OT: 2024 Summer Olympics

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Because why not.

Kenny Albert is doing Water Polo and I keep thinking I randomly got back into hockey season
I just finished his autobiography before on the way to work. It was a really good book I highly recommend for any hockey fan too read. Even though he has history worming for the Rags he is a pretty damn good call it down the middle announcer like Doc was.

He was a Canucks fan somehow growing up on Long Island. He used to go to MSG all the time growing up with his Dad being a play by play commentator as well but managed to not be a Rangers or Islanders fan. He's covered all 4 of the big 4 sports league and plenty of other stuff. Alot of good stories in his book. He helped start NYU's club hockey tram.and scored their 1st ever goal as well.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Because why not.

Kenny Albert is doing Water Polo and I keep thinking I randomly got back into hockey season
Didn't Doc do it one year way back when? I know he did some oddball Olympic sport and I remember thinking he could recite the phone book and still make it sound exciting.

Was even more so when Doc did it.
Thought so but couldn't remember exactly if that's what it was. Guess there is some crossover with the hockey announcers there hah

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I'm only watching the US soccer teams. Just don't care about any of these other sports. It's the first time the men have been in it since 2008.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I'm only watching the US soccer teams. Just don't care about any of these other sports. It's the first time the men have been in it since 2008.
The Olympics for soccer suck. I forgot the exact rule but I believe country's can only use 3 players over the age of 24 or something like that.

It'd a shame because it can be a borderline World Cup if they really wanted it to be and took it more seriously.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
The Olympics for soccer suck. I forgot the exact rule but I believe country's can only use 3 players over the age of 24 or something like that.

It'd a shame because it can be a borderline World Cup if they really wanted it to be and took it more seriously.
I think you just said why it’s not like the World Cup. The World Cup makes tons of money and earns tons of bribes so they don’t want the Olympic committee being in control of some sort of competitor.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

i watch the world cup and the euros but have never watched an olympic soccer game...a quick look at the teams and rankings says i can't take this tournament seriously:

(i do realize these rankings are for for the full international squads but....c'mon)

Group A: France (2), USA (16), Guinea (77), New Zealand (94)

Group B: Argentina (1), Morocco (14) , Ukraine (25), Iraq (55)

Group C: Spain (3), Egypt (36), Uzbekistan (61), Dominican Republic (150)

Group D: Japan (18), Paraguay (62), Mali (53), Israel (78)

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Staying up late to watch obscure events is the true appeal to the Olympics. f*** gymnastics and track and field.

Give me Fencing, Handball, table tennis, and Badminton

Screen Shot 2024-07-29 at 2.38.27 AM.png

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
hot take

play ice hockey in the summer olympics solves a ton of problems and can ditch the stupid world cup of hockey or whatever in season tournament thing they are doing this year.

Reactions: Nubmer6 and My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I've read that before and they must have thought of it by now but I'm guessing it's not a good sell to the players?
yeah i def remember reading something similar. i think once they get a major injury during a winter game thats when you will start to hear calls for something to change. i get major summer injury is just as bad but at least teams could prepare before camps open and not scramble mid season to recover.

Reactions: My3Sons

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

I think you just said why it’s not like the World Cup. The World Cup makes tons of money and earns tons of bribes so they don’t want the Olympic committee being in control of some sort of competitor.

Its that and that they also want to try to keep it to the "spirit" of the Olympics to use more "amateur" players.

But yeah world cup I'll watch every game, for Olympics I only watch the US games and the gold medal game if the US aren't in it.

Reactions: njdevils1982

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I have never watched this sport in my life but you know when you see greatness. What an incredible run at 3:15 in this video. So impressive

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Giants gotta give her a call, I'd say the Jets but they already have Breece and Braelon Allen lmao
Jones is healthy and frankly if she played for the Jets she'd be the best thing those fans have had to cheer for since 1969. OK, maybe Richard Todd had a hot minute where the fans could get excited. OK, maybe Sanchez had another few seconds but good gravy, give that young lady a gang green contract. What a run.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Jones is healthy and frankly if she played for the Jets she'd be the best thing those fans have had to cheer for since 1969. OK, maybe Richard Todd had a hot minute where the fans could get excited. OK, maybe Sanchez had another few seconds but good gravy, give that young lady a gang green contract. What a run.
The New York Sack Exchange.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad