GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
No what sucks is that he can't actually play defense. Wasting Guhle"s development by having him play his wrong side and not playing his game because he has to cover Matheson's ass is the path to ruining the top D prospect currently with the club. The only problem with trading Matheson is the rest of the league knows that his season was fools gold, and who the player actually is.

He is a very good defender who occasionally makes a gaffe but the number of elite zone exits that he makes as well as his speed and recovery when he does turn the puck over more than make up for the odd blunder.

The criticism on this board is amateur at best and focuses far to narrowly on the negative events while glossing over the much larger volume of exceptional plays.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Pretty sure for him to burn a year of contract last year he had to play a game in the regular season... signing alone would do nothing is contract would have slided. They weren't willing last season, he was piss that he couldn't burn a year last season (kinda like Gauthier), now they want to sign him but he wanted a garantees which they are willing to make...
In the articles that I read it was about next year and not being able to guarantee him playing time in Winnipeg. It didn't say anything about them willing to burn one year of his entry level contract but that could be entirely possible and it just wasn't mentioned.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Understandable. We don't really have anyone else available other than Podkolzin who is a bigger stronger forward but mostly unproven.

We need another top-6 forward as it is so Boeser would be off the table in a deal for Matheson, especially after the season he just had.

And we don't have much in terms of prospects either other than the big 2 who would also not be part of a trade like this.

So unless Montreal wants a package of lesser picks and prospects, which I assume they don't, probably no deal to be made.

That is the conclusion.

Enjoy your summer and may we see you in a canadian stanley cup final!

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
Honestly, I think not doing anything is fine regarding the top 6 that is missing one player this year. If the core without Demidov takes a massive step forward, it’s all great.

If they aren’t strong enough yet and we end up bottom 5-10, having one more stud (ideally another 1-2 D) would make me feel better. Next year should be when the real fun begins but I’m not hoping for massive tanking this year, though it could happen, the division is so strong now.

Mcdonaldz

Jul 26, 2021
Marco D’Amico and Marc Olivier Beaudoin are reporting that David Ettedgui, Snake Boisvert and HockeyInsiderrr got jobs with Capfriendly, the Caps might trade CF and FC (future considerations) to Edmonton for Darnell Nurse, Ken Holland’s rolodex and Ken Holland’a nurse.

That’s just what my sources tell me…

• Wow
Reactions: morhilane

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not a free agent but Laval signed 23-year-old defenseman Vincent Sevigny.

Given the emphasis on size in this year's draft and free agency, is there any chance he pushes for a spot down the road?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not a free agent but Laval signed 23-year-old defenseman Vincent Sevigny.

Given the emphasis on size in this year's draft and free agency, is there any chance he pushes for a spot down the road?

Basically 0% chance. He's not even penciled in the top6 in Laval even if Struble and Hutson makes the Habs. If any of the 4 AHL contracts D gets an NHL one, my money would be on Wotherspoon.

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Hutson - Struble
Harris - Barron

Wotherspoon - Mailloux
Engstrom - Reinbacher
Trudeau - Jacobs
Sevigny - Jandric

Reactions: overlords

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Basically 0% chance. He's not even penciled in the top6 in Laval even if Struble and Hutson makes the Habs. If any of the 4 AHL contracts D gets an NHL one, my money would be on Wotherspoon.

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Hutson - Struble
Harris - Barron

Wotherspoon - Mailloux
Engstrom - Reinbacher
Trudeau - Jacobs
Sevigny - Jandric

Didn't realize Rocket plucked Wotherspoon from Utica. Would have liked to see him getting minutes with the Devils rather than them throwing the youngsters into the fire before they were ready.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I'm sure if Hughes could trade Matheson for the forward equivalent, of what Matheson is...he'd do it.
Like a forward that can’t play offence but is decent in his own end? That would be the equivalent of Mike Matheson for a forward :D

• Haha
Reactions: 417

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
We don't have a player like Zegras and Demidov ain't changing that.

Demidov is a "power play maker".
Zegras is a pure breed play maker.

Very different players.

Potentially, but Martin St-Louis and Cole Caufield could both have a good effect on him. And because of that perception of an attitude he would be cheaper than we think.

Tomato tomatoh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad