GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Just put this together, since the 2022 Trade Deadline they have traded:

Nick Paul
The 7th overall pick in 2022
The 12th overall pick in 2023
The 39th overall pick in 2022
2nd round pick (2024)
2nd round pick (2026)
3rd round pick (2024)
3rd round pick (2025)

In exchange for:

2 years of overpaid Mathieu Joseph
1 year of Alex DeBrincat
1 year of Jakob Chychrun
1 year of overpaid Dominik Kubalik
Nick Jensen
3rd round pick (2026)
4th round pick (2024)
4th round pick (2024)

Before making any transaction, GMs should ask themselves if it's better than what a potato would do.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Nick Paul
2nd round pick (2024)
2nd round pick (2026)
3rd round pick (2024)
3rd round pick (2025)

In exchange for:

1 year of Alex DeBrincat
1 year of Jakob Chychrun
Nick Jensen
3rd round pick (2026)
4th round pick (2024)
4th round pick (2024)

Terrible asset management. Considering their grand exit from their 2018 rebuild crashed and burned pretty fast. Reminds me of when Buffalo started adding Kane and ROR and eventually just went into another rebuild.

Sens are lucky the Sharks bottomed out or else they wouldn't have anything to show for their 2018 sell off

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Fatbiggie

Unregistered User
Jul 30, 2005
Hopefully lots of teams will be in cap trouble come the beginning of the season. If we're not signing anyone, we should be able to weaponized our cap space by listening to all the grievances these teams will have and getting some assets back.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Nick Paul
2nd round pick (2024)
2nd round pick (2026)
3rd round pick (2024)
3rd round pick (2025)

In exchange for:

1 year of Alex DeBrincat
1 year of Jakob Chychrun
Nick Jensen
3rd round pick (2026)
4th round pick (2024)
4th round pick (2024)

They also gave up a third rounder for Travis Hamonic at the 2022 deadline. Hamonic was on waivers like 3 months before, while also the Sens were one of the worst teams in the league that year so adding a veteran at the deadline made no sense.

• Haha
Reactions: Shred

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Hopefully lots of teams will be in cap trouble come the beginning of the season. If we're not signing anyone, we should be able to weaponized our cap space by listening to all the grievances these teams will have and getting some assets back.
That could be an explanation for the Habs inactivity so far. A decent player may become available due to cap space, hopefully not the next Tanner Pearson though.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Its not the flat cap era anymore, cap space does not have the value it once had. Ducks aren't even at the cap floor yet.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I live in Ottawa-Gatineau. I was there when the young Hens of the late 90’s, early 2000’s grew as a core. Not much was added yearly to the core. The core stayed essentially the same. People in Ottawa appreciated their slow growth into a pretty competitive team, Stanley Cup worthy IMHO (if only they had a better goalie).
We’re at the same spot. Our core is growing. Slowly. They are growing as a stable core. Not much movement, learning the systems, the team’s approach and culture.
As fans, we want quick upgrades, quick fixes. But the Hens of that era proved that keeping the core intact, just slowly learning about what it takes to play in this league, will do wonders.
And that is what is happening here. Some are the evergoing pessimists (what if they don’t progress? God forbid some have setbacks or get injured?). They are not wrong! I mean, they could all go down with Ebola for all we know.
You don’t build your team on ‘what if they get Ebola’; you build on development, on growth.
If you think this squad is worthy of a bottom five, nothing will convince you otherwise.

I’m of the other school of thought: this is a core that has been progressing over the last two seasons. Stats show it. And the talent is there to show even more progression next season. Caufield had, according to some, a down year. Slaf only got started after January. Guhle had a bad season according to some. Heck, even the much maligned Anderson had the worst season of his career.
Not counting the latter, we will see our core Ds, the kids, grow this season. I think we can expect our two goalies to be more efficient than what Allen showed.
I’m expecting BIG THINGS from our first line, because they will be playing together from the onset. And they are still developing.
Dach is, again, the key. If he stays healthy for 60 games +, on est en voiture. He’s got a style of play that will attrack cheap shots and stupid injuries. Give me 60+ games of this guy and we are going to be competitive.
Are we going to make the playoffs? Not expecting them to. But they will inch closer and closer.
I am of the optimistic side. I think we are witnessing the rebirth of a franchise. The talent, in 2025, will be overwhelming. I see the Habs just like I saw the Expos in 1992: on the cusp of greatness.
The last draft was what will put us as contenders as early as 2026.

Oh! And I’m expecting some player movement before the team’s golf tourney.

I won’t answer back the posters here that disagree. Really, IDGAF what you think. I know this group will be competitive for a decade, starting in 2-3 seasons. That’s all that matters to me.

Enjoy this great summer!

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
I live in Ottawa-Gatineau. I was there when the young Hens of the late 90’s, early 2000’s grew as a core. Not much was added yearly to the core. The core stayed essentially the same. People in Ottawa appreciated their slow growth into a pretty competitive team, Stanley Cup worthy IMHO (if only they had a better goalie).
We’re at the same spot. Our core is growing. Slowly. They are growing as a stable core. Not much movement, learning the systems, the team’s approach and culture.
As fans, we want quick upgrades, quick fixes. But the Hens of that era proved that keeping the core intact, just slowly learning about what it takes to play in this league, will do wonders.
And that is what is happening here. Some are the evergoing pessimists (what if they don’t progress? God forbid some have setbacks or get injured?). They are not wrong! I mean, they could all go down with Ebola for all we know.
You don’t build your team on ‘what if they get Ebola’; you build on development, on growth.
If you think this squad is worthy of a bottom five, nothing will convince you otherwise.

I’m of the other school of thought: this is a core that has been progressing over the last two seasons. Stats show it. And the talent is there to show even more progression next season. Caufield had, according to some, a down year. Slaf only got started after January. Guhle had a bad season according to some. Heck, even the much maligned Anderson had the worst season of his career.
Not counting the latter, we will see our core Ds, the kids, grow this season. I think we can expect our two goalies to be more efficient than what Allen showed.
I’m expecting BIG THINGS from our first line, because they will be playing together from the onset. And they are still developing.
Dach is, again, the key. If he stays healthy for 60 games +, on est en voiture. He’s got a style of play that will attrack cheap shots and stupid injuries. Give me 60+ games of this guy and we are going to be competitive.
Are we going to make the playoffs? Not expecting them to. But they will inch closer and closer.
I am of the optimistic side. I think we are witnessing the rebirth of a franchise. The talent, in 2025, will be overwhelming. I see the Habs just like I saw the Expos in 1992: on the cusp of greatness.
The last draft was what will put us as contenders as early as 2026.

Oh! And I’m expecting some player movement before the team’s golf tourney.

I won’t answer back the posters here that disagree. Really, IDGAF what you think. I know this group will be competitive for a decade, starting in 2-3 seasons. That’s all that matters to me.

Enjoy this great summer!
Somebody from my neck of the woods, nice!

Reactions: dinodebino

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
very calm summer for us. I'm surprise so many people speculated about Kent signing x players or trading for x players. The real summer start in 2025 for us. We will have so many old players leaving and making place for younger player (Demidov, Reinbacher, Hutson , Mailloux, Mesar, Beck....).

Reactions: jakobsbror

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
I would have done the Mathieu Joseph trade

he would have fit the Habs identity with his speed

Not sure the Sens would do any trade with Habs. Another rebuilding team in the same division will have to pay a premium. I'm sure they were already extremely unhappy when Debrincat forced a trade to Detroit

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The problem for Ottawa wasn't to trade away Chychrun. It was acquiring him in the first place.

He's so bad. Forget the name on the back of the jersey, he was useless. Soft, poor defensively and gave garbage effort. It reminds me of Dadonov absolutely dogging it when he was here.
Similar to the Tavares move in Toronto…in love with the idea rather than the actual fit

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal

Nick Paul

2nd round pick (2024)
2nd round pick (2026)
3rd round pick (2024)
3rd round pick (2025)

In exchange for:

1 year of Alex DeBrincat
1 year of Jakob Chychrun

Nick Jensen
3rd round pick (2026)
4th round pick (2024)
4th round pick (2024)
The Debrincat and Chychrun trade have been brutal for Ottawa.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The Debrincat and Chychrun trade have been brutal for Ottawa.

Doing things at random hoping to catch lightning in a bottle generally don't end well. In the Sens case they have that knack of finding a way to assume all the risk in every move they make as it hurt them when their acquisition come in and goes out, so every move become a double coup de grâce, so to speak.

Reactions: rahad

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
But you could get a 3rd for Dvorak at the deadline?
Exactly! This is a contract year for Dvorak. So he will probably play at 120% for his next (and last) NHL contract. Same for Armia and Savard. No need trade them now. I'm we would get far more in the next trade deadline.

Reactions: Dick Duff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad