Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Is there any reason to think RVN is actually good at coaching forwards other than the simple assumption that because he was a forward, he'd be good at it?

I think he did well as PSV manager couple of seasons ago, when PSV were top scorers in the league with 89 goals. It was Xavi Simons breakthrough season (if you count him as a forward) with 19 goals and he revitalised Luuk de Jong for 14 goals.

Actually I think he did better than Ten Hag or Slot, given the resources at his disposal, even if he didn't win the title but finished 2nd. He quit because PSV wouldn't back him in the transfer market for the next season.

Reactions: luiginb and Jussi

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean it’s your own fault. United should clearly win or compete by just having one playmaker and one striker… I rag on united a lot but getting another player to take pressure off Bruno isn’t something rival fans can laugh at.
There’s so much to rag on United for… we clearly have plenty of work to do. But all this uproar for signing a playmaking forward is kinda funny to me, whether or not it works out.

Reactions: luiginb and Jussi

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think he did well as PSV manager couple of seasons ago, when PSV were top scorers in the league with 89 goals. It was Xavi Simons breakthrough season (if you count him as a forward) with 19 goals and he revitalised Luuk de Jong for 14 goals.

Actually I think he did better than Ten Hag or Slot, given the resources at his disposal, even if he didn't win the title but finished 2nd. He quit because PSV wouldn't back him in the transfer market for the next season.
De Jong's last season at PSV prior to 22-23 saw him scoring 28 goals. He scored 6 with Barcelona in 3 fewer games the year prior, and my guess is a lot fewer minutes. I'm not sure I'm giving Ruud credit there.
Is there any reason NOT to believe he's capable of doing it?
Sure. Often gifted players make terrible coaches.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
De Jong's last season at PSV prior to 22-23 saw him scoring 28 goals. He scored 6 with Barcelona in 3 fewer games the year prior, and my guess is a lot fewer minutes. I'm not sure I'm giving Ruud credit there.

Sure. Often gifted players make terrible coaches.

You have to consider De Jong's age though when comparing to those previous seasons in the Eredivisie. Granted, he scored some vital goals in Spain, so he wasn't washed up by any means when he returned to Holland.

But he got a regular spot in the PSV line-up and has kept on scoring since. Obviously only those present in the team training and meetings know the exact effect van Nisterooy had on him, but looking from outside it seems to have been positive.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am not the biggest fan of Gakpo but watching him playing with Netherlands made me realize he is a great crosser of the ball and he has been not used properly with LFC. I think under Slot he will be the new LW and Diaz or Nunez will play striker.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
There’s so much to rag on United for… we clearly have plenty of work to do. But all this uproar for signing a playmaking forward is kinda funny to me, whether or not it works out.
A lot of people will eat crow on Zirkzee. I fully expect him to replace Hojlund by winter.

Beste only cost Benfica 8 mil, what a deal!

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
DiMarzio reporting that Greenwood is taking a few days (until Monday) to decide what to do following the mayor of Marseille's recent comments.

Napoli are interested in adding an attacker to bolster Conte's side.

If the OM deal falls through, Napoli may attempt a similar deal but with payments structured over time.

• Wow
Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I am not the biggest fan of Gakpo but watching him playing with Netherlands made me realize he is a great crosser of the ball and he has been not used properly with LFC. I think under Slot he will be the new LW and Diaz or Nunez will play striker.
I still don’t think there is a ton of evidence Gakpo is athletic enough to play LW in the PL. PL is a lot faster than international games. Still think he is a tweener

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Sergio Gomez from City to Real Sociedad for 9 mil. Good business for the Basques for a player that's very versatile.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Can't say I expected the mayor of Marseille to have that much moral fiber but good on him.

Yeah, I think it's a clear instance of where we see how European football clubs are a lot more community-based/intricately linked to their cities than say, American sports franchises.

It really doesn't feel out of place for the mayor of Marseille to try and shotcall here.

Reactions: maclean

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah, I think it's a clear instance of where we see how European football clubs are a lot more community-based/intricately linked to their cities than say, American sports franchises.

It really doesn't feel out of place for the mayor of Marseille to try and shotcall here.
Tbf the holdup on the deal is currently with Greenwood not the club itself. But either way good on the mayor I do agree.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
All that character assassination only to let him back into the team without the demanded apology

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad