focusing on his counting stats cause that’s why internet experts do. But his counting stats aren’t even bad. Add that to the fact he’s 6’7 and is still adjusting to his body, look at the takes of guys like Lamoureux, and Simashev at the time they were drafted. Both were considered terrible picks. Both will probably end up at 2/3 defencemen.

Look at the reaction to all of the players mentioned. Extremely negative, called reaches, at the time they were drafted.

Well it also must be coming later for Silayev because he doesn't score at all in his junior games either. He doesn't have any pretense of being a scorer. He has the playstyle of Erik Gudbranson.

Most of us prospect diehards are not focusing on his counting stats. If we were, we'd think more highly of Silayev's offense, because his season point totals in the KHL were very good for his age and position (thanks to that early season random scoring blip).

Watch more closely - notice how deceptive Simashev is when carrying the puck or when facing down the forecheck. Silayev doesn't have deception and he can't make plays like that.

Reactions: Realgud

spfan

May 4, 2009
I had a similar thought - the 3 year wait is a non-issue when he is being compared to guys like Smith or the two D-men that will all need a few years to get going anyways.

There were many other concerns with Michkov - his tiny size and frequent injuries being perhaps the biggest. He seemed mercurial, he was telling teams not to pick him, there were questions about how team oriented he was, whether his teammates liked being with him, etc... This is all normal stuff that a prospect would drop for. He really needs a special situation as well with teammates who can defend, and forecheck, get the puck up ice for him.

But on HF people just talked the 3 year wait to death, and ignored the other stuff. There were even gloating posts after the recent news that he might be coming over soon, as if the one thing Michkov dropped for turned out to be not true.
Yeah I mean size made him less attractive to NHL GM's too. And he's not great defensively. And even that he's a winger. But it's superstar potential. You should take that high in my opinion. A player like Smith was really just as "risky" outside of the contract stuff in terms of on ice stuff to me.

It's nothing new, but it's just crazy that Silayev is gonna go super high and yet he's not that talented and Michkov dropped and Demidov could only go in the 5ish range too.

Reactions: majormajor

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't really agree about HF being like that. It seems like a lot are just following the more well known sources with Silayev for example.

Sure, it's nice if the player has size, but they need the skill, talent, IQ, skating too. Lindstrom is deservingly ranked high.

Dean Letourneau is now being more hyped up too because he's a giant as well.

He's a player I wouldn't mind picking in the late 2nd early 3rd round. It's a shoot for the stars pick who probably won't be ready for the NHL for years.

He however is probably going to be picked in the late 1st round which is insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad