Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am not saying LFC's interest is wrong or unfounded; all I am saying is that you can have all the interest in the world, but that doesn't mean a player wants to join a club. Remember all the Vlahovic rumours to Arsenal a couple of transfer windows back?

All the rumours we have is Liverpool wants him, nothing saying the player wants to go to Liverpool. Big difference.
My point is more, I doubt LFC would have leaked their interest to the media especially with Edwards/Hughes now in charge who are very strict in the way they operate if they had not received positive feedback from Zubi and/or his agent about joining them.

The only other possible scenario is that they are very advanced on another player (unknown) and they want the attention on Zubimendi while they work behind the scene to get that player without other teams sniffing in.

I think the first scenario is the most likely outcome and they are very advanced with Zubimendi.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It's the 60 million euro release clause that's the issue. United at least seem to be wary of that. Though they paid more than the clause for Zirkzee but were able to negotiate it to multiple installments.
As a professional accountant I can assure you that there is a way around release clause to purchase a player in installment if you go through a third party. They have to pay a 'premium' but it is doable. I think club avoid it because it requires a lot of work behind the scene with lots of paperwork + legal fees + interest fees and most of the time you would prefer to negociate a deal directly with similar condition (higher fees) with the other team than doing all thay work with that 3rd party. The clubs doing that do need to be solvable and have great financial guarantees though.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Jussi

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's the 60 million euro release clause that's the issue. United at least seem to be wary of that. Though they paid more than the clause for Zirkzee but were able to negotiate it to multiple installments.
Release clause appeals to LFC. We like those

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Maybe he wants to go to a team that has won the Champions League? Maybe he wants to follow Xabi Alonso footsteps. Who knows? Can’t fault them for trying.

Have the turn tables turned?

That’s your source from earlier

Basque source thinks it’s possible too

Not that I have any idea how good the Basque sources are

I mean, maybe Liverpool can convince him, but this post reeks of desperation. None of those things you listed are even significant nowadays. LFC won with a retired coach, and Xabi is a long-distant memory for the club as Henry/Wright is for Arsenal.

Ornstein mentioned it yesterday, so see if he has any updates on that front. I didn't see if there was any major news from David.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Javi Guerra to Atlético is finally off. Never made sense after getting Gallagher.

Now, if Zubi and Merino goes... Easily he could be Real Sociedad bound

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't see the hypocricy? Arsenal went after Zubimendi, and he decided to stay in Spain. Why would I believe that LFC is this magical club that will be able to attract him if Arsenal, who currently has a better project in a much more attractive city, wasn't able to? All the legit reports we have seen so far have ONLY been from the stance that "Liverpool is going after Zubimendi," nothing the other way around.

BUT Zubi isn't a player I am willing to die on a hill on, so if LFC gets them, then all power to them.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, maybe Liverpool can convince him, but this post reeks of desperation. None of those things you listed are even significant nowadays. LFC won with a retired coach, and Xabi is a long-distant memory for the club as Henry/Wright is for Arsenal.
LFC won several times with several retired coaches

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Zubimendi WOULD leave to Liverpool so now clubs have to agree a fee or pay the clause. Per Ornstein.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
And the food. My word.

Good burgers eh?

Javi Guerra to Atlético is finally off. Never made sense after getting Gallagher.

Now, if Zubi and Merino goes... Easily he could be Real Sociedad bound

As I posted last week, they’re already linked with him. I’ll just add that it wouldn’t necessarily take just one of them to leave either for them to sign him.

The only time Barca have a normal transfer it’s usually one that’s a stupid purchase to begin with. Any transfer that makes sense has to be Full of incompetence and a rollacoster.

Full of incompetence and a rollercoaster or some supporters and journalists aren’t smart enough to read the situation? I’ll go with the latter. As I’ve been saying, nothing will be resolved prior to his returning from vacation. When did he return from vacation? THIS WEEK. Any expectation of anything prior to this week is ridiculous and the fault of the person with that expectation.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Good burgers eh?

As I posted last week, they’re already linked with him. I’ll just add that it wouldn’t necessarily take just one of them to leave either for them to sign him.

Full of incompetence and a rollercoaster or some supporters and journalists aren’t smart enough to read the situation? I’ll go with the latter. As I’ve been saying, nothing will be resolved prior to his returning from vacation. When did he return from vacation? THIS WEEK. Any expectation of anything prior to this week is ridiculous and the fault of the person with that expectation.
I have zero trust in Deco. Barca feeds Romero his info. They were not confident in signing him and now say talks back on… until they build the trust back this board is completely useless to me. We are weeks until the league starts and they hardly finalized the squad. With the likes of Lenglet still on the team.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I have zero trust in Deco. Barca feeds Romero his info. They were not confident in signing him and now say talks back on… until they build the trust back this board is completely useless to me. We are weeks until the league starts and they hardly finalized the squad. With the likes of Lenglet still on the team.

Not sure what all that has to do with the transfer of Nico Williams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad