Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Maybe they sell Reese James or Chillwell? I still can't believe they'll sell Gallagher.
I wouldn't be shocked if James goes. But then again, who's paying top money for a guy coming off hamstring and relatively recent knee issues? Like, sure, they'll make some money because he qualifies as home grown, but it's not enough to balance the books.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Honestly... with the new administration back in charge... I would expect Liverpool to go around the world and buy a bunch of upside guys to add to the stable.

Klopp wasn't always ANTI that, but the last few years, we've seen a bit closer to finished products. Hughes / Edwards are gonna be in for future.
I'm not sure I really agree with this. I think Nunez, Gakpo, Gravenberch, Carvalho, Ramsay were all future buys. Admittedly, the first three were expected to play relatively immediately, especially Nunez, but at the same time, they were made with an eye to the future.

I actually think that these were more for the future than AOC/Salah/Allisson/etc.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

I know it's just rumbling stuff. But how can they spend? I guess they're really going to sell anyone that qualifies as HG for as much as they can get.

On the Darwin stuff, I would think Liverpool have to break even if they consider it. Even if that's a loan fee, and then an option to buy, that might be the route they went.

I think the player would likely seek a move, especially with a new manager coming in and his playing time likely up in the air. But the issue will be who has money to buy him. I don't think Barca can figure out the financials unless Liverpool are willing to wait or take a bath on the player.
Said it a couple posts above. Gallagher is going to fund him I guess

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
30M over 5 years is only 6M/year. Broja could get that easily. Isn't Maatsen's buy option being triggered? That'll do it. Or Lewis Hall. Or Ziyech, etc.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
At this point the concern about Gallagher is less "do they sell him so they can sign new players" and more "do they sell him because he's only got one year left on his deal." That is the bigger concern, as there's been very little discussion between him and the club as yet about an extension.
30M over 5 years is only 6M/year. Broja could get that easily. Isn't Maatsen's buy option being triggered? That'll do it. Or Lewis Hall. Or Ziyech, etc.
Lewis Hall's is confirmed, as that option was automatic if conditions were met (which were). So that's 35m there.

Maatsen will almost definitely be triggered. That's another 35m. Happy for him on that one - he was never gonna be able to play left-back in the PL and was logjammed in spots further up the pitch. He'll keep thriving in Germany. (no, this is not a remark on league quality, just a remark on league styles of play).

Ziyech's loan had an obligation, although any money involved is minimal. The win there is getting the enormous wages off the books.

Broja's disastrous loan at Fulham has dramatically impacted his sale price, but should still be able to get 20m for him from someone silly.

Reactions: gary69

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
Rumored that Nico Williams is on around 200,000 euros/week already which is putting off teams

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I wasn't sure what the buy option was, but the point is that Estevao at 30M is pretty easily paid for given amortization.
I knew your point, I was just expanding the convo re: Chelsea sales prospects.

Rumored that Nico Williams is on around 200,000 euros/week already which is putting off teams
Hey man, Bilbao has to convince Basque players to stay, and that's how you do it!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
According to the Athletic Reus is in contact with St. Louis and Karius has already volunteered to cede him the captain's armband.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Hey man, Bilbao has to convince Basque players to stay, and that's how you do it!
Someone said that, because of their transfer policy, their slider is 100% wages and 0% transfers, which is a great way of thinking about it.
I knew your point, I was just expanding the convo re: Chelsea sales prospects.
I got you. I'm not sure Broja gets 20M (partially because I think that it would be hard for Arsenal to get that much for Nketiah, who is more proven, although older), but just looking at Hall/Maatsen, they should have ~350M to spend. Add in ZIyech/Broja/Kepa and random other sales (such as, potentially, Humphreys, Anjorin, Hutchinson, Fofana, Burstow, Lukaku, etc.) and Chelsea could have a bunch to spend without factoring in Gallagher.

Of course, you then have to factor in whatever new rules the EPL is coming up with, but looking purely at accounting values, it isn't hard to create a scenario where Chelsea can reasonably spend a bunch of money.

The caveat here is no one actually knows how these players are booked and you have to factor in wages, etc. The real issue for Chelsea is what happens in two or three years if they keep spending and run out of homegrown or fully amortized players to sell.

According to the Athletic Reus is in contact with St. Louis and Karius has already volunteered to cede him the captain's armband.
Don't put that evil on us.

Reactions: cgf

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm not sure I really agree with this. I think Nunez, Gakpo, Gravenberch, Carvalho, Ramsay were all future buys. Admittedly, the first three were expected to play relatively immediately, especially Nunez, but at the same time, they were made with an eye to the future.

I actually think that these were more for the future than AOC/Salah/Allisson/etc.
The first 3 are different than the last two for sure. I think all 5 needed significant development, but Nunez, Gakpo and Gravenberch to some extent were playing in top international, CL or top level sides. Sure, they're still works in progress, but it's much different from taking someone from down the table and improving them.

You also neglect pointing out basically most of the last transfer window. Mac Allister, Endo and Szoboszlai were pretty close to finished products (though one could argue Szobszlai has higher ceilings to get to) coming through the door.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Someone said that, because of their transfer policy, their slider is 100% wages and 0% transfers, which is a great way of thinking about it.

I got you. I'm not sure Broja gets 20M (partially because I think that it would be hard for Arsenal to get that much for Nketiah, who is more proven, although older), but just looking at Hall/Maatsen, they should have ~350M to spend. Add in ZIyech/Broja/Kepa and random other sales (such as, potentially, Humphreys, Anjorin, Hutchinson, Fofana, Burstow, Lukaku, etc.) and Chelsea could have a bunch to spend without factoring in Gallagher.

Of course, you then have to factor in whatever new rules the EPL is coming up with, but looking purely at accounting values, it isn't hard to create a scenario where Chelsea can reasonably spend a bunch of money.

The caveat here is no one actually knows how these players are booked and you have to factor in wages, etc. The real issue for Chelsea is what happens in two or three years if they keep spending and run out of homegrown or fully amortized players to sell.
god i hope not...

I think people might still buy on potential with Broja, but I might be being over-optimistic with that.

With the others, Humphreys likely stays (PL loan, hopefully), Anjorin goes, Hutchinson stays (does pre-season with Chelsea before likely going back to Ipswich), Burstow likely goes. Lukaku it's all about finding a buyer. Fofana stays - his value is at a nadir right now, you hope he's healthy next season to recoup.

I just hope they take this summer to consolidate - which seems more possible if they do end up in Europe. The amount of players they brought in last summer already has created logjams (even if the logjam is in the medical ward rather than on the pitch). Let guys get healthy all summer, and hopefully stay that way. Bring Andrey Santos back from loan. If we're in Europe, there'll be minutes to go around.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The first 3 are different than the last two for sure. I think all 5 needed significant development, but Nunez, Gakpo and Gravenberch to some extent were playing in top international, CL or top level sides. Sure, they're still works in progress, but it's much different from taking someone from down the table and improving them.

You also neglect pointing out basically most of the last transfer window. Mac Allister, Endo and Szoboszlai were pretty close to finished products (though one could argue Szobszlai has higher ceilings to get to) coming through the door.
Fair, although you did say the last couple years. But again, I'm comparing it to the first couple Klopp years. Mane, Wijnaldum, Karius, Klavan, VVD, Salah, AOC,A Alisson, Keita, Fabinho, etc. weren't exactly buys for the future.

Robertson, Tsimikas, Minamino, SvdB were really the only ones that were younger buys expected to develop into a role. I guess you could put Keita in the same bucket as Gakpo/Gravenberch

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I remember watching a young Fofana by accident at St Etienne because I wanted to see what the hype of Saliba was about. Fofana always impressed me more, too bad he can't seem to stay healthy.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You say this like this will be the only thing Chelsea does this summer

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

They funny thing, as it pertains to this window is that a lot of these players are question marks again.

The thing with Slot is half of the people reporting on him thinks he likes 433 and half of the people thinks that he likes 4231. He’s definitely using both for the record (look at Feyenoord vs Atletico Madrid in group stage both legs for example) but it’s funny how people are already taking sides on this

This is where the transfer trolls get up in arms because LFC have a ton of 433 talent that isn’t really a good fit for 4231; and probably you could say vice versa.

First off, they need to figure out where they are playing Trent. Trent you can probably get away with in midfield in double pivot; but not in 433. Szoboszlai probably should be in the attacking spots of 4231, and I would love to get him out of the center mid role he is in right now that wastes him. I don’t see Jones in a midfield 5. I don’t really see Gravenberch in a midfield 5 unless he can play #10. Endo probably fine but he is going to be a bandaid because he is only effective when he is starting and in form. Elliott has really carved out a role in current set up, but do we love him in a 5? Not so much.

Also, not to mention, Darwin is probably the only 9 that makes sense playing with a 10 on the current roster; so yeah this summer is going to be a bit of headache to make the puzzle pieces fit

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I remember watching a young Fofana by accident at St Etienne because I wanted to see what the hype of Saliba was about. Fofana always impressed me more, too bad he can't seem to stay healthy.
You're lucky!
They only played 7 L1 games together.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
You're lucky!
They only played 7 L1 games together.
I watched two of those, one win one draw, can't remember the opponents though. Saliba hadn't developed physically yet, he was a very fast bean pole. Fofana was strong and mean.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I look forward to months of summer talk about which Chelsea youth player will definitely be getting first team minutes only to be sold to balance the books and fund a +£50M transfer.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I look forward to months of summer talk about which Chelsea youth player will definitely be getting first team minutes only to be sold to balance the books and fund a +£50M transfer.
And then getting told that this is a new thing

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Hate to disappoint, but there are no Cobham players in the present pipe for us to get excited about imminent minutes for.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Fabrice Hawkins, who's a very good PSG source, says Xavi Simmons is not coming back but instead will be transfered to Leipzig for good. Both teams are negociating the amount.

• Wow
Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad