Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Playing for Cholo is a hazard for most footballers. I think he’s safe but he won’t be able to hit his potential. They’re not winning shit lol

Selling some kid to chelski helps. We still have Langlet on the team
Cholo doesn't use the system everyone thinks he does anymore. The old park the bus style might show up on occasion for road CL matches when needed but this is far from the Atleti of the past decade. Gallagher, Lino, DePaul and Llorente in the midfield is nothing like the midfield Cholo always featured.

Last piece is selling Grizi to LAFC. I wish they did it now but sounds like that's the MLS's big winter deal. Maybe they shelter his minutes so his declining game isn't so obvious before getting a nice fee.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Cholo doesn't use the system everyone thinks he does anymore. The old park the bus style might show up on occasion for road CL matches when needed but this is far from the Atleti of the past decade. Gallagher, Lino, DePaul and Llorente in the midfield is nothing like the midfield Cholo always featured.

Last piece is selling Grizi to LAFC. I wish they did it now but sounds like that's the MLS's big winter deal. Maybe they shelter his minutes so his declining game isn't so obvious before getting a nice fee.
He still plays a brand of footy that makes one weep

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
we didn't need to spend a cent this summer, tbh.

we finished 5 points off fourth, while experiencing major growing pains throughout most of the season, and without a guy who was meant to be our star player for basically the whole season, our captain for basically the whole season, and (potentially) our best centre back for half the season. no overhauls necessary! if the season had lasted even three more matchweeks we would've finished fourth.

instead we're run by idiots! so there's no year-to-year consistency, we're doing another full overhaul which will require more transition and more growing pains.

we could've had our only signings this summer be, like, Joselu and Hojbjerg, and we would've been set

but alas
we definitely needed a winger and a starting level cb to replace the quality lost over the past few years

and it’s funny because those are the two things we haven’t done yet

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
He fits right in there, until he gets fired three months into the season.
(One of the reasons) I hate Chelsea because eventually they will fall upwards into a good season(s) despite all this

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Xavi Simmons loaned to Leipzig for another year.
No option.

Also Pacho near PSG.
They were looking for a left footed CB with Kimpembe injuring himself again.

Reactions: les Habs

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Ezequiel Fernandez, the only Argentinian who impressed me against France in the Olympic squad unfortunately signs for a second tier Saudi club for almost 19 million. Such a shame, he's only 22 and he's gonna play with a bunch of no names and has beens like Auba and Nacho

I was going to pick him up in my keeper league and didn’t, but was then going to trade for him a month or so back if I could. Glad I didn’t. The kids can alway leave after a couple of years, but I wouldn’t trust their mentality after leaving.

The problem was signing Lewandowski and giving that damned contract. We’re stuck with him. Like I said at the time, wouldn’t have signed him much less for that much.

This is a great signing for them, even though I get your doubts about him playing for Cholo. I genuinely think they just became contenders for La Liga, like real contenders.

By the way, they have spent almost 200 million euros net spending. Where is the FFP for them?

200 million for Atleti? Where are you seeing that? Oh, counting Gallagher too I’m guessing. Even if they sign Alvarez they’ll likely cancel out a good portion of the cost with the Omorodion sale. Maybe they move someone else? If not, I agree. Was just thinking the same about PSG the other day as well.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Look at their signings.
Massive upgrades with Julian and Sorloth over Morata and Correa.
Gallagher and Le Normand.
Samu Lino should take another step forward (he's already a fantastic player), Barrios as well.

I think you're underrating them. They only lost Savic and Hermoso, and Le Normand is a more realiable player than them. Their only weak point is Gimenez health

Sorloth isn’t elite and Le Normand isn’t either.

I don’t see it. Maybe 2nd, but that’s definitely a maybe.

Wait till we buy Felix for 30 mil or so

Actually, I feel the longer we wait and if we miss out on Nico Williams and Dani Olmo a loan deal similar to last season might make sense.

No option.

Also Pacho near PSG.

Wow. Expected Pacho might get another move, but not this.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Was just thinking the same about PSG the other day as well.
PSG lost Mbappe (huge paycheck) and got the Ekitike money.
The year before, they lost Neymar, Messi and Verratti salaries. Huge money. And got 200+ of transfer money.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
PSG lost Mbappe (huge paycheck) and got the Ekitike money.
The year before, they lost Neymar, Messi and Verratti salaries. Huge money. And got 200+ of transfer money.

Wages are one thing and that much is obvious. However, per Transfermarkt they spend nearly 250 million last season and this season are already at almost 65 million this season with Ekitike’s fee. Of course they have others such as Ugarte who can drum up cash, but still plenty of other rumored incomings.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Lille are adamant on selling Jonathan David, however he just turned down Roma. Supposedly he doesn't mind running down the last year of his contract. Spurs are monitoring the situation.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Sorloth isn’t elite and Le Normand isn’t either.

I don’t see it. Maybe 2nd, but that’s definitely a maybe.
Sorloth isn't elite but an upgrade over Morata IMO. And Alvarez a massive one over Correa.

Le Normand is not elite, but more than good enough to play for a winning team, as shown in the euros

Reactions: luiginb

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So, Chelsea bought an awful player to allow Atletico to buy a superior player in his place?

It makes you wonder what's behind it all, but for the time being I'm willing to accept that losing Alvarez makes City a bit worse (until they use that money/FFP room to sign another stud of course), and I could alllmost see that making sense for Chelsea's management as well somehow? But most likely it's somehow part of the agreement for Atleti buying Gallagher in a way that makes sense for the clubs financially :dunno:

but it all betrays the very silly faulty and (crucially) uninformed by how sports work logic at the basis of everything blueco has done: load up on prospects and they'll develop and you'll be set.

finance bros think of a prospect as an asset, but not just in the purely financial sense which has been widely discussed (player has this value which will increase and we can resell). they also think that prospects develop like assets develop, without the contingencies that are required to produce that development. you can buy a house and sit on it and forces totally external to you will increase the value of that house. they do not understand that prospect development requires a lot of things to go right and requires a lot of active work. a key component of that active work is surrounding prospects with experienced players who can provide guidance.

chelsea! need! veterans! CHELSEA! NEED! VETERANS!

Unfortunately for you guys, there's a lot of ways "just getting a veteran" can be done wrong, as we've seen plenty in hockey as well

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
we didn't need to spend a cent this summer, tbh.

we finished 5 points off fourth, while experiencing major growing pains throughout most of the season, and without a guy who was meant to be our star player for basically the whole season, our captain for basically the whole season, and (potentially) our best centre back for half the season. no overhauls necessary! if the season had lasted even three more matchweeks we would've finished fourth.

instead we're run by idiots! so there's no year-to-year consistency, we're doing another full overhaul which will require more transition and more growing pains.

we could've had our only signings this summer be, like, Joselu and Hojbjerg, and we would've been set

but alas
was curious about this, so just did some counting.

colwill played almost exactly half the season (1798 minutes of 3420). chelsea conceded 25 goals with colwill on the pitch and 38 with him off it. that's a crazy split, especially given that the way his season worked out he basically played every team once (the only teams he played twice were fulham, luton, palace, and brentford), so it's not as if he missed multiple games against the top sides disproportionately.

with colwill on the pitch, a goal against every 72 minutes
without him, a goal against every 43 minutes

Unfortunately for you guys, there's a lot of ways "just getting a veteran" can be done wrong, as we've seen plenty in hockey as well
you must pick your veteran carefully

mfilipo3

Jan 13, 2017
No option.

Also Pacho near PSG.
What’s going on with Skriniar? Will he be sold? Seems like he has never been given a chance at PSG and surpassed by others in the depth chart. He seemed to be better on the right of the 3 man defence. For club and country he has underwhelmed in a back 4 in my opinion

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Lille reaches the CL maybe there. Even then it's doubtful.
OM are building an impressive team. Without Europe. With De Zerbi. Yeah I'd go with them. If he can handle the pressure there.

Thanks. The kid is hitting the stage in his career where he just needs to play. So I’m more concerned with his competition for minutes than I am the service he’d get if given steady minutes.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They could’ve done me Equi, Argentina and themselves a favour last week. Jack asses.
100%, as we discussed. Maybe Vatela now though?

The “fun” thing is genuinely nobody knows who Ornstein is referring to. This is also the non- fun thing because the online fan base of going to be to like chickens with their heads cut off.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Lopez on his way to dragging Spain to a gold medal but it’s ok we should spend over 60 million on Cesc 2.0. I owe Font an apology. Get Laporta and his friends out

100%, as we discussed. Maybe Vatela now though?

The “fun” thing is genuinely nobody knows who Ornstein is referring to. This is also the non- fun thing because the online fan base of going to be to like chickens with their heads cut off.
I know they had interest but will they spend that much to get Varela?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Lopez on his way to dragging Spain to a gold medal but it’s ok we should spend over 60 million on Cesc 2.0. I owe Font an apology. Get Laporta and his friends out
Been very impressed with Lopez
I know they had interest but will they spend that much to get Varela?
That’s the thing. No one really knows. Whoever this player is might wind up being the first Slot era signing so maybe they are trying to plant a flag, but also they have no outgoings and don’t think there is a suitor for Diaz, PSG going Pacho instead of Konate, etc; so don’t know if big money is coming in. Only sale links (besides Gomez as part of an Anthony Gordon deal) really have been lowball offers for Van den Berg, Endo and Fabio Carvalho. And I’m not selling Carvalho unless they can bring in Anthony Gordon (they definitely want Gordon) , but again don’t think they have “room” for Gordon unless Diaz leaves so….

This popped up out of no where and no one has any leads. I will say whoever they add needs to be good on the ball AND cover a lot of ground. Basically if they are going for a 6, they need someone that does Alexis’ running backwards for him; BUT they can’t have a guy like Ugarte who is going to treat the ball like a grenade either

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

That’s what it’s all about. Getting their boy home and a splash in the market.

Been very impressed with Lopez

That’s the thing. No one really knows. Whoever this player is might wind up being the first Slot era signing so maybe they are trying to plant a flag, but also they have no outgoings and don’t think there is a suitor for Diaz, PSG going Pacho instead of Konate, etc; so don’t know if big money is coming in. Only sale links (besides Gomez as part of an Anthony Gordon deal) really have been lowball offers for Van den Berg, Endo and Fabio Carvalho. And I’m not selling Carvalho unless they can bring in Anthony Gordon (they definitely want Gordon) , but again don’t think they have “room” for Gordon unless Diaz leaves so….

This popped up out of no where and no one has any leads. I will say whoever they add needs to be good on the ball AND cover a lot of ground. Basically if they are going for a 6, they need someone that does Alexis’ running backwards for him; BUT they can’t have a guy like Ugarte who is going to treat the ball like a grenade either
lol this is very much Equi which makes me wanna cry. Palacios is another that would do well but I’d steer clear if I was a lfc fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad