Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Open Window Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
At least United is finally negotiating right. Old negation tactic by United was “We want 70M” “okay” “actually 80M” “okay”
United is also trying to get a defender that plays the same position as their (arguably) best defender, and are going to spend a chunk doing so….so maybe not learning all the right lessons

I don’t think any of those players go for (much) less than Branthwaite either. Feels like they are just trying to put pressure on Everton. Personally I can’t believe no one else would be trying for Branthwaite and giving Utd a free run at him

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
United is also trying to get a defender that plays the same position as their (arguably) best defender, and are going to spend a chunk doing so….so maybe not learning all the right lessons

I don’t think any of those players go for (much) less than Branthwaite either. Feels like they are just trying to put pressure on Everton. Personally I can’t believe no one else would be trying for Branthwaite and giving Utd a free run at him
Considering United has one CB that is any good, I’m okay with them buying a 21 year old CB that looks good.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
United need players everywhere. Buying a young CB is good at that price though? Woof I’d rather buy French cheaper and probably better.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
At least United is finally negotiating right. Old negation tactic by United was “We want 70M” “okay” “actually 80M” “okay”
It's usually more like
united: "hey we want this guy"
other team: "ok, 70 million"
united: "no way he's only worth 30m to us"
other team: "still 70 million"
united: "we can maybe go up to 35m, no higher"
*2 days pass*
united: "ok maybe we can go up to 50m, but that's final"
other team: "bro it's still 70"
* 2 days pass*
united: "Look we can't go any higher than 60 mil"
other team: "still 70"
united: "How about 65m + 15m in bonuses that are fairly easily achievable"
other team: "uhh.....sure"

Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Considering United has one CB that is any good, I’m okay with them buying a 21 year old CB that looks good.
United need players everywhere. Buying a young CB is good at that price though? Woof I’d rather buy French cheaper and probably better.
They need better players everywhere, and they are going to start the summer by buying a player at the position that they are the strongest. This is how the conversations of “Utd have no depth” and “wish United spent (even) more” conversations happen. In a summer where spending, for everyone, will be impacted by PSR rules I probably wouldn’t be spending money on a position where one of my best players plays if I know I need depth elsewhere. Just saying.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
@Jussi , sure Ratcliffe can clear the debt. Any buyer can. That doesn’t change the fact that it’s a billion and that’s not to mention the rest of the outlay they’d have to make to take total ownership. Look at what Ratcliffe has already put in for his share, extrapolate and then add the debt.

Ummm…

I hope he follows the Odegaard path.

I don’t see that happening. That said, with all the signings Madrid seem to be making or are rumored to be making there could be some more Odegaards to be had. Even if they’re not as good, still some players that other clubs might benefit from.

Sometimes the player is too good to ruin even for the Madrid machine. Let’s hope it’s not the case here :D

Well Varane really never lived up to the hype. Talent was there and to be fair he suffered from injuries, but his career should have been more.

So was Ansu Fati (among others).

Not every hyped player is going to develop.

And Fati very, very obviously has had his career greatly affected by injuries. Incredible someone would make your post without at the very least mentioning it.

Looming forward to see if Barca and ESP learned anything from Fati, Pedri & Gavi when it comes to their handling of Yamal. Yamal to me has a higher ceiling to all those guys; especially now

Not sure why you lumped Gavi in there. And while Barca is partially responsible for Pedri, I think all those cases are different if the players don’t play for Spain.

My favorite is Riqui "MLS" Puig.

Where Rigui “only bangers” Puig is clearly one of the best players in the league and has demonstrated he could easily move back to Europe if he wanted.

You can thank that coach “over there” Koeman.

Could be worse we could have a “starlet” coaching at 35….

f***ing Koeman. And now he’s running his mouth about Frenkie. How about all the players injured under your glorious tenure?

To be fair Puig could definitely play for a midtable La Liga club, but he chose the bling bling and the kaching (sort of like that Celta Vigo kid who signed for Al-Kebab in his prime)

Correct, and easily. The only thing is he’d have to have cover in midfield and see a lot of the ball. Money, I’m not so sure. My guess is he’s getting slightly more there than he would in Spain. Of course from an overall financial viewpoint when you factor in the cost of living in LA I would imagine a move back to Spain would make more sense. I think it’s more about being a star, being a team leader and really carving out his own legacy. People like to neg on that and it’s fair game to comment on MLS’ level, but it’s his life and whatever makes him happy.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
And Fati very, very obviously has had his career greatly affected by injuries. Incredible someone would make your post without at the very least mentioning it.
Okay, sure. If you'd prefer Deulofeo, or Munir, or Romeu, or Muniesa, or etc. The point is that young players sometimes bust. And yes, you can point to Pedri, or Gavi, or etc. in terms of successes. Just like you can with Vini, or Rodrygo, or Camavinga, or Tchouameni.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Okay, sure. If you'd prefer Deulofeo, or Munir, or Romeu, or Muniesa, or etc. The point is that young players sometimes bust. And yes, you can point to Pedri, or Gavi, or etc. in terms of successes. Just like you can with Vini, or Rodrygo, or Camavinga, or Tchouameni.

Not sure how Deulofeu is a bust or who was hyping Munir, Romeu or Muniesa (I liked Muniesa, but don’t remember him being much hyped at all). As for the point, you should have added the context of Fati’s injury history. Also, while I wouldn’t expect anything significant from him going forward, to be fair, he’s only what, 22 now?

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I mean context matters. Munir for instance was never actually good.

They didnt develop those players except maybe Vini. Just as Barca didnt develop Pedri. Rorygo is a dime a dozen player anyway.

If we had the likes of Munir or Romeu you might as well list every single La Maria player to not be a regular player for the first team. Spoiler alert there are many, even more than the ones that do make it.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I mean context matters. Munir for instance was never actually good.

They didnt develop those players except maybe Vini. Just as Barca didnt develop Pedri. Rorygo is a dime a dozen player anyway.

If we had the likes of Munir or Romeu you might as well list every single La Maria player to not be a regular player for the first team. Spoiler alert there are many, even more than the ones that do make it.

Regardless of the heights he hit or did not, and again I don’t know who was hyping him, but Romeu has had a good career.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
He did miss time, but he was also a top 5 defender in the world for about 5 years. Unless you expected him to be an all-timer, I think he delivered plenty.

I expected him to be a top 5 defender for over a decade. I forgot to remind @Evilo who the first person to draft him here was. I have a long track record of talking up Varane’s ability. Again, I don’t blame him for the injuries portion of it and when in form he was great, but I think his legacy is a bit polished.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Never said he was bad. He missed a lot of time though and had some droughts when he was healthy. His career should have been more considering the talent.
I guess it depends on what you consider a successful career. Lots of injuries, some dull moments, but always among the best at his position and absolutely key in the top competitions in the world. His performance in the 18 WC.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Not sure how Deulofeu is a bust or who was hyping Munir, Romeu or Muniesa (I liked Muniesa, but don’t remember him being much hyped at all). As for the point, you should have added the context of Fati’s injury history. Also, while I wouldn’t expect anything significant from him going forward, to be fair, he’s only what, 22 now?
If the reference is Asensio as a bust and his 38 caps, it's hard to argue Deulofeu isn't, with his 4. Even Ceballos has more than that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not sure why you lumped Gavi in there. And while Barca is partially responsible for Pedri, I think all those cases are different if the players don’t play for Spain.
I just wanted Gavi to feel included

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad