Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I agree. There are no good outcome in selling him not to mention he is not as bad as some claim he is, people are always overreacting. Clearly not a good finisher but so was Firmino, I think he has a role to play, maybe more from the bench next year but I will wait another year before shipping him out or at least let him prove himself with a new manager.

As for Nkunku vs Nunez. Nobody truly know because Nkunku has been injured all year, so hardly what I would call a resounding win.
You know where I missed Firmino the most was all those counterattacks this season were we broke with numbers and had no clue what to do with the ball. Vs Utd, Vs Arsenal, etc. Firmino was not an awesome finisher , but we score those with him leading the line.

I mean I’d have rather bought Nkunku from RBL than Darwin from Benfica but don’t think either were slam dunks. The point is that Darwin was a signing where Klopp overruled and alienated the front office; so no they aren’t always in lock step. Now they probably will be. Edwards took the job contingent on him having final say. Let’s see what happens next

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm not saying I'd look to sell him, but if someone comes in and does something silly like offering 85-90m for him I see no reason to not make a profit off him.

Mainoo is the only one where it would take a truly stupid offer to make me think about it. Everyone else is either in the get market value (or a bit less) camp or the "if it's a normal range overpayment, take it and figure it out from there"
I don't think you have an issue with this part

Yeah I think you have to give him one more year and then let Slot decide. I think Diaz probably goes this summer

I don’t think they’ll be complaining about getting Dom Solanke. Solanke positives outweighed the negatives of the others
I don't really know about Diaz. I think he's still got some upside. If PSG want to pay a tidy profit, I guess it could be done to balance some books. I just don't think there's a rush. There's contracts coming off, revenues are up, it should be ok.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean I’d have rather bought Nkunku from RBL than Darwin from Benfica but don’t think either were slam dunks. The point is that Darwin was a signing where Klopp overruled and alienated the front office; so no they aren’t always in lock step. Now they probably will be. Edwards took the job contingent on him having final say. Let’s see what happens next
I think all of your conclusions about Darwin are still just subjective. We don't really know who decided who and what ended up. Sure, there's speculation it was a Klopp purchase, but I think the analysts would still have been on board.

As for finishing and converting chances, Firmino was never very clinical at times and his output was not the same. I think you have to let the new manager decide who and what he wants with what's here before we make any wholesale changes.

Maybe Slot thinks Darwin can fit what he wants to do. Maybe he doesn't. We shall see. My issue is more selling him for 40-45 with some options, or even worse a loan with option, only kicks the can down the road, and you're set buying with taking a hit. Not really what the club should do.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't think you have an issue with this part

I don't really know about Diaz. I think he's still got some upside. If PSG want to pay a tidy profit, I guess it could be done to balance some books. I just don't think there's a rush. There's contracts coming off, revenues are up, it should be ok.
My issue with Diaz is simply economic. They cannot carry him and Darwin because they are both terrible finishers. I don’t think they sell Gakpo either because he is younger. Also they may need to create a spot for Szoboszlai in the front three, if he isn’t playing #10. We need more goals this summer. Period. We can’t carry all these guys that can’t finish, someone has to go. Thought it might be Salah but looks like he is staying, so by process of elimination it’s kind of Diaz. We have coverage in the wider roles. We need someone up front. They need like an Isak/Openda/Vlahovic (maybe but distant third) type signing up there to compete with Darwin. They cannot just get another project/one year wonder type. Isak is very obviously the best choice but will probably be the hardest to pull off. They need more goals. That isn’t coming from Diaz

I think all of your conclusions about Darwin are still just subjective. We don't really know who decided who and what ended up. Sure, there's speculation it was a Klopp purchase, but I think the analysts would still have been on board.
Paul Joyce recently reported this, and it had been floating around for about a year as well
As for finishing and converting chances, Firmino was never very clinical at times and his output was not the same. I think you have to let the new manager decide who and what he wants with what's here before we make any wholesale changes.
That’s kind of the Firmino issue though - we haven’t replaced anything that he was good at, and we haven’t improved anything that he was bad at.
Maybe Slot thinks Darwin can fit what he wants to do. Maybe he doesn't. We shall see. My issue is more selling him for 40-45 with some options, or even worse a loan with option, only kicks the can down the road, and you're set buying with taking a hit. Not really what the club should do.
For sure, I absolutely think Darwin deserves a year with Slot. What I am not doing is guaranteeing him a spot in the XI/not giving him competition

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Thiago Silva's departure from Chelsea made official today. PSG hate the elderly and we got our best centre back since Terry. Absolute legend, so thankful for his tenure with us.

I wonder if that's the end of his playing career as well. He mentioned that his sons play for Chelsea's youth teams, so the family is probably staying in London.

As he said he wants to be back at Chelsea in some capacity in the near future, maybe he'll get a job as a coach or something.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Aside from Mainoo I legitimately can't think of anyone I'd be against selling for a decent price.

Garnacho and Hojlund have potential, but they don't seem like anything actually special to the point where offers should be automatically denied.
There's been some hints already that United are going to be hampered by the FFP in the summer window, barring players being sold and there's not a lot of interest towards United's players or at decent numbers. Some idiots want Bruno to be sold, the only player who's consistently creating anything offensively in the team and then you'd have to try and find someone with similar qualities as a replacement.

-----------------------------

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Any good?

Very good. Prime example of big clubs/clubs with money and their inability to scout. Someone should have snapped him up prior to Eintracht Frankfurt.

Guy seems very well rounded to me and I really like his physical profile. Biggest question for me is his mentality. I’d want to try and get some background. One very good sign is that he comes from the same club as Kendry Paez. The players that club turns out of late it’s as if they have a conveyor belt and even since Paez they now have Lerma coming up.

I mean if we are going to get Slot favorites, his former captain is Koopmeiners who wants a PL move. I think that’s an easy place to start. Wieffer is an upgrade at 6 too so I’d take that too; honestly would even try to shoot higher but that’s another story.

Pacho looks very back three/bad in the air; which makes less sense for Slot than Amorim. But yeah we need LCB and maybe the aerial dominance thing is less important now; Edwards and Klopp had different tastes on players for sure. We knew this already but Joyce mentioned Edwards/Ward aren’t huge Darwin fans and would rather have signed Nkunku. And of course everyone knows about Brandt vs Salah too; so it’ll be interesting with Edwards having the keys again

In terms of CB though, I can’t help but think while they need a Lefty, they also really may want to upgrade on Konate. He can’t stay healthy and he takes a bit to ramp up even when he is back. His form as been atrocious since he got hurt in the Sparta game; but also might be down to his usage being poor as well.

Very good thing to look at with regards to playing a back three. Wouldn’t worry about that thought because he has other experience in a back four.

If we go full Slot mode, we should also go full Dutch mode then.
- Teun Koopmeiners
- Mats Wieffer
- Lutsharel Geertruida
- Quilindschy Hartman or Jorrel Hato
- Brian Brobbey or Joshua Zirkzee
- Crysencio Summerville
- Xavi Simons

Any other names that I am missing?

Plenty of youngsters you’re missing, Bakayoko the most proven, but there are others. Of that list I think you’re not getting much by way of starters and it’d be really expensive. Still, I like Weiffer and Hato is definitely worth a punt.

Who tf is Pacho?? You guys are killing me with these obscure nicknames?

Yeah IDK if Liverpool should go for a guy I'm completely unfamiliar with... and I watch quite a lot of Bundesliga. Aim higher. Ndicka at Frankfurt was also highly rated once, told yall he was crap and time proved me right.

If you watch quite a bit of BL I’m shocked you don’t know who he is.

Gazzetta dello Sport is linking us to Kvara. That is one I didn't expect to pop up

Not gonna happen. We’re at least a year away from that sort of signing. Besides, would rather sign Nico for that kind of money.

I'm pleasantly surprised with Christensen at Barcelona. He's kind of Pavard, not an elegant player, but efficient.

No surprises. Was always a good signing on a Bosman. That said…

Yeah he's done ok in the 6 role. I don't expect him to continue playing there next season, I assume he will rotate with Cubarsi and Kounde/Araujo? Don't think both will be on the team come august

Oh, I’d be surprised if either of Kounde or Araujo were sold. Beside, the smart move if you’re cashing in (after getting rid of the dead wood of course) would be to sell Christensen. I do have a Cule mate who would drive Araujo to Bayern for 100 million though. My counter to that is who do you replace him with? Still, Araujo’s injuries and mistakes are frustrating.

I wouldn't sell Darwin. I think that's stupid. Let the manager figure it out. Buy someone if you must. There is money to spend.

Well if you do I’d happily take a discounted Darwin for Barca. Of course we’ll be stuck with Lewandowski again, but still high on Darwin.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
That's my issue. If someone was gonna pay pretty much what they spent, I can see it working for both the player and club. Maybe some add on fee or sell on.

I just don't think that's a reality. Lot of clubs don't have money to spend.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
There's been some hints already that United are going to be hampered by the FFP in the summer window, barring players being sold and there's not a lot of interest towards United's players or at decent numbers. Some idiots want Bruno to be sold, the only player who's consistently creating anything offensively in the team and then you'd have to try and find someone with similar qualities as a replacement.

-----------------------------

I don't think selling Rashford makes much sense. He had such a mediocre season. Sure, he's still young, English, and would give the highest FFP yield for most of what they have, but I think the player would have to push for it.

I don't know who would want him to be honest that would be his caliber and offer money that United would feel palatable.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree. There are no good outcome in selling him not to mention he is not as bad as some claim he is, people are always overreacting. Clearly not a good finisher but so was Firmino, I think he has a role to play, maybe more from the bench next year but I will wait another year before shipping him out or at least let him prove himself with a new manager.

As for Nkunku vs Nunez. Nobody truly know because Nkunku has been injured all year, so hardly what I would call a resounding win.

I know he's been Chelsea'd in our timeline, but Nkunku is a stud.

Reactions: luiginb

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Oh, I’d be surprised if either of Kounde or Araujo were sold. Beside, the smart move if you’re cashing in (after getting rid of the dead wood of course) would be to sell Christensen. I do have a Cule mate who would drive Araujo to Bayern for 100 million though. My counter to that is who do you replace him with? Still, Araujo’s injuries and mistakes are frustrating.
I have a lot of friends here that would be willing to sell Araujo or De Jong... or both.

Frankly if you sold Araujo for those 80-100 million there are nice options in Spain.
For example Mosquera in Valencia has been unbelievable down the stretch. One of the most underrated defenders in la liga.
Mika Marmol is another name. We have 50% of his rights. Would be cheap and has amazing potentail, also very good on the ball.
Chadi Riad in Betis, he costs only 7M€ to buy back...

That's only going for cheap options in la liga, they could always go fishing to other leagues

• Wow
Reactions: S E P H and luiginb

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Oh man. NONE of those guys are guys I’d be looking at to replace Araujo. I’d rather promote Faye and call it a day. If you’re looking at Valencia I’d rather have Gasiorowski. Marmol is kind of like bring Garcia back. I like the kid, but fourth choice at best. Riad might be worth the gamble, but wouldn’t sell Araujo until the kid proves himself for a season with us.

Plenty of other good young players outside of the league, but all quite expensive unfortunately.

I’d look to move Christensen and Ferran before the likes of Araujo or De Jong, but they wouldn’t raise the same funds or save as much in wages.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
IS he still young?
yeah, really not uncommon for a player like him to have plateaued by now

idk man, i don't know what to make of Rashford. when he's on he's so so so so unbelievably good. and he'll be on for long stretches! it's not a game in game out inconsistency. it's longer duree, which somehow makes it more frustrating

Reactions: bluesfan94

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I see at @Chimaera ’s point with regards to FFP yield, but if you wait until he starts performing again then maybe he doesn’t want to leave assuming you can get him to do it in the first place. That salary is going to be the biggest issue for other clubs to swallow. I’d offload him ASAP though. Just get rid of him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If I was Liverpool, I would sell ten Nunez before selling one Diaz. Nunez was overrated before coming to LFC - very hard-working player but not enough talent to be a consistent goalscorer in the EPL. The South American Lacazette. Misses on chances he should score, scores on chances he should miss, which chances you should score tend to be more common.

Worse players get sold (and bought) for plenty of money every summer. Just got to trust the guy to do his job well
Bluesfan is right, that was a fluke once-in-a-generation type of buy and it is very hard to see how a team will want to do the same thing with players. Don't get me wrong, Saudi will absolutely overpay for Salah since he could be the face of the league, but it's not going to be like 100+ million.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If I was Liverpool, I would sell ten Nunez before selling one Diaz. Nunez was overrated before coming to LFC - very hard-working player but not enough talent to be a consistent goalscorer in the EPL. The South American Lacazette. Misses on chances he should score, scores on chances he should miss, which chances you should score tend to be more common.

Bluesfan is right, that was a fluke once-in-a-generation type of buy and it is very hard to see how a team will want to do the same thing with players. Don't get me wrong, Saudi will absolutely overpay for Salah since he could be the face of the league, but it's not going to be like 100+ million.
There is certainly an argument for that too. The problem is LFC are way more pot committed to Darwin, and have much less positional depth there; so they kind of have to keep him. I am not a fan, but the physical tools are so good, you’ve got it give it one more chance, rightfully or wrongfully. I don’t think his feet are good enough for it to really matter but maybe they get lucky.

No one expects another Coutinho situation to happen but we can smile that it did happen

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Oh man. NONE of those guys are guys I’d be looking at to replace Araujo. I’d rather promote Faye and call it a day. If you’re looking at Valencia I’d rather have Gasiorowski. Marmol is kind of like bring Garcia back. I like the kid, but fourth choice at best. Riad might be worth the gamble, but wouldn’t sell Araujo until the kid proves himself for a season with us.

Plenty of other good young players outside of the league, but all quite expensive unfortunately.

I’d look to move Christensen and Ferran before the likes of Araujo or De Jong, but they wouldn’t raise the same funds or save as much in wages.
They need to sell one of those if they want to get to 1:1 in spending. I would not sell Christensen, he's a good squad player, you don't sell those just to get 15 million or whatever.

Faye can be promoted, sure, complete unknown though. These guys I told you have proven to be capable performers as starters. Especially the first two. I have seen many Valencia games and Mosquera right now is far ahead of the polish guy.
I get your point with Marmol and Eric but I believe Mika's potential is really, really high. And he would fit our playstyle perfectly. Eric Garcia has been very good this season but I would cash on him.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
They need to sell one of those if they want to get to 1:1 in spending. I would not sell Christensen, he's a good squad player, you don't sell those just to get 15 million or whatever.

Faye can be promoted, sure, complete unknown though. These guys I told you have proven to be capable performers as starters. Especially the first two. I have seen many Valencia games and Mosquera right now is far ahead of the polish guy.
I get your point with Marmol and Eric but I believe Mika's potential is really, really high. And he would fit our playstyle perfectly. Eric Garcia has been very good this season but I would cash on him.

I don’t want to sell Christensen, but when you’re choosing he’s who I’d look at. You’re getting a LOT more than 15 million either. More than double that really.

Faye is a complete unknown in the league, but he’s not a complete unknown within the club. From what I understand he’s a big reason Barca Athletic is doing as well as it is. And as far as how proven the guys you mentioned are, they’re not that proven yet at all.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I don’t want to sell Christensen, but when you’re choosing he’s who I’d look at. You’re getting a LOT more than 15 million either. More than double that really.

Faye is a complete unknown in the league, but he’s not a complete unknown within the club. From what I understand he’s a big reason Barca Athletic is doing as well as it is. And as far as how proven the guys you mentioned are, they’re not that proven yet at all.
I don't know how much Christensen could get, maybe you're right. I don't trust our team in sales however.

And yes, Faye has been very good with Barça Athletic, I think there's a good chance he plays one of the last games of the season

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Reports are San Diego, which begins in MLS in 2025, is signing Hirving Lozano from PSV. Probably for the best, he hasn't been great for PSV this year. They can use that money to trigger Tillmans buy option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad