GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Thing is....while we do need quality there at one point, we do have quantity. Armia, Anderson, Gallagher, Evans, Pezzetta...that's all pencilled bottom 6.
Sprong is 40 pts winger who can't play defense à la Hoffman. If you were penciling him in the top 6, might as well just put Anderson there and hope he's not as unlucky as last season. But Joshua Roy will bring better defense than both and similar offense...

There aren't any real top 6 player left on the UFA market right now. Tarasenko isn't the player he was.

Also, Pezz and RHP can be waived if the team find replacements for them (whatever it's UFAs, trade or prospects). The bottom 6 isn't as locked as people think and Hughes priority (minus RFA new contracts) should be moving Anderson and Dvorak ASAP instead of waiting for "better deals".

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sprong is 40 pts winger who can't play defense à la Hoffman. If you were penciling him in the top 6, might as well just put Anderson there and hope he's not as unlucky as last season. But Joshua Roy will bring better defense than both and similar offense...

There aren't any real top 6 player left on the UFA market right now. Tarasenko isn't the player he was.

Also, Pezz and RHP can be waived if the team find replacements for them (whatever it's UFAs, trade or prospects). The bottom 6 isn't as locked as people think and Hughes priority (minus RFA new contracts) should be moving Anderson and Dvorak ASAP instead of waiting for "better deals".
To me
Cole-Nick-Slaf
Roy-Dach-Newhook

Is more than fine. The real problem is the other two lines that are riddled with Evans and absolute shit. It needs to be addressed.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Hughes told me he wanted to add size and toughness to this lineup.

Im still waiting.
He was talking about Laval. :sarcasm:

They signed a single player under 6' for the Rocket (ABB) and one of the most feared enforcer of the AHL in Arserneau (who seems quite happy with his babysitter role based on the interview I saw).

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
He was talking about Laval. :sarcasm:

They signed a single player under 6' for the Rocket (ABB) and one of the most feared enforcer of the AHL in Arserneau (who seems quite happy with his babysitter role based on the interview I saw).

Good for Laval.

But what now for MTL?

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
To me
Cole-Nick-Slaf
Roy-Dach-Newhook

Is more than fine. The real problem is the other two lines that are riddled with Evans and absolute shit. It needs to be addressed.
Agreed... Hughes' undoing will be a failure to support his stars and upcoming talent. Bite a bullet and buy out a couple of dead weight contract. Get someone who can protect the kids. Get some occasional scoring from 3rd and 4th line. Sitting on a f***ng 20M in cap space... can afford to do all of that and some.

Reactions: Tyson

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
I'd have signed that 2 year deal for Tarasenko. He's a good vet that just won a cup and the money doesn't really matter to us. He'd be a good Russian speaker for our new boy too.

2 years is no risk.

Reactions: GordonGraham

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I'd have signed that 2 year deal for Tarasenko. He's a good vet that just won a cup and the money doesn't really matter to us. He'd be a good Russian speaker for our new boy too.

2 years is no risk.

Tcccchhht :sarcasm:

Can't say that.

Gotta stick to the script and say "Went Wughes" can't do that or else we won't be able to extend Kaiden Guhle.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
They're rebuild got f***ed by losing every single lottery and all the depth picks busting. Hard to just build a contender without a foundation but they can't just say woops and do it again.
You don't need to win the lottery to pick good players in the top 10. When you come out of a rebuild with mostly UFAs on your line-up, it just means you failed at drafting or just made bad trades trying to accelerate the process.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I would have done that Tarasenko deal. Either we didn't offer it or he preferred Detroit's situation over ours.

For signings now, there is truly no one I'd be interested in anymore. Trade it is if we're going to improve.

Reactions: zx81

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yes, exactly. Kovalchuk too even if short. Chiarot, Toffoli, Savard and even if I hated him, Edmundson all provided value and were good signings.

It's just a general false dillema to create that UFAs are all bad contracts. Guys like Carrier, Pesce, Bertuzzi, Roy, etc were cheap this year, there was a bunch of very stupid signings and a bunch of very good ones. Bad teams are bad at signing UFAs (either they over pay for the wrong player (Leafs) or don't sign them (us)) and good teams get good value on their signings (Canes, etc.)
Those are a few names. Notice though the contracts were all relatively short and the AAV were actually alright. We got Toffoli in a weak market I think and remember thinking what a great signing it was.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
They're rebuild got f***ed by losing every single lottery and all the depth picks busting. Hard to just build a contender without a foundation but they can't just say woops and do it again.

A lot of their contracts end in 2026, so they might just do that. Do it again, I mean.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So much for the Red Wings rebuild, their only real drafted top talent upfront other than Larkin is Raymond.

They now have 14 players that they signed in free agency. I guess owners want playoffs now.

Other than Kane, it's a lot of average NHLers. It might be enough.
Yeah it’s the most mid team assembled. Maybe Yzerman was all just JBB working behind the scenes in Tampa.

Reactions: Gustave

Fuonki

Jan 2, 2020
You don't necessarily need to win the lottery for success even if it helps. Raymond is a much better player than Lafreniére for one, and Seider is only behind Jack Hughes in his draft class as well. But when those two are your only genuine first line players from 7 years of drafting in the top 10 maybe your amateur scouting is also to blame

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad